Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The most absolutely horrifying thing ever!

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#1    _Zombie_

_Zombie_

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

• braaaiiins...

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:14 AM

what do you think the most absolutely scary cryptid/whatever you feel like posting is? why do you think it's scary? also, what's your favorite ice cream?

Forgive me for lack of capitals, but i cut a tendon in my thumb and shift is hard to use. well, i think the scariest cryptid ever is probably the freakin' mothman. although it seems completely fabricated, it still chills me to think of driving on a dark night and seeing that grey thing with those piercing bike reflector eyes. gives me the freakin' heebie jeebies. and my favorite ice cream? ben and jerrys phish food. now it's your turn u-m. scare me. also, make me think of delicious creamy frozen confectionary treats

sanctio exsisto thy nomen
Is quisnam ingredior illa sanctio aula
victus mortuus
Nunquam Unus.

#2    Cascade

Cascade

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

Giant Spiders. I've got severe arachnophobia, so gargantuan versions of those hairy, eight-legged little monstrosities doesn't sit well with me.

As for ice cream.... I dunno. Probably cotton candy-flavored or something.

Posted Image

#3    _Zombie_

_Zombie_

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

• braaaiiins...

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

actually, i would have said zombies now that i think about it, but i want that to happen.. so i don't know..

victus mortuus
Nunquam Unus.

#4    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Sandersnista

• 6,621 posts

• "Can't deny you're implacted, in the mayhem in my mind. You got me so frustrated, you should be mine!" - Rebecca Black, Person of Interest

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

It depends on the situation though, so I'm going to preface it with:

"You're walking alone in the winter, about a mile from home, it's dark with only a dim fingernail moon, and you're cutting through the darkened woods on your way back from visiting a friend in a nearly abandoned part of town, about half a mile back, to your house; the immediate area is also a bit in need of some maintenance on the grass and vegetation and limbs and leaves. There is a sound before you and slowly you catch partial sight of a silhouette of..."

Mothman's pretty high up there I think.  If you consider "Grays" cryptids, I go with those tops though. I think Chupacabra would be pretty dadgum scary.  

I think the weirdest and scariest would be something I read about in a report from the 70s - this "thing" came out of the woods to where a group of like 5 guys were out hunting and camping - it frightened them so bad they dropped everything, piled in the truck and floored it, but the thing chased them and kept up with their truck. Eventually the driver's adrenaline turned from flight to fight, and he stopped the truck and they all got out and attacked the creature. It fought them off and almost grabbed a couple of them, and seemed none the worse for wear, so, terrified again, they got back in the truck and finally outran it and brought the police back. The creature? What could most closely be described as a giant, walking octopus.

Make mine peanut butter please.

| Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252 hrs/4yrs

#5    _Zombie_

_Zombie_

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

• braaaiiins...

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

...whoa. octopi are freaky enough in the water, dude. having one haul out and chase you around would freak out even chuck norris.. thanks for being so descriptive in yours, and i didn't even know peanut butter ice cream existed! oh, and anything is cool. it can be gray aliens blue aliens cryptids, a piece of cheese you once found under the fridge.. just whatever scares you.

Edited by _Zombie_, 03 December 2009 - 10:36 AM.

victus mortuus
Nunquam Unus.

#6    Rory

Rory

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

• Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Ro-ry!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

Wow, I think you could make that octopus chasing after a truck very funny if you added the Benny Hill Music to it.

First the men run from the octopus, then they attack it, then it runs after them again! lol

#7    667-Neighbor of the Beast

667-Neighbor of the Beast

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

• "I get to be the bearer of good news...."

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:37 PM

View PostRory, on 03 December 2009 - 01:03 PM, said:

Wow, I think you could make that octopus chasing after a truck very funny if you added the Benny Hill Music to it.

First the men run from the octopus, then they attack it, then it runs after them again! lol
And of course, during the chase, the octopuss accidentally rips the dress off of some lady standing at a bus stop who happens to be wearing leingerie and garters.  Then the octopuss patts the bald guy on the head making a smacking sound with its suction cups.
Now, I am going to have that song stuck in my head all day.

There is justice in the world.

#8    667-Neighbor of the Beast

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

As for the most horrifying thing, I would have to say shadow people.  I've been told stories about these things that absolutely make your hair stand on end.  The most memorable one being from a supposedly leading expert in the field.  She was asleep in her bed, which the beds headboard was up against a wall.  She awoke one morning to find a shadow person, half in, half out of the wall, leaning over her, and it's "face" was only a couple of inches from hers.
If something like that happened to me, I would absolutely lose all control of bodily functions.

#9    Drago

Drago

Annoying Skeptic Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

• Bolted doors and windows barred,
    Guard dogs prowling in the yard,
    Won't protect you in your bed,
    Nothing will, from Pumpkinhead.

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

667: You wouldn't be able to.  Those kinds of things are called hypnagogic hallucinations and during them, the brain believes it's still asleep and doesn't allow any real control of body muscles - to tense or relax them - because it doesn't want you doing what you're doing in the dreams and hurting yourself.

Just so you know.  >_>

The freakiest, weirdest cryptid?  I'd have to say the Chupacabra.  Not Chuppies, the actual creature described in the legend.  Though it's a close race between the Chupacabra and the Lizardman.  A lot of people don't know it but the first report of the Lizardman was a very violent one involving an attempt on human life, and a mangled car - one side-view mirror was torn off, and there were deep gouges in the metal of the door and the roof where it tried to gain entry.

