Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Waterworld' Is Most Earth-Like Planet Yet

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

I wonder if our visitors from outerspace (if they exist of course) have any photos of their trip there? Fascinating to see their holiday homemovies of the extreme lifeforms..wow..imagine that.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#17    GeistOnerz

GeistOnerz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• always seek a second opinion

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:46 PM

i bet the planet would have some life form with bio-luminescence capability on the surface like plankton or shiny algae

“And Graffiti commanded man to paint all walls with bright and lively colors, do not fall prey to the evil of the buff, of dripping brown paint and sandblasted emptiness”
Krylon 2:16-17

#18    jbondo

jbondo

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

Waterworld has become a cult favorite. How can you not like a film where Tom Petty is the leader of an elevator settlement? I think a sequal should be made that combines Waterworld and The Postman. It would be called "Post-Waterworld", LOL!

#19    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

View Postjbondo, on 17 December 2009 - 02:43 PM, said:

I wonder what kind of light the dwarf provides to the planet? Seems that daytime would seem like dusk, with a reddish hue of course.
that would depend on what chemicals was in the sky.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#20    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:01 AM

View Postthefinalfrontier, on 17 December 2009 - 10:03 AM, said:

Also this world being six times the mass of earth one has to wonder what the gravitational affect may have on any potential for life there,

Well done.. ;)

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#21    TRUEYOUTRUEME

TRUEYOUTRUEME

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

• We Have Heaven

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:08 AM

View PostParacelse, on 19 December 2009 - 07:01 AM, said:

Well done.. ;)

Yes with the exception that even on earth we know of live forms that existed with more than six times the mass of man (even more like 20X) and we also know of life forms more than six thousand X (times) less then the mass of man as well.

Dont hurt the Moon

#22    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:44 AM

View PostTRUEYOUTRUEME, on 19 December 2009 - 07:08 AM, said:

Yes with the exception that even on earth we know of live forms that existed with more than six times the mass of man (even more like 20X) and we also know of life forms more than six thousand X (times) less then the mass of man as well.
in the case of life forms it isn't the mass of the creature but the amount of muscle.  a creature born on our world would have trouble moving on that planet at least for a while.  where as the single celled variety shouldn't have any trouble at all.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#23    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,648 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

View Postdanielost, on 19 December 2009 - 12:46 AM, said:

that would depend on what chemicals was in the sky.
Only partially. An atmosphere can absorb or scatter light but it can not affect the quality or quantity of light that is received.

In the case of a red dwarf star there is a big difference in the light arriving in the first place. Because it is much cooler than the sun it produces much redder light (hence the name). Even with an earth like atmospher the light would be lacking the blue wavelengths we are used to (as these are produced at higher temperatures than are achieved by the surface of a red dwarf). To our eyes the light would seem very red. As jbondo said, it would seem like dusk or dawn.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#24    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:50 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 19 December 2009 - 01:43 PM, said:

Only partially. An atmosphere can absorb or scatter light but it can not affect the quality or quantity of light that is received.

In the case of a red dwarf star there is a big difference in the light arriving in the first place. Because it is much cooler than the sun it produces much redder light (hence the name). Even with an earth like atmospher the light would be lacking the blue wavelengths we are used to (as these are produced at higher temperatures than are achieved by the surface of a red dwarf). To our eyes the light would seem very red. As jbondo said, it would seem like dusk or dawn.

not real sure about it being twilight all the time.  a planet with six times the mass would hold in about six times the atmo.  meaning it would hold in more light.  thus it may be as bright there as here during the day.

Edited by danielost, 20 December 2009 - 02:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users