Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

unpopular science

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    The Gryphon

The Gryphon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

• There are no such things as accidents, only plans that others have made and failed to tell you about!!

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:12 PM

When I was a kid I could hardly wait for Saturday morning to watch those cheesey shows like the Thunderbirds and Fireball. You guys probably don't even know what I'm talking about but they displayed future tech and such built around an implausible storyline. I also liked Popular Science and Mechanic's look into the future and seeing drawings of Mars highrises with men wearing Fedora's and pinstripe suits (Fedoras; that's a type of hat for you young guys and gals)
Anyway I found two sites that if anyhting are good for a laugh and at least a few, "They thought about that then?" type thoughts. Have Fun

http://www.davidszondy.com/future/futurepast.htm

http://www.retrofuture.com/

"when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever
remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
-- Sherlock Holmes in The Sign of the Four

#2    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,417 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:50 PM

Just yesterday I saw a movie poster for "Thunderbirds!", with actual people rather than puppets, but with some of the same vehicles from the show.  Brought back many memories.

#3    The Gryphon

The Gryphon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

• There are no such things as accidents, only plans that others have made and failed to tell you about!!

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:29 PM

I had heard a rumor about the movie, might be fun just for kicks.  

#4    Catrat

Catrat

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

• What is strong wins: that is the universal law. If only it were not so often precisely what is stupid and evil!
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:37 AM

Aaaaah I loved the Thunderbirds when I was a kid...still do in fact (heheh and i'm 16!)! Haven't seen them for ages though sad.gif  

If your parents never had children, chances are you never will either..

#5    jeceris

jeceris

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

• THERE AIN'T NO DEVIL, IT'S JUST GOD WHEN HE'S DRUNK- TOM WAITS

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:48 PM

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!!!!!    thumbsup.gif  

ottawa senators hockey

there was THIS year

#6    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:31 PM

I remember when I was a kid, Time-Life books came out with a series of books that showed what things were going to be like way in the future...

There would bethe futuristic flying cars of course. Everything in the home would be automated and voice controlled. Moving walkways would replace all of the sidewalks in the city...It goes on...

I used to read those books and dream about having a flying car. You know when the books said we would have all of those things? By the year 2000 thumbsup.gif

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#7    The Gryphon

The Gryphon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:00 PM

Sad but true 2000 was supposed to be flying cars and submarines, man must have faltereed somewhere. I did look up the new Thunderbirds movie and it looks like Johnathan Frakes (Cmdr Ryker) is directing it. Maybe someday we'll get back on the visionary trek.

#8    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:25 AM

The flying car is just around the corner. Its ready for our taking.
http://www.moller.com/skycar/

user posted image

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#9    Dan Luna

Dan Luna

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

• Ghost of a moon technician from a future long ago.

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:34 PM

Wow, those "Stories of the Stars" covers are unbelievable! I too used to get very excited watching "Space 1999" and thinking what life would be like only 20 years in the future crying.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users