Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 4 votes

Ancient Astronaut Theory

• Please log in to reply
1927 replies to this topic

#1846    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 20 October 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

Thanks for clearing that up, Harte. I appreciate the link, and this time I will save it. ;)

I forgot about the skeptics dictionary! I love it!!

TY!

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#1847    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,529 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

After a little more digging I found out more about the "Lolladoff Plate" and do not think it has anything to do with von Däniken. It is a hoax, however. There's a great blog I'd recommend called Bad Archaeology, which I've been enjoying lately. It's written by an archaeologist fed up with the vast amount of junk spewed on the internet and in fringe circles, and he has an article on this fake artifact.

It's not von Däniken's work, then. Indeed, if anything, the "Lolladoff Plate" is a level or two more sophisticated than what von Däniken seems capable of. :lol:

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#1848    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,966 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 20 October 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

After a little more digging I found out more about the "Lolladoff Plate" and do not think it has anything to do with von Däniken. It is a hoax, however. There's a great blog I'd recommend called Bad Archaeology, which I've been enjoying lately. It's written by an archaeologist fed up with the vast amount of junk spewed on the internet and in fringe circles, and he has an article on this fake artifact.

It's not von Däniken's work, then. Indeed, if anything, the "Lolladoff Plate" is a level or two more sophisticated than what von Däniken seems capable of. :lol:
Like I said, I might be wrong about that.

I saw that episode of the BBC's "Horizons" program broadcast on PBS as part of it's "Nova" series years ago and can't recall the pottery.

But the program is still available for purchase from PBS (last I checked.) I suggest someone pony up the cash and buy it.

If anyone does, please upload it to youtube and link me so I don't have to put out any cash! LOL

JHarte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#1849    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,104 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:48 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 20 October 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

Thanks for clearing that up, Harte. I appreciate the link, and this time I will save it. ;)

How could I forget about that one??

That's a new one for my blog.

:tu:

#1850    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,529 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

View PostHarte, on 21 October 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

Like I said, I might be wrong about that.

I saw that episode of the BBC's "Horizons" program broadcast on PBS as part of it's "Nova" series years ago and can't recall the pottery.

But the program is still available for purchase from PBS (last I checked.) I suggest someone pony up the cash and buy it.

If anyone does, please upload it to youtube and link me so I don't have to put out any cash! LOL

JHarte

If you happen to know the precise episode to purchase and can provide a link, Harte, I will seriously consider buying it. I have no problem with that--as long as it's in DVD format. My old VHS player hasn't worked for a long time.

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#1851    Harte

Harte

• 8,966 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 21 October 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

If you happen to know the precise episode to purchase and can provide a link, Harte, I will seriously consider buying it. I have no problem with that--as long as it's in DVD format. My old VHS player hasn't worked for a long time.

Case Of The Ancient Astronauts (The)
NOVA investigates the theories of von Daniken and others that the Earth has been visited by intelligent beings from outer space. Among claims examined are: that the building techniques used in the Great Pyramid of Cheops are so advanced that only an extraterrestrial intelligence could have built it; and that the engraved stones of Palenque in Mexico depict an ancient astronaut at the controls of a space rocket.
Original broadcast date: 03/08/78
Source
Surprise!!!  This link might have the episode online, but it's not loading on my work computer:
http://www.sidereel....son-5/episode-8

This is the first time that vid has appeared in the several searches I've done for it over the years.

Harte

Edited by Harte, 21 October 2011 - 03:00 PM.

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson

#1852    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,529 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

View PostHarte, on 21 October 2011 - 02:59 PM, said:

Source
Surprise!!!  This link might have the episode online, but it's not loading on my work computer:
http://www.sidereel....son-5/episode-8

This is the first time that vid has appeared in the several searches I've done for it over the years.

Harte

That gets me going in the right direction. Unfortunately it's not loading on my computer, either, which is odd considering my computer is specifically loaded for any and all graphical formats. Some problem on their end, evidently. If I can get the video to load on my own computer at home, which mirrors my work computer, I might be able to extract it from the browser and into my hard drive.

I can't seem to find any way to locate the video for purchase, which I would like to do. It's so old that maybe that option isn't available. <_<

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#1853    Harte

Harte

• 8,966 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

I found this:

In 1976, Horizon produced one of its episodes on the ancient astronaut hypothesis of Erich von Däniken. The show was re-edited for an American audience and aired in the United States by the Nova science series on PBS. Unfortunately, neither the BBC production nor the Nova version (The Case of the Ancient Astronauts, first aired in the United States in 1978) is currently being sold or rebroadcast, but some university libraries or anthropology departments may own old copies.
Source

Harte

Edited by Harte, 21 October 2011 - 05:23 PM.

#1854    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,529 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

View PostHarte, on 21 October 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

I found this:

Source

Harte

Well, that sucks.

At least you cleared up the chain of events for me.

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#1855    TheMilkman

TheMilkman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:54 AM

An excerpt from a new documentary regarding the 1961 archeological discovery of alien evidence in Africa:

#1856    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

View PostTheMilkman, on 28 October 2011 - 01:54 AM, said:

An excerpt from a new documentary regarding the 1961 archeological discovery of alien evidence in Africa:

Any reason  you're posting this video?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#1857    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 31 October 2011 - 07:29 PM, said:

Probably the same reason he's been posting other similar videos (presumably from his/her YouTube account) in multiple threads.

#1858    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 31 October 2011 - 07:54 PM, said:

Probably the same reason he's been posting other similar videos (presumably from his/her YouTube account) in multiple threads.
Yeah, I think it's his or her youtube account as well. Don't know what Groucho marx has to do with it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#1859    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,529 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 31 October 2011 - 07:29 PM, said:

It's "evidence," you know. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#1860    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

I'm hoping that his videos are intended to be a tongue in cheek parody.  That's the impression I get from watching the few that I've watched anyway.  If they are intended to be serious, they are pathetically bad. :lol:

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users