Really though, there are horror stories about every cryptid.  Even everyone's pet Biggy-F has some pretty frightening stories about it.  Since they all seem to have inspired some level of fear, you could really just take your pick at random if you wanted.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn!

Attention all '2012 is when the world will end' advocates: If, on January 1st 2013, the world has not ended, I will expect a written formal apology from each of you.  That is all.

#10    LostInTheWoods

LostInTheWoods

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

Holy moly! This is some scary stuff.
A walking land octopus? WHAT? That's mental. I believe it.
Are any of these stories on the net? Google is not yielding much.
What is a Gray?

If I was faced with a bear i'd probably be so scared i'd give up. Just let it kill me. That'd be less scary than being chased by one of the things.
Mm...
Slenderman is quite terrifying.

I'm not one for ice-cream. Vanilla.

#11    Captain_Geek

Captain_Geek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

I think the weirdest and scariest would be something I read about in a report from the 70s - this "thing" came out of the woods to where a group of like 5 guys were out hunting and camping - it frightened them so bad they dropped everything, piled in the truck and floored it, but the thing chased them and kept up with their truck. Eventually the driver's adrenaline turned from flight to fight, and he stopped the truck and they all got out and attacked the creature. It fought them off and almost grabbed a couple of them, and seemed none the worse for wear, so, terrified again, they got back in the truck and finally outran it and brought the police back. The creature? What could most closely be described as a giant, walking octopus.

Make mine peanut butter please.

In The Future Is Wild, they showed how evolution might run after Man left Earth or became extince and far in the future suids dominate the land.  One of them was a Giant Walking Squid bigger than an elephant.  It wandered woods where the trees were filled with arboreal squids swinging from the brances.  

Cthulhu wins eventually.

#12    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

View Post_Zombie_, on 03 December 2009 - 09:28 AM, said:

actually, i would have said zombies now that i think about it, but i want that to happen.. so i don't know..

Lets kick this up a notch. My ex-wife comming back as a zombie and chasing me, yikes LOL  In my profile I have all my zombie stuff at the ready LOL

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#13    667-Neighbor of the Beast

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

View PostDrago, on 03 December 2009 - 03:26 PM, said:

667: You wouldn't be able to.  Those kinds of things are called hypnagogic hallucinations and during them, the brain believes it's still asleep and doesn't allow any real control of body muscles - to tense or relax them - because it doesn't want you doing what you're doing in the dreams and hurting yourself.

Just so you know.  >_>
Actually, this report came from a woman who saw these things her entire life, while awake, during the day or night, in many different places.  So, no, it is not hypnagogic hallucinations.  As to he mental condition or whether or not these things are real is another subject.  And when people say they would soil themselves under certain conditions, they do not literally mean that they would actually soil themselves.  It is simply an expression.  But, thanks for the unneeded correction and info.

#14    Drago

Drago

Annoying Skeptic Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

• Bolted doors and windows barred,
    Guard dogs prowling in the yard,
    Won't protect you in your bed,
    Nothing will, from Pumpkinhead.

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

View Post667-Neighbor of the Beast, on 03 December 2009 - 05:59 PM, said:

Actually, this report came from a woman who saw these things her entire life, while awake, during the day or night, in many different places.  So, no, it is not hypnagogic hallucinations.  As to he mental condition or whether or not these things are real is another subject.  And when people say they would soil themselves under certain conditions, they do not literally mean that they would actually soil themselves.  It is simply an expression.  But, thanks for the unneeded correction and info.

That's fine, I know Shadow People people.  It's supposedly a spiritual thing and I'm not going there I know better than to get into a 'discussion' on the reality/existence of spiritual things.
But she said she saw this one half on/half off the wall immediately after awakening.  This makes it sound to me like this isn't a behavior she sees as typical for them, or something she'd never seen before, since it deserved special mention.  She also specifies it happened immediately on waking up.  Something she'd never seen before, immediately on waking up?  To me it says that instance was a waking hallucination.  I'm not saying she's seeing things - I don't get into those kinds of discussions.  I mean that single instance as described.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn!

Attention all '2012 is when the world will end' advocates: If, on January 1st 2013, the world has not ended, I will expect a written formal apology from each of you.  That is all.

#15    Cascade

Cascade

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:50 PM

View PostDrago, on 03 December 2009 - 03:26 PM, said:

Just so you know.  >_>

The freakiest, weirdest cryptid?  I'd have to say the Chupacabra.  Not Chuppies, the actual creature described in the legend.  Though it's a close race between the Chupacabra and the Lizardman.  A lot of people don't know it but the first report of the Lizardman was a very violent one involving an attempt on human life, and a mangled car - one side-view mirror was torn off, and there were deep gouges in the metal of the door and the roof where it tried to gain entry.

Really though, there are horror stories about every cryptid.  Even everyone's pet Biggy-F has some pretty frightening stories about it.  Since they all seem to have inspired some level of fear, you could really just take your pick at random if you wanted.

Now that you compare the two....

Chupacabra's original reported form and Lizardmen look rather... similar.

Posted Image
The typical Lizardman description

Posted Image
The original Chupacabra description

See the similarities?  :blink:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users