Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Future Iraqi Prime Minister Named.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:42 PM

Former exile Iyad Allawi has been chosen to head an interim Iraqi government after sovereignty is handed back on 30 June.  

Mr Allawi - a Shia Muslim - was endorsed unanimously by the Governing Council, member Mahmoud Othman said.

A United Nations spokesman has said UN envoy Lakhdar Brahimi - who is charged with choosing the interim government - "respects" the nomination.

The cabinet will govern Iraq until direct elections scheduled for 2005.

Mr Allawi, a British-educated neurologist, left Iraq after turning against Saddam Hussein in the 1970s.

Chief US administrator in Iraq Paul Bremer attended Friday's session of the interim Iraqi Governing Council (IGC) and congratulated Mr Allawi on his nomination, according to an aide to the IGC quoted by the AP news agency.

Confusion

But the BBC's Jon Leyne at the UN in New York says Mr Allawi was evidently not Mr Brahimi's first choice and the UN's response has been most confused.  

The UN says that Mr Brahimi was not even in the room when Mr Allawi was named by the IGC.

Initially a UN spokesman in the region said Mr Brahimi welcomed the choice.

But later in New York, chief UN spokesman Fred Eckhard said: "Mr Brahimi respects the decision and is prepared to work with this person on the selection of the other posts in this interim government".

Mr Eckhard insisted there was no discrepancy between the two statements - but he conceded that the decision had not been announced in the way expected.

A senior official at the UK Foreign Office meanwhile said the IGC had "jumped the gun" by announcing Mr Allawi as their choice.

But Mr Brahimi had "anyway been coming to the conclusion that Allawi was the right person," the official added.

Iraqi survivor

In 1978, while living in London, Mr Allawi survived an assassination allegedly ordered by Saddam Hussein.

He later became a founding member of the Iraqi National Accord, a group of exiles backed by US and British intelligence that included many former military officers opposed to the Baghdad regime.

BBC Middle East analyst Roger Hardy says Mr Brahimi had originally hoped to form a government of technocrats - people not associated with the main political parties which dominate the Governing Council.

But leading Shia members of the council - including Mr Allawi - resisted what they saw as Mr Brahimi's attempts to bypass them, our correspondent says.  

They are reported to have joined forces to oppose the appointment of respected scientist  Hussein Shahristani as prime minister - and insisted that the top job should go to one of their own.  

Consultations

Mr Brahimi is engaged in consultations with Iraqi politicians to select a 30-strong team - which will also include a president, two vice-presidents and 26 ministers.
It will formally become the sovereign government of Iraq when the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) is dissolved on 30 June.

Under a US-UK plan currently being discussed by the UN Security Council, a US-led multinational force is due to remain in the country.
A new constitution is to be drawn up and put to a referendum in 2005.

Full elections are expected at the end of 2005.  

Source: BBC News

#2    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:48 AM

Wouldn't you a bit nervous being the guy that replaces Saddam after a hostile regime change? Eeek.

Makes me think the of the Eddie Murphy skit where he considers the first black president of the US and how he would have to be constantly dancing around to avoid making a good target...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#3    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 01:39 AM

Now I hope he stays hidden away and surrounded by bullet-proof glass.  ph34r.gif  

#4    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 29 May 2004 - 01:56 AM

I hope he is getting paid well and has a good life insurance policy. Scary stuff, not a job I would like to take up.

#5    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 29 May 2004 - 02:07 AM

the way things are going he'll probably be killed before he even gets into office

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#6    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 08:44 AM

Maybe the US do not want to be made scapegoats again if anything happens to the new prime minister, don't blame them either if this is the case... However you know maybe they should finish the job...

US Distances itself from Iraqi PM

US Secretary of State Colin Powell has insisted that the decision on who will lead Iraq after the handover of power rests with the United Nations.  

Earlier, the White House welcomed a decision by the Iraqi Governing Council  to nominate Shia former exile Iyad Allawi as interim prime minister.

But Mr Powell said it was up to the UN special envoy to Iraq, Lakhdar Brahimi, to confirm the post.

The UN response has been cool, speaking only of "respect" for the decision.

When Iraqi sovereignty is returned on 30 June, the interim government will lead the country until national elections in 2005.

Mr Brahimi has been in Baghdad for a few weeks trying to put together a team including a prime minister, president, two vice-presidents and cabinet ministers.  

But the naming of Mr Allawi came from the Iraqi Governing Council in a surprise announcement on Friday.

"I'm pleased that Mr Allawi has that kind of support," Mr Powell told reporters in Washington.  

"We have no position on any candidate at this moment because we are waiting to hear from Ambassador Brahimi and he needs time to complete his work."

Unexpected announcement

Earlier, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Mr Allawi was "a fine and capable leader who appears to have broad support among the Iraqi people".

The BBC's Jon Leyne, at the UN, says Mr Allawi was evidently not the first choice of the UN envoy.

In New York, chief UN spokesman Fred Eckhard said: "It's not how we expected it to happen."

But he said Mr Brahimi "respects the decision and is prepared to work with this person on the selection of the other posts in this interim government".

A British government official in London said the Governing Council had named Mr Allawi prematurely, but the UK considered him a good choice.

Mr Allawi - a British-educated neurologist who left Iraq after turning against Saddam Hussein in the 1970s - was endorsed unanimously by the Governing Council.  

Chief US administrator in Iraq Paul Bremer attended Friday's session of the Governing Council and congratulated Mr Allawi on his nomination, AP news agency reported.

The UN says Mr Brahimi was not even in the room when Mr Allawi was named by the IGC.

Continued here

Edited by Lottie, 29 May 2004 - 08:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users