Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Meat grown in laboratory in world first

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    StoneAgeQueen

StoneAgeQueen

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:01 PM

Anyone read the book "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood? This sounds like Chickie Nobs.  :o

#17    lookingfortruth

lookingfortruth

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

Scientific discoveries continue to amaze me!

#18    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

View Postglyndowers heir, on 30 November 2009 - 09:18 PM, said:

So this is good news for animal welfare?

What do you think is going to happen to all those moo cows, piggywigs, lambsies and chooks once they have perfected artificially grown meat? :unsure2:

Of course they will all be set free and allowed to live out their lives in peace and harmony won't they? :innocent:

News for you, Once we don't need them they will all quietly be allowed to become extinct, (i would imagine in about 1 week following the decision to go totally synthetic) after all why waste resources on animals that have no further use.

Mmmm - Soylent Green anyone? :devil:

Exactly my thoughts.  Our livestock is the result of centuries if not millennia of breeding efforts.  Giving all of that up in favor of some pseudo-meat does not seem prudent somehow.

#19    Kratology

Kratology

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 84 posts

• No rest for the wicked.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:05 AM

that picture just ruins it for me. they should have showed a picture of a tee-bone or something...
the hell is it suppost to be anyways?!?! burnt fish?!

#20    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:38 AM

View PostStrify, on 30 November 2009 - 09:00 PM, said:

i'm vegetarian, but i think that's gross

i'd rather eat real animals that.
imagine all the chemicals it'd have in it  :unsure:

I'm not a vegetarian, but my thoughts were the same as yours. It's a little too weird for me. . . we're gonna be eating meat that was produced in a lab within 5 years (according to the article)? Cloning the animals that produced the best meat wasn't enough - now we're just gonna "grow" our own?

This type of technology creeps me out. I think sometimes it's best to let natural things actually occur naturally.

#21    MrLeon

MrLeon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:16 AM

I am vegetarian, one of the reasons I became one,  is when I learn how some of the meat is processed or prepared.
Like those chicken nuggets from McDonald's who really knows what is in them??
sausages? Have you ever seen those pieces of Jamon Serrano (some type of pork) from Spain? they look like momified pieces of meat. What's in the Spam cans?
I don't see much difference between meat from lab and all these type of meats.
Just my two cents

#22    Perdition

Perdition

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:55 AM

View PostMrLeon, on 02 December 2009 - 04:16 AM, said:

I am vegetarian, one of the reasons I became one,  is when I learn how some of the meat is processed or prepared.
sausages? Have you ever seen those pieces of Jamon Serrano (some type of pork) from Spain? they look like momified pieces of meat. What's in the Spam cans?
Just my two cents

Ha, I was once told Spam had chemicals that can cause cancer.

* Signature removed, as it breaks the 50k size restriction *

#23    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

suppose you have to have a love of dogs and/or livestock breeding of any kind to appreciate that. It takes time and effort to create the perfect breed with the desirable traits and so considerable time and effort needs to go in to preserving those traits.  

I LOVE dogs. I don't love breeding though, I suppose. Seems like human folly to continue to breed a dog that isn't needed anymore. I just think that when a breed's use goes away, if that breed doesn't transition into another modern use, it should be allowed to fade away. The labrador is an excellent example of a breed that should stick around, because although it's original intention is not popular any longer (most people dont' hunt waterfowl or pull in nets full of fish), the traits that made it a successful fisherman's and hunter's dog make it a good family dog: it is gregarious, gets along with other dogs and animals, is happy, good around kids, compliant, eager to please, etc. etc.

But other breeds, IMO it is not doing anyone, including the dogs themselves, to continue to breed dogs that have a high drive to do something that is no longer done, unless that breed can transition well to a modern use, even if it is just companion dog. idk. I hate the AKC though. I think that they have done more harm to dogs than good.

#24    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

View PostDurgaMata, on 01 December 2009 - 01:40 PM, said:

Let's face it we need to kill to eat.
Yep and that includes plant and fungi.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#25    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

View PostMrLeon, on 02 December 2009 - 04:16 AM, said:

Yes I have.

