Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Televised Seance

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (Chauncy @ May 31 2004, 03:52 PM)
You'll have to write us up a nice little synopsis of the show AndyThorely.

Here's a picture of medium Colin Evans  levitating at one of his crowded seances in the 1930's (London)

user posted image

I'm sorry, but at what point does a levitation become a lynching? He looks like he is swinging from the tallest oak in town after a botched bank robbery.

I wish I could have seen the show, I love this kind of stuff.

i had a good friend who was big time into magic, and tought me how to do several different tricks. The biggest thing that I learned from his is that magic looks incredibly difficult until you know the trick.

In learning how a trick was done, I noticed that I had always guessed the trick to be far more complicated than it actually was. David Blaine has a trick whereby he appears to levitate in front of passer-bys on a street. I burned out many a brain cell trying to figure out excatly how he did it in front of live people that weren't in on the trick.

I was really bummed when I learned how he did it, and it really changed how I look at folks that pull the same kind of tricks but do it under the guise of really being able to do it...psychics, mind readers, Uri Geller types...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#17    AndyThorley

AndyThorley

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

• You're only insane when you think you arent...

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (jimma @ Jun 2 2004, 09:23 AM)
QUOTE (MrScuzzles @ Jun 2 2004, 01:39 AM)
Hey, what was with the whole Russian Roulette stunt?  I don't get English TV so I don't know what happened.  I just heard he played Russian Roulette on TV.

Yes he did, he had to go to Switzerland to film it cos our authorities wouldn't allow it, but I think someone proved it to be a fake.  Like someone else said  DB is a Mental 'ILLUSIONIST'.  Just a magic trick.

There were so many things in that show that could have contributed to it being a fake.

So basically you had to trust them that they were doing as they said. I mean, having seen Derren Brown do some of the cool stuff he does is it really so hard to believe he guessed which chamber a bullet was in just by hearing his accomplice say the numbers?

Posted Image

#18    Boddhi

Boddhi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 10:06 AM

[QUOTE]David Blaine has a trick whereby he appears to levitate in front of passer-bys on a street. I burned out many a brain cell trying to figure out excatly how he did it in front of live people that weren't in on the trick. [QUOTE]

Me too - that Blaine levitation was so easy once you saw how it was done. It works brilliantly on people if you get the angles right and shows how simple magic tricks can be the best and most enjoyable.

Posted Image

#19    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:40 PM

The levitation trick by David Blaine is easy once you know how its done.

I have an e-book that I downloaded from a  P2P sharing site. It details these tricks quite thoroughly. Blaine's tricks were developed by others and he learned them, very effectively at that. If anyone wants the e-book, just PM me and I'll e-mail it to you. Its in .pdf format, I use Abode reader to open it.

user posted image

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#20    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:55 PM

Moreover, if you watch the Blaine TV special you can see him levitate a few inches off of the ground in front of bystanders, but also you see carefully edited cutscenes that show him levitating over a foot off the ground.

It was fairly easy to understand how the levitation of a few inches was reproduced. With viewers at the correct angle, it would be impossible to see the toes of the hidden foot still on the ground. What threw me was the cutscenes that showed him levitating a good foot off the ground with the camera panning down to the level of his feet to show that obviousely his feet weren't touching. I tried to figure out how he could have been lifted without the people standing there seeing any booms or cables.

Come to find out the cut scenes were filmed after the crowd was shoo'd away, Blain would then be hooked to a wire and lifted a foot off the ground with no one there to witness the act. That scene would then be carefully edited into the footage that was in front of a crowd to make it look like the folks were reacting to his foot high levitation...cheap camera tricks...

I felt the same way when I figured out that "mentalists" and psychics often use audience plants to get the desired results...

Edited by fluffybunny, 02 June 2004 - 07:10 PM.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#21    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:09 PM

The way I understand it is when you see the people reacting it is directed at his few inch levitation. When you see it cut away from the audience and all you see is Blaine raised a foot off the ground, this was added in later in editing to elucidate further to the TV audience his levitation.

But the eye plays tricks as well. In some incidents it does appear that he is a foot off the ground, but this is due to the surface he is standing on.

This picture here shows this effect, the smooth solid colored surface makes it seem as if he is higher. This picture I can see him a foot off the ground, but I can also see his one foot still on the ground.
user posted image

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Posted Image

#22    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:15 PM

I understand how the levitation trick worked .  I still have no idea how he managed to give people back full cans of drink with out even so much as an edit .. I would pay good virtual dollars to any one willing to explain it to me ..

#23    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:32 PM

.. I would pay good virtual dollars to any one willing to explain it to me ..

You could go to this site and order all the things you need to perform the 'Healed and Sealed' magic can trick.
http://www.magic-more.com/index.asp?PageAc...PROD&ProdID=333

user posted image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users