Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Angels can't fly, scientist says

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,363 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

Angels depicted heralding the birth of Jesus in nativity scenes across the world are anatomically flawed, according to a scientist who claims they would never be able to fly.

A leading biologist has compared the physiology of flighted species with the representations of spiritual and mythical creatures in art – and found the angels and fairies that sit atop of Christmas trees did not get there under their own steam.

Prof Roger Wotton, from University College London, found that flight would be impossible for angels portrayed with arms and bird-like feathered wings.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    NightMoon

NightMoon

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

This time of year will always have christmas themed news!  :D

#3    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,137 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

According to a renowned professor, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly by all the laws of physics. This is true.

In any case, angels don't rely on aerodynamic lift, do they; they use some form of anti-gravity propulsion. That's obvious.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#4    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:15 AM

LOLz

Man, i'd like to get payed for research like that.

Today's research: "Why redheads can't be attractive mermaids."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#5    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:41 PM

Angels can't fly because they wouldn't exist to be able to fly

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#6    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:17 PM

All sculptors who've studied the figure are aware of this. The wings of angels have no logical bone and muscular structure connecting their wings to the rest of their bodies.  Actually the sculpture in the Louvre Museum in Paris that's called "Winged Victory" (not a Christian angel but a humanoid with wings) has a pretty large, muscular set of wings.  Angel depictions with serious wings look really cool.

I read somewhere that the Judaic concept of angels having wings comes from the time the culture spent enslaved by Egypt.  Depictions of gods in Egypt often included human bodies with animal parts (like, Horus had the head of a falcon).

Given the fact that angels (which I don't believe in) aren't physical beings with weight, there's no reason they would need serious wings.  But it is interesting to wonder how an angel who had a physical body would have to be constructed.
Posted Image
Here's a pic of Winged Victory.  The arms have broken off over the ages but they would have attached normally at the shoulder.

I guess if Winged Victory were actually a flying creature it would have to be proportioned like this:
Posted Image

Edited by Siara, 22 December 2009 - 02:36 PM.

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:02 PM

Angels do not have to fly, because they can teleport. If you accept the idea of angels then you believe in God, and thus in miracles. Angels do not have to actually move anywhere, they just are there or they are not.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:48 PM

angels are allowed to break the laws of physics beccause they work for god who wrote the laws of physics :tu:

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#9    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

The Ultra One

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:08 AM

What a ****, if angels serve the God who made the universe and set its laws in motion, they would be able to do anything he gives them power to do.

#10    Voyager10

Voyager10

Bass City Roller

• 2,374 posts

• "The light in the window
    Is a crack in the sky
    A stairway to darkness
    In the blink of an eye"
    -Ozzy Osbourne

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:17 AM

Apollo riding his chariot across the sky is not scientific plausible but that does not mean the Sun doesn't exist.

Posted Image

http://beam.to/dreamjournal
No matter how I try I find my
way into the same old jam

-Led Zeppelin

#11    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,798 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

This article is one big cliché. Scientists, who normally don't believe in religion, conduct a study on angels and the possibility of flight. What a waste of money.

This is almost as bad as when a university professor did a psychological study on Bugs Bunny, only to conclude to his class that he was in fact gay.  :rolleyes:

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#12    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• 1,813 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

This article assumes that angels, fairies, are physical beings, but if they exist, they are most likely to be metaphysical, "Nature Spirits" that are made up of energy and are completely spiritual in nature, that only take on humanoid forms so that humans can relate to them.

#13    www375

www375

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

• Everyone knows this is nowhere

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

View Post:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:, on 23 December 2009 - 12:47 PM, said:

This article is one big cliché. Scientists, who normally don't believe in religion, conduct a study on angels and the possibility of flight. What a waste of money.

This is almost as bad as when a university professor did a psychological study on Bugs Bunny, only to conclude to his class that he was in fact gay.  :rolleyes:

HE WAS NOT!!!
You take that back!     :no:

Edited by www375, 23 December 2009 - 01:37 PM.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

#14    Papa Whiskey

Papa Whiskey

HooDoo Man

• 3,286 posts

• Man is the unnatural animal, the rebel child of nature. - H.G. Wells

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

Just adding my voice to the "What a moron!" crowd.

Edited by Paul Noise, 23 December 2009 - 01:49 PM.

And finally, anyone who uses the terms "irregardless", " a whole 'nother" or "all of the sudden", shall be sent to a work camp!

#15    Larving

Larving

Remote Viewer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

He has clearly forgotten to take "magic" into account.  :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users