Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Twilight

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#1    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

The Ultra One

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:06 AM

Everywhere I look nowadays, I see Twilight this or Twilight that.  If it isn't that it's some new show with vampires everywhere in it.  I read the first Twilight book and it was like something a high school kid read, an average one at that.  I realize I'm not the target audience, but these books are a massively popular.  To you who like the books or the movies or whatever, why do you like them?  What makes this series so great?  I would really like to know because I can't figure it out for the life of me.

#2    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:17 AM

I don't like it, but I can tell you why they do.

#3    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

The Ultra One

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:31 AM

???

#4    Ryinrea

Ryinrea

Princess of Yang

• 2,593 posts

• "Clark, you can't save the world. All you'll end up with is a messiah complex and a lot of enemies." -Lex Luthor Smallville

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:29 AM

It a mary sue fiction that is why they like it.

I freaking hate the thing. Its a disgrace to good books everywhere.

“In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.” - Thomas Jefferson

#5    Rosewin

Rosewin

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

It is romantic, many of us want to love and be loved by just one person and loved forever.

It is easily relatable too, simple non-complex writing does that, many of the situations she writes about, some of us have been in, such as being interested in someone and they seem to ignore you, and you are like wtf why are they ignoring me? So you find out.

Also for me personally it would be the magic, I love all things magic, dark but also bright light, shining, sparkling magic too.

If any of the above does not appeal to one it is very understandable they will not enjoy Twilight. Also for me not watching any television with commercials helps heaps since I have no clue about the aggressive marketing campaigns and hype which would be a turnoff.

Edited by Rosewin, 04 December 2009 - 09:44 AM.

#6    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:41 PM

Kaysorry.

People, mainly women, eat it up because it is a first person narrative. That's the base here. And, Rose finally hit the nail on the head, people want to love and be loved. Rather, they want to "love" and be "loved" by the ultimate, most handsome, most bad-ass baddy out there, rather than someone who is realistic. More over that, they would prefer a one-night stand with someone like Edward than a life time with their boyfriends or husbands. I've even heard stories of girls breaking up with their boyfriends because they weren't up to scale with Edward (or even that they were waiting for Edward), and Meyer even said she would divorce her husband if she met someone like Edward (now, that's commitment for you! I just don't know who she's committed to. Personally, I think it ought to be the psych ward).

Naturally, it is not about romance or love, it is about class, status, and the conformist in us humans. There's nothing about Edward to love other than his physical appearance, which is described so many times that it is embedded in a reader's brain. Meyer's style of writing is like a vacuum. It sucks a reader in, because it is so easily read, but it also sucks all of the good judgment out of a person, if they're not an experienced reader. It can literally dumb someone down, because they begin looking at the books as reality, instead of fiction. It's a combination of the first person narrative and the overload of description, two giant key points in sucking up your readers. You don't just consume them, you make sure that your reader IS the main character. Bella is not only a reflection of Meyer, but she is so simple and mailable that absolutely any person who reads these books can put themselves in her position. They're not just the reader anymore, they are Bella, and suddenly it comes to the point that they don't just want Bella's life, but that they are living it.

#7    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,961 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

I find it really sad that so many women seem to think love = completely submiting to the will of a man. Seriously if these books were by a guy there would be book burnings. The mind boggles.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#8    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,970 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:57 PM

View PostCorp, on 04 December 2009 - 04:53 PM, said:

I find it really sad that so many women seem to think love = completely submiting to the will of a man.

It's the way things should be.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#9    Moon Minion

Moon Minion

OFFICIALLY A LUNATIC!

• 1,612 posts

• “I don't know if there are men on the moon, but if there are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum”

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:56 PM

View PostCorp, on 04 December 2009 - 04:53 PM, said:

I find it really sad that so many women seem to think love = completely submiting to the will of a man. Seriously if these books were by a guy there would be book burnings. The mind boggles.

View PostSweetpumper, on 04 December 2009 - 04:57 PM, said:

It's the way things should be.

Well, he was as the book constantly points out Gorgeous, and posed that danger, his family is rich and he is super strong and immortal with the prospect of turning her immortal too. OH AND he sparkles like diamonds!!!! DIAMONDS are a girl's best friend!!!! Somehow I think all that is whats reeled the female fans in.

It's the ideal of a petty fantasy. Not my cup of tea...but...

I want total honesty here boys...if the tables were turned and it was about a normal guy who met said female vampire who was stunning, had it all as far as physicality goes anyway...the looks, the bod and to top it off she is rich and seriously only has eyes for you, and may turn you immortal...just curious, does that appeal to you?

