Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Egyptians tormented by bad teeth

UM-Bot

A review of studies performed on Egyptian mummies over the past 30 years has revealed that the ancient Egyptians suffered from a plethora of dental problems as well as several other diseases and disorders.

"Worn teeth, periodontal diseases, abscesses and cavities tormented the ancient Egyptians, according to the first systematic review of all studies performed on Egyptian mummies in the past 30 years. "

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Discovery News

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• UM-Bot

• cluey

• ShadowSot

Top Posters In This Topic

A review of studies performed on Egyptian mummies over the past 30 years has revealed that the ancient Egyptians suffered from a plethora of dental problems as well as several other diseases and disorders.

"Worn teeth, periodontal diseases, abscesses and cavities tormented the ancient Egyptians, according to the first systematic review of all studies performed on Egyptian mummies in the past 30 years. "

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Discovery News

that's no big surprise really!!!!!........not like they could book an appointment with their local dentist!!...well they could......but it would have been more....some numbing agent and an abscure form of pliers :yes:

I remember there was one mummy, it was a queen, who had apparently die from a infection caused by a bad tooth.

Bad teeth seems to be a problem for humans since they started to eat mainly grains. There are many finds of sedentary people in the late stone age with awful teeth diseases.

But then..sugar or starch + bacteria = acid. Acid dissolves calcium. Teeth are mostly calcium. Elemental my dear Watson.

I've always wondered about this. It isn't like there were dentists back then. So what could be done? That would've been a hellacious time to live in for me.

I've always wondered about this. It isn't like there were dentists back then. So what could be done? That would've been a hellacious time to live in for me.

Well, if you talk Egyptians in times after about 2000 BC there were plenty of specialized doctors, including dentists. (In fact the first female doctor practiced around 2400 BC).

Now, the methods used were slightly cruder than the ones used today.

Well, if you talk Egyptians in times after about 2000 BC there were plenty of specialized doctors, including dentists. (In fact the first female doctor practiced around 2400 BC).

Now, the methods used were slightly cruder than the ones used today.

Interesting factoids. I get shivers just to think about what those cruder methods were.

The only bit of ancient dentistry I recall myself was the use of urine to whiten teeth in ancient Rome. (The ammonia in one's urine apparently was quite helpful for that) wonder if the Egyptians did that as well.