Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Waterworld' Is Most Earth-Like Planet Yet

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,492 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

news.sky.com said:

Astronomers have discovered a new "waterworld" 40 light years away, raising the chances of the existence of Earth-like planets.

Evidence suggests it has an atmosphere, and astronomers believe it to be more like Earth than any planet found outside the Solar System so far.

Although the planet is thought to be too hot to sustain Earth-type life, it is believed to consist of 75% water.

Planet GJ1214b is six times bigger than Earth and was discovered orbiting a small faint star 1.3 million miles away.

Although its red dwarf parent star is 3,000 times less bright than the Sun, it hugs the star so closely that its surface temperature is an oven-hot 200C.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Benz

Benz

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

• Neck Yourself

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:37 AM

wow 200 degrees celsius

Posted Image

#3    thefinalfrontier

thefinalfrontier

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,586 posts

• When a chicken hawk is around a wise rooster will not bury its head~ ~ ~ ~ Barney Fife~ ~ ~

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

Also this world being six times the mass of earth one has to wonder what the gravitational affect may have on any potential for life there,

#4    Mr Black

Mr Black

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

• If the Avvie made you smile once, i'm happy

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

I guess if it was 75% water then the chances of life is pretty high, considering one would assume that the temperature in deep water would be significantly lower, and that is assuming and basing it on earth life, chances are the potential life would have adapted to the atmosphere....

alot of assumption, but thats all we can do :D

*WARNING* - Expect typos!

JB FAQ

* I have a dry sense of humour, any sarcasm that offends was not meant to do so.
    * I am a sceptic at heart, however am open minded to new ideas and experiences
    * If i dont reply ive probably lost track of the thread overnight and cannot be bothered to trawl through new posts

#5    TrueLiez

TrueLiez

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

wow, just... wow!
imagine; a planet 6 times larger than earth. So that means; 6 times more water than earth.
And I asume it's very cloudy planet???

#6    Raina

Raina

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 246 posts

• A flying saucer results when a nudist spills his coffee.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

This is just so cool.  Opens the imagination to all kinds of possibilities.  The temperature shouldn't hinder life.  How hot is it where those tube worms grow along the volcanic cracks in the ocean floor here on earth?   I love reading about stuff like this, I wish we had the capabilities to go site seeing and traveling the universe.  It sucks to learn all this stuff is there and we can't go see it first hand.   Maybe my great, great, great, great grandbabies will some day.

I just looked up those worms and found that the temps around the vents are 360 degrees, around 5000 feet below the surface and life swarms around them, with no sunlight.  Hydrothermal Vents

Edited by Raina, 17 December 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#7    jbondo

jbondo

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

I wonder what kind of light the dwarf provides to the planet? Seems that daytime would seem like dusk, with a reddish hue of course.

#8    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:46 PM

well the name is certainly convinving :huh:

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#9    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,893 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

I may not know much about physics, but why doesn't the water boil if it's that hot? Or is this some extraterrestrial water that has different, and perhaps magical, properties?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#10    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,893 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:39 PM

i do, though, think that Waterworld is certainly a better name than GJ1214b. Though perhaps Kevin Costner might want royalties if it's called that. Though heaven knows, it's about the only way he's going to make any money out of that film. :-/

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#11    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,797 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

747400, on 17 December 2009 - 03:35 PM, said:

I may not know much about physics, but why doesn't the water boil if it's that hot? Or is this some extraterrestrial water that has different, and perhaps magical, properties?

My guess is, while the surface experience evaporation from direct sun exposure, the deeper regions of its oceans are cold, maybe even ice at the very bottom. Therefore, for the most part, it would keep the overall temperature below boiling point.

With an atmosphere, cloud formation and precipitation happens in a similar fashion. Although, the problem here would be rainfall wouldn't have a chance to touch the surface as it would evaporate instantly.

Or, the atmosphere captured so much steam and cloud formation, it actually produce a cooler environment instead of causing a greenhouse effect? Who knows. It's a bit boggling.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#12    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

True coolishness. Can't wait for the sequel.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#13    cyrus11

cyrus11

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:26 AM

doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.. that planet and it's brown dwarf star could be the nibiru of antiquity.  since the universe is expanding.. nibiru has escaped our solar systems pull and now it orbits on its own regular path with it's star.  I mean I don't think nibiru had came back into our solar system in a very long long long long time, it might have eventually followed it's star and free'd itself from us.  :D

#14    TRUEYOUTRUEME

TRUEYOUTRUEME

Psychic Spy

• 2,006 posts

• We Have Heaven

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:01 AM

So we go from two new discoveries of Water on the Moon to the discovery of Waterworld all in a few months.  Wow!!!!  :tu:

From the article:

He said some of the planet's water should be in the form of exotic materials such as Ice Seven - a crystalline form of water that exists at pressures greater than 20,000 times the Earth's sea-level atmosphere.

Of course the LCROSS mission was in search of exotic ice as well.

Dont hurt the Moon

#15    Malakthrin

Malakthrin

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 169 posts

• When Injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:54 AM

747400, on 17 December 2009 - 03:35 PM, said:

I believe pressure also has something to do with the temperature that it takes to boil water.  I'll see if I can't find any source to back that up but I am pretty sure...

Edit, from Wiki but there are references:

A liquid in a vacuum environment has a lower boiling point than when the liquid is at atmospheric pressure. A liquid in a high pressure environment has a higher boiling point than when the liquid is at atmospheric pressure. In other words, the boiling point of liquids varies with and depends upon the surrounding environmental pressure.
http://en.wikipedia....i/Boiling_point

Edited by Malakthrin, 18 December 2009 - 04:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users