Posted Image

#10    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

The Ultra One

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:25 PM

I have read literally hundreds of books.  Most have been really good, some have been average, and some have sucked completely.  Twilight is average.  I don't hate this book, but I DO hate when I see all these teens and even some adults claiming that it is a great novel or anything along those lines.  Disclaimer: I've only read the first one, but from what I've heard, it's pretty much the same along the spectrum.  The main character has few if any redeeming qualities, and if what EbonyKrow said is true, I find it highly disturbing that this is the kind of life women want.  If so, then young girls must be far more emotionally unstable than I've ever known.  Bella is a complete wuss and clumsy and narcissistic to boot.  She only cared about herself in the first one, even to the extent of everyone else close to her.  And Edward, good god.  Constantly telling how beautiful someone is or constantly writing about the same thing on every page is BAD WRITING.  We get it, he's handsome.  But what other redeeming traits does he show in the first book?  I didn't see any.  I guess the main reason I'm so up in arms about this is because I'm passionate about reading and people will say that it's a "good romance" or "literature" when it really isn't.  You want romance, try Wuthering Heights or any of the 5 million novels superior to this one in that genre.  But I think that's the problem, today's generation seems to have an extremely short attention span.  Perhaps they need it to be written this way for it to be interesting.  I don't know, but whatever the reason, I encourage others to always seek out better and better novels, doing so broadens your horizons and teaches you things about the human condition you won't learn from Bella and Edward.

#11    Moon Minion

Moon Minion

OFFICIALLY A LUNATIC!

• 1,612 posts

• “I don't know if there are men on the moon, but if there are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum”

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:51 PM

LOL I personally find it all very amusing ^_^

Alas...this is not the first time something disturbing has amused me. Yes I wont say that I loathe it as much as some, but I too think overall it's trash. But I don't get why people wonder why girls (some guys) like it soo much, why do heaps of guys droll over Megan Fox? (yes I know some don't but we're talking about the legions of guys that do) it's superficial teen-(general) lust, some adults are attracted to it for the same lustful reasons, there's nothing deep about it because it's solely based on physical gratification. Yes there may be no sex until the last book after marriage, but there doesn't need to be, the sexual tension between the two characters is obviously enough.  

IMO this story...is purely written in such a way to drain and drag out lust. It feeds the desires of the general hormonal teenager.

Edited by Moon Minion, 04 December 2009 - 06:55 PM.

Posted Image

#12    Great Big Sea

Great Big Sea

Poltergeist

• 2,459 posts

• We should respect a person not because who they are, but what they do with their life, is the way they earn our respect.

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:51 PM

I haven't read the Twilight Saga, and don't intend to read them, it's the fact that every damn book or show these day's has Vamps in them. I love to read but I'm a picky reader. Twilight, doesn't appeal to me.

"This is probably the strangest position I've been in on this show." Adam Savage.

"Notice how he says "On this Show." Kari Byron

Mythbusters.

#13    Rosewin

Rosewin

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

View Postkurethmu, on 04 December 2009 - 06:25 PM, said:

You want romance, try Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights is enjoying an unexpected renaissance in France after Stephenie Meyer fans picked up on repeated references to the novel in Eclipse, the third volume in the bestselling Twilight saga.

At one point during Eclipse, Meyer's heroine Bella quotes Cathy speaking about Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights, saying of her vampire lover Edward that "if all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger". Bella is torn between her feelings for Edward and her friend Jacob, a werewolf, much as Cathy is torn between Edgar and Heathcliff in Emily Brontë's classic.

"Sales went up 50% last year and since the start of 2009 they have continued to rise," said a spokeswoman for the book's French publisher Le Livre de Poche. She added that French bookshops have been selling Wuthering Heights alongside Meyer's Eclipse, which has helped to drive sales.

At chain store Fnac, the novel is described as the "favourite book of Bella and Edward, the two heroes of Twilight!" Teenage fansites are buzzing with chat about the book. "Fan de bella" thought it was "GENIAL" and "couldn't stop crying it was so beautiful", while "Flora" from Strasbourg said she'd "adored" it for its "unparalleled violence", its "mad poetry" and "profound passion". "Bella is the dignified descendent of the romantic Victorian heroine, which is seen in her sometimes disproportionate, slightly mad reactions, which are reminiscent of a certain Catherine," said a third commentator.

http://www.guardian....thering-heights

#14    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

The Ultra One

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:07 PM

View PostRosewin, on 04 December 2009 - 07:04 PM, said:

See, this is what I don't understand.  I think Meyer was a Lit Major.  That's very strange that someone who's read so much is such a bad writer at times.  I'm glad to see the above article, now people can enjoy one of the greatest novels ever written.

#15    StoneAgeQueen

StoneAgeQueen

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

Twilight is popular for the same reasons as the Da Vinci code- it's written in small, easily digestible chunks, so as not to tax the little brains that would quickly give up on reading proper literature. Fact is, the general populace don't want to have to use their brains too much. If you want a good book recommendation, don't look at any best sellers lists.

The target market for such a book is probably the same people who don't usually read anything other than celebrity magazines. :mellow:  As an adult, I would be embarrassed to admit I enjoyed reading about teenage vampire's romances.

Equally ridiculous are the adult Harry Potter fanatics. If you want romance then read some of the classics.

Edited by StoneAgeQueen, 04 December 2009 - 07:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users