Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Creepy Book Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#16    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

View PostDusk_Nightmare, on 26 December 2009 - 01:12 AM, said:

Believe me, that book gave me nightmares. Even to this day... :blink: You must mean the 2000 movie 'The Cell' starting Jennfier Lopez.
The cell was a joke" the movie that is" Jennifier Lopez sucks as an actor.the book is better.

#17    SoloCell

SoloCell

Government Agent

• 3,284 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

The Bible. Blood, guts, torture, murder, ghosts, demons, the devil, war, genocide, natural disasters, pestilence, plagues, hell, damnation, mutilation, incest, beastiality... the list goes on and on. An enduring classic for over 800 years.

#18    Drago

Drago

Annoying Skeptic Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

• Bolted doors and windows barred,
    Guard dogs prowling in the yard,
    Won't protect you in your bed,
    Nothing will, from Pumpkinhead.

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

View PostPaul Noise, on 29 December 2009 - 08:33 PM, said:

The Bible. Blood, guts, torture, murder, ghosts, demons, the devil, war, genocide, natural disasters, pestilence, plagues, hell, damnation, mutilation, incest, beastiality... the list goes on and on. An enduring classic for over 800 years.

Don't forget that it's all caused by the good guy!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn!

Attention all '2012 is when the world will end' advocates: If, on January 1st 2013, the world has not ended, I will expect a written formal apology from each of you.  That is all.

#19    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

View Postbrlesq1, on 26 December 2009 - 04:12 AM, said:

Clive Barker is very creepy.

Clive Barker's 'Imajica' is a great book. :)

'The Reality Dysfunction' by Peter F Hamilton is a very good one to (and pretty disturbing).

#20    Erowin

Erowin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

• This is incredibly silly!

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:08 PM

You'd love House of Leaves! It's an interesting book, and SUPER creepy!  :tu:

#21    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

View Postploppy, on 29 December 2009 - 01:25 PM, said:

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  Posted Image  I can't find The Site, I'll try looking for more info. What's it about?

I've now gotten my hands on another Dean Koontz book (finished The Taking in space of a day&a half). I got Phantoms.
Also got the Shining and been trying to get a hold of Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House".

When I say 'got' by the way I mean 'downloaded' for my Ereader. I got it for christmas and now it's given me an excuse to read more.

Ploppy, a books not a book, unless you can hold it in your hands and turn the pages, at the end Kiss it, if it grabs you!

Do not talk to me of the Koontz. He is my FAV author. I have read almost everything by him. Try "The Watchers" - EXCELLENT!

"The Site", is published by Pan Macmillan Australia. 1996.  The isbn NUMBER IS (0-330-35733-6) if you want to order it from a booksellers/

Posted Image

#22    Drago

Drago

Annoying Skeptic Dude

• 1,562 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:42 PM

Watchers?  It was okay - I think its best use was introducing concepts Koontz would later use a lot more effectively in the Christopher Snow stories, quite possibly some of his best work.
If I had to rate a list of Koontz' creepiest...

1: Twilight Eyes (Oh GOD that book was good.)
2: Shadow Fires
3: Fear Nothing/Seize the Night (A series.)
4: Phantoms
5: Darkfall

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn!

Attention all '2012 is when the world will end' advocates: If, on January 1st 2013, the world has not ended, I will expect a written formal apology from each of you.  That is all.

#23    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:53 PM

View PostDrago, on 29 December 2009 - 11:42 PM, said:

Watchers?  It was okay - I think its best use was introducing concepts Koontz would later use a lot more effectively in the Christopher Snow stories, quite possibly some of his best work.
If I had to rate a list of Koontz' creepiest...

1: Twilight Eyes (Oh GOD that book was good.)
2: Shadow Fires
3: Fear Nothing/Seize the Night (A series.)
4: Phantoms
5: Darkfall

Well, I liked the Snow stories, but not madly. Same with the "Odd Thomas" books, but not mad on them either. I do love the Frankenstein books though,.. the latest one the best yet
Fav ever by Koontz is the book " False Memory."

Another excellent book, if your into scarey but fantasy, is Raymond E. Feist "Faerie Tale"... brilliant!Posted Image

Posted Image

#24    Drago

Drago

Annoying Skeptic Dude

• 1,562 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:07 AM

Faerie Tale!  I read that one in like, eighth grade after I found it in the school library!  I've been trying to remember the name of that for YEARS!

I think.  Is that the one where the family moves into this house by the forest and eventually the daughter gets raped by Puck before one of the little twin brothers gets sent to Faerie on some crazy rescue mission?

That book was freaky.  o_o  Especially back then.  It was the first time I read anything that treated the whole concept of the fey and fairies with any kind of seriousness, much less that level of darkness.  I've been looking for one of those stones with a hole worn in it ever since.  >_>

And Koontz's Frankenstein stories are good, I'm just not sure I'm willing to call them great.  I have trouble using the term great for what amounts to alt-real fanfic, however great it may actually be.  XD

Edited by Drago, 30 December 2009 - 12:12 AM.

#25    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:15 AM

Stephen King's Bag of Bones and Duma Key. "Ghost" creepy without the gore factor.

#26    ploppy

ploppy

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:13 PM

Hey the Ereader was a gift and one I'm grateful for. I still get books but this way I can read even more for free. I'm not one of those people that needs to have the physical book or the cd, dvd ect. At the end of the day it's still words just this time on a non-paper screen.
Great suggestions coming I'm going to add most of them.

#27    Oubli

Oubli

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

• Ich Sehe Alles, und alles ist gerade dabei laut aufzuschreien.

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

Try Night Stalks the Mansion.  I believe it may be out of print, but you can still get it on Amazon.  It is supposed to be a "true" haunting story.  It has lots of atmosphere and is not outrageous like Amityville.  Very subtle, but creepy and told by the father, who seems well-educated.  It almost reads like a mystery with the history of the house being told throughout the book with somewhat of a sad ending, not for the family, but what happened at the mansion.

Also, try Ghost Story by Peter Straub.  Not a lot of blood and guts there, definitely tons of creepy atmosphere.  The storlyine unfolds slowly, creepily and in mystery fashion.  I could go on forever.... :-)   I love spooky books!  

The Stand is an excellent book, but is more end of days/judgment day than spooky or creepy.

#28    IronGhost

IronGhost

Government Agent

• 3,430 posts

• "DON'T TAZE ME, BRO!"

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

"Weaveworld" by Clive Barker is good, and I just read "False Memory" by Koonzt and that is good, too.

www.ironghost.wordpress.com

#29    Rhungobains

Rhungobains

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

• There's a moral to this story
    Though your cordwangle be poor -
    Keep your hands off others moulies,
    For it is against the law...

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

'Woman In Black' by Susan Hill was pretty creepy.

The man is mentally ill. I've seen him eat a plastic pie!

#30    Roughneck

Roughneck

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

• Certainly no potato.

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:06 AM

View Postkarl 12, on 25 December 2009 - 04:40 PM, said:

'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson is quite a shocker - much better than the crappy film. :)

:tu:

Aye.  The 'legend' he is in the book is much better than the 'legend' he is in the movie.  But that's just my opinion.

I also thought Bram Stoker's Dracula was pretty creepy.  But that might have to do with me reading it at age 12.  For some shock value, I'd recommend reading Stephen King's The Mist THEN watch the movie.  The ending in the movie is technically true to the book, for a particular reason, which I won't ruin for you.

You point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting into two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users