Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

My biggest concern over Dec 21 2012

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

Nah, I think mankind is smarter than that - why? Because, we learned our lesson from the Roswell incident. ;)

#17    DrunkDwarf

DrunkDwarf

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

View PostTheSearcher, on 18 November 2009 - 10:42 AM, said:

Ah, so its just another new correlation put forth, there have been many of these. Are there any other articles to confirm that the majority of Maya scholars now agree that this specific correlation should replace the Goodman, Martinez, Thompson (GMT) correlation? Hopefully in English, Google translate tends to be awful.

EDIT: i found this link: http://channel.natio...f-maya-calendar which mentions Andreas Fuls, and does suggest that "Not every Maya scholar shares Andreas’ opinion", so it may still not be considered accurate yet. Ill keep searching for other articles.

Edited by DrunkDwarf, 18 November 2009 - 01:20 PM.

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - Terry Pratchett

Visit my blog at http://www.brianmcgillivray.com/

#18    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

View PostHerNibs, on 13 November 2009 - 08:46 PM, said:

:)  Nah, none of that happened Dec. 31, 1999.

I fully agree. And the supposed 1999 hysteria had theoretically been building up for a thousand years, not merely seven or eight.

The most violent thing that seems to have happened then was that some idiot dynamited a power pylon in one of the North-Wst states. Power to the grid was disrupted for a mere EIGHT seconds.

#19    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

To make things even more confused there are two different dates being evangelized for this particular "Doomsday" - 12/12/2012 AND 12/21/2012.

Drat! I'm going to have to spend NINE entire days under my bed!

Edited by OldTimeRadio, 21 November 2009 - 09:23 AM.

#20    ValkyrieVoice

ValkyrieVoice

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

• "Bubble, Bubble Toil And Trouble;
    Fire Burn, And Cauldron Bubble.
    Double, Double Toil And Trouble
    Something Wicked This Way Comes."

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:46 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 13 November 2009 - 08:46 PM, said:

:)  Nah, none of that happened Dec. 31, 1999.

Same scenario.  

I'm not worried.

Nibs
Yeah, but people weren't allegedly facing the end with Y2K. Only the collapse(s) threats of the monetary system(s)- so to speak. The people facing this alleged end would more than likely act differently, if they're to act at all.

"You Look Up When You Feel The Need For Elevation And I Look Down Because I Am Elevated. ..."

Thus Spake Zarathustra

-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

#21    Big Jon

Big Jon

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

u know what would be weird... if they schedueld a test for that big partical thingy that their trying to recreate the big bang with on dec 21 2012 i think people would be going crazy haha

#22    MetallicBlood

MetallicBlood

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

• You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

Why do I get the feeling that ever since the 90s ended with the bogus Y2K scare, there will always be some sort of "doomsday revelation" towards the end of every decade? Which of course never happens.

She stands out in a crowd, she thinks out loud to save her breath, with a portrait of her parents death.

#23    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

View PostLat, on 21 November 2009 - 07:52 PM, said:

Why do I get the feeling that ever since the 90s ended with the bogus Y2K scare, there will always be some sort of "doomsday revelation" towards the end of every decade? Which of course never happens.

It's actually been going on a lot longer than that. We just point these out because they have happened within our own lifetimes.

#24    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,255 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

View PostMace Windu, on 13 November 2009 - 08:42 PM, said:

It is Dec 20th and the weeks before hand. I don't believe the world will end, but there are going to be people that will go out looting and whatnot thinking it will end. That is what concerns me. Even if you do or do not believe that the world is going to end, you can all agree that the worst will come out in people in those last few weeks/days leading up to Dec 21. To me, the people are more frightening than the world ending.
i wonder if they will, or is the whole Mayan Calednar/2012 nonsense really only just known about among people who worry about conspiracy theories and blogs and similar things? I mean, how many people who see that 2012 movie really know what it's all about? The whole Mayan business, I mean.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#25    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:26 AM

View PostDrunkDwarf, on 18 November 2009 - 01:11 PM, said:

Ah, so its just another new correlation put forth, there have been many of these. Are there any other articles to confirm that the majority of Maya scholars now agree that this specific correlation should replace the Goodman, Martinez, Thompson (GMT) correlation? Hopefully in English, Google translate tends to be awful.

EDIT: i found this link: http://channel.natio...f-maya-calendar which mentions Andreas Fuls, and does suggest that "Not every Maya scholar shares Andreas’ opinion", so it may still not be considered accurate yet. Ill keep searching for other articles.

Erm sorry mate, the original article is in Dutch, not English, and yes the google translation page is awfull on a good day.
And of course not everybody agrees with Andreas Fuls, that's what science is all about, uttering a theory and then going about proving it over and over again.
This said, we're talking about the interpretation of mayan glyphs, about which there are many interpretations, made by scientists, one as validly qualified as the other. Time will tell (pun intended)

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#26    DrunkDwarf

DrunkDwarf

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:48 PM

View PostOldTimeRadio, on 21 November 2009 - 09:20 AM, said:

To make things even more confused there are two different dates being evangelized for this particular "Doomsday" - 12/12/2012 AND 12/21/2012.

Drat! I'm going to have to spend NINE entire days under my bed!

It was definately meant to be just the 21st of December 2012 (The Winter Solstice), the 12th is just something that was spread by the crazies during their scaremongering attempts, the 21st was at least based on something.

Edited by DrunkDwarf, 23 November 2009 - 02:51 PM.

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - Terry Pratchett

Visit my blog at http://www.brianmcgillivray.com/

#27    realmcutter

realmcutter

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

The one thing that concerns me is going to be all the suicide cults killing themselves. It'll give alot of occultists and smaller religions/practices an even more misconscribed image than there already is. And another problem is where to loot first  :w00t: .

#28    Harakuro

Harakuro

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

• The unknown is to be known, and what is to be known will be known to me.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

I cannot disagree completely with Mace, because it is possible with a Galactic alignment to influence psychology the behavior of some human beings. Added to that the thought of a possible end of the world.

It is possible that the Galactic alignment will have some effect, just as how some people act differently in respect to lunar activities.

But these are just assumption, no one really know what can happen.

What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.

#29    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

View PostSolidSnake, on 23 November 2009 - 03:36 PM, said:

I cannot disagree completely with Mace, because it is possible with a Galactic alignment to influence psychology the behavior of some human beings. Added to that the thought of a possible end of the world.

It is possible that the Galactic alignment will have some effect, just as how some people act differently in respect to lunar activities.

But these are just assumption, no one really know what can happen.

there will be no planetary alignment, and probably not any Galactic one. but, if there was some galactic one, how again would this have an influence on human psychology?

the truth is out there....

#30    Harakuro

Harakuro

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

• The unknown is to be known, and what is to be known will be known to me.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 23 November 2009 - 04:15 PM, said:

there will be no planetary alignment, and probably not any Galactic one. but, if there was some galactic one, how again would this have an influence on human psychology?
Galactic alignment is not planetary, it is solar alignment with the equator of our Milky Way Galaxy.

I had read that the energy of the super-massive black hole in the center of the galaxy travels more strongly in the equator.

I cannot answer how it could influence humans in behavior, however, it is proven that our moon can have effect on human behavior.

All in all it is theory that the same phenomena could happen with an alignment.

But I do not have proof of this, so it's just a 'What if'

What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users