Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Yet Another Section Vanishes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,721 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 June 2001 - 08:02 PM

This forum couldn't have been in a more appropriate web site, the entire General Discussion section vanished earlier, with no explanation. I have reverted it to last weeks backup again, and I am at a loss as to the cause. It's possible that someone is managing to tamper with the forum files, however it is more likely that there is some sort of fault in one or more of the code files.

If no explanation comes up within a day or two, I will re-install the forum from scratch - all posts up until last week will still be here, however a re-initialisation of the entire forum may put a stop to these problems for good.

#2    Jamie

Jamie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 June 2001 - 10:15 PM

;D SaRuMaN,

Computers do wierd things to files sometimes.  Maybe they do actually have some A.I. we dont know about yet.  I hope it all works out when you fix it.   ;)

JAMIE

#3    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 19 June 2001 - 10:42 PM

Bummer,

I'm going to have to start archiving my posts on my computer. All my good posts are disappearing faster than I can type. :-/

MAGIKMAN

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#4    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 20 June 2001 - 12:36 AM

NOW I see what you are all talking about!  When I checked here yesterday and couldn't read the posts, I thought you had created a secret code for members that I hadn't been informed of yet!!! I still do not understand what is happening, as I said before I am computer illiterate!!!

NORA

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#5    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 20 June 2001 - 09:50 AM

SaRuMaN,
      Do what i do when something in my comuter doesn't work. Hit the tower or punch the screen as hard as you can. Doesn't usually solve the problem but it's worth a try.  ;D

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#6    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 11:02 AM

SaRuMaN

Like Nora stated, Im computer illiterate too.

BUT WE HAVE FAITH IN YOU :D

Homer[glow=color,strength,width]

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#7    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,721 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 June 2001 - 12:16 PM

Right the Forum has been totally re-initialised, all of the files have been re-uploaded, so if any of them were corrupted, they should be fine now. I have restored the Cryptoozology and Book sections as well to last weeks backup, and with any luck the problems will not happen again.
( famous last words )

If anyone comes across any more of these problems, let me know and I'll see what else I can do.

Sorry for any posts that have been deleted - but fortunately I did have a recent backup or the forum would be rather empty right now.  ;D

#8    Jamie

Jamie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 04:41 PM

[MOVE]YEAH FOR SARUMAN
Glad to see everything is up and running again.  Good job.  ;D :D :) :P

Jamie

#9    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 20 June 2001 - 10:57 PM

To the Webmaster of this site, and all other puny humans,

Perhaps you didn't understand

RESISTANCE
        IS
   FEUDAL

.... or something like that. Think dark and sinister. Anyway, we will not be triffled with. You HAVE been warned! Further non-compliance to our demands will not be tolerated. Total destruction of this forum is emminent. You are to become 'one' with the universe.

WE ARE DUM
Devotees Unifying Mankind

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#10    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 21 June 2001 - 05:07 AM

We bow to your awesomeness (is that really a word?)  Anyway, should we get ready for the 'mind-meld' now? :o

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users