In Europe, just chicken breast.
http://www.mcdonalds...nu_item=3314#dl
You can check the ingredients list though.

sausages?
Are wonderful, especially dried cured on ones and bratwurst from the Wein nacht markt.

Have you ever seen those pieces of Jamon Serrano (some type of pork) from Spain? they look like momified pieces of meat.

It is dried cured ham and one of the most amazing taste experiences there is, similar to prosciutto di Parma and prosciutto di San Daniel. All that is done to they is salting and drying.

Fresh hams are trimmed and cleaned, then stacked and covered with salt for about two weeks in order to draw off excess moisture and preserve the meat from spoiling. The salt is then washed off and the hams are hung to dry for about six months. Finally, the hams are hung in a cool, dry place for six to eighteen months, depending on the climate, as well as the size and type of ham being cured. The drying sheds (secaderos) are usually built at higher elevations, which is why the ham is called mountain ham.
http://en.wikipedia..../Jamón_serrano
It is one of the finest foods in the world.

What's in the Spam cans?
Spam

Just my two cents
Erm, you have Serrano ham on that list and you are comparing it to lab produced meat. :no: That is sooooo wrong it is silly.
And vegetarian food can be just as full of rubbish, it just tastes much worse too.

Edited by Mattshark, 02 December 2009 - 02:14 PM.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#26    Der

Der

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:48 AM

View PostNeognosis, on 01 December 2009 - 01:56 PM, said:

First off, some will go to zoos.

second, animals that are raised for food now will just live out their usual life expectancy and be slaughtered at the same time they would have been, they just won't be replaced IF the synthetic meat can be made cheaper.

And lastly, all our domesticated food animals are species modified and created by man through selective breeding. Their wild counterparts, for the most part, still exist. Man made the domestic cow and pig and chicken, it is not a horrible thing for them to largely disappear if man stops using them for food.

Like with domestic dogs... you hear on dog shows about "the west georgian cart pulling Mastiff" and you hear how the species was once almost extinct, as west Georgians don't need dogs to pull carts anymore... but the breed was revived due to "the noble efforts" of someone named something like Sir Rowly Fizzlewigs or something like that. Why, exactly, is reviving a breed man created "noble" when man doesn't need that kind of dog anymore, so stopped breeding them?
This.

View PostMattshark, on 02 December 2009 - 01:36 PM, said:

Vegetarian food can be just as full of rubbish, it just tastes much worse too.
Also this.

#27    Paramys

Paramys

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:03 PM

scientists are growing meat without animals http://www.totallyof...ithout-animals/

Check out my paranormal page and give a like www.facebook.co.uk/Paramys

#28    Whateversmurf

Whateversmurf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

I'm a vegetarian, but i still could not eat meat now. I mean even if my body would not get sick i just don't think that i would be able to eat it, muscle tissue? i think its disgusting, but it's great if those who eat meat would start eating this kind of meat instead of regular.  :yes:

Edited by Whateversmurf, 22 February 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#29    Whateversmurf

Whateversmurf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

View PostMattshark, on 02 December 2009 - 01:36 PM, said:

Yes I have.

In Europe, just chicken breast.
http://www.mcdonalds...nu_item=3314#dl
You can check the ingredients list though.

Are wonderful, especially dried cured on ones and bratwurst from the Wein nacht markt.

It is dried cured ham and one of the most amazing taste experiences there is, similar to prosciutto di Parma and prosciutto di San Daniel. All that is done to they is salting and drying.

http://en.wikipedia..../Jamón_serrano
It is one of the finest foods in the world.

Spam

Erm, you have Serrano ham on that list and you are comparing it to lab produced meat. :no: That is sooooo wrong it is silly.
And vegetarian food can be just as full of rubbish, it just tastes much worse too.

Actually vegetarian food is very healthy and it tastes great, if it didn't i couldn't be a vegetarian. But i don't know how it is in your country.

#30    xris

xris

Conspiracy Theorist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

Can any one remember George Adamski in the 60s claiming he went for a ride on Venusian flying saucer ? he claimed the aliens had produced synthetic meat similar to beef steak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users