Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UM-X launching soon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,080 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

Just in time for the beginning of a new decade our major new site update UM-X ( version 10 ) is very nearly completed and will be going live within the next few days. UM-X is a massive overhaul of the design and coding of our main site that will see the front page, news, columns, videos and encyclopedia sections revamped as well as see the introduction of a new navigation system and a new Google powered search engine to find anything you need anywhere on the site.

The new design is quicker, more efficient and easier to use; a navigation and breadcrumbs bar at the top of the page will give you the means with which to jump from one section to another. The front page news is being spruced up with more prominent top stories and an at-a-glance summary of the latest articles, stories and forum topics. All your favourite content will still be there including a continued commitment to offering up to the minute RSS feeds for our news and articles as well on our Twitter and Facebook.

On top of the immediate changes the update will serve as the foundation of a series of planned updates and new features that aren't possible with the current design, the ageing gallery section will also be seeing an update soon plus there are plans for a few improvements to the forum as well.

Um-X won't quite make it in time for January 1st however it will be going live very soon indeed, i'll be making another announcement the day before the update is due to launch so watch this space.

#2    thefinalfrontier

thefinalfrontier

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,586 posts

• When a chicken hawk is around a wise rooster will not bury its head~ ~ ~ ~ Barney Fife~ ~ ~

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:24 PM

Sounds awsome Saru, Cant wasit to see the improvements, :tu:

#3    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

Er... is the new update likely to be slower for me than this version is?  :unsure2:

Because while I'm sure it'll be great, that's what happened with the last update. It's either speeded up since or I just don't notice it any more, but this version was significantly slower on my computer than the last one.

*hopes not*

Posted Image

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,178 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:21 AM

View Poststorminateacup, on 01 January 2010 - 12:37 AM, said:

Er... is the new update likely to be slower for me than this version is?  :unsure2:

The new upgrade is designed to make the site faster. Details can be found here in Saru's Official UM Blog.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:23 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 01 January 2010 - 01:21 AM, said:

The new upgrade is designed to make the site faster. Details can be found here in Saru's Official UM Blog.
Ah, thank you. :tu:

Posted Image

#6    rassy

rassy

Stealth Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

• perception is not my reality

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:03 AM

This sounds really great! Many thanks to you and your slaves elves - ok, all the people that help, because I know it takes alot of work to keep this site running efficiently.  However, don't worry abt mising the new decade. It doesn't start until the end of 2010 anyways :lol:

Check out my new Website!

Posted Image

#7    nativechick1989

nativechick1989

Forum Divinity

• 22,956 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:58 AM

Sounds great....look forward to seeing it :)

#8    She-ra

She-ra

~♥ Princess Of Power ♥~

• 10,859 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:50 AM

Love it! You're the BEST!!♥

Posted Image

#9    newbloodmoon

newbloodmoon

cosmic wombat

• 1,874 posts

• "Only through absolute loyalty to each other can the few control the many." - Peter J. Carroll

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

sounds cool, looking forward to it.

A newcomer asked to be shown the way to the monastery, and Chao-chou replied:  "Have you finished eating your rice?... Then go wash your bowl!"  Therupon the monk gained instant enlightenment.

#10    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,623 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

Sounds good  :tu:

Posted Image

#11    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,951 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

Cool.  Always great to have upgrades.  Is the new update going to make the Search Function more user-friendly?  It seems to me that since I was here last, there have been some good updates, but the Search Function only shows the first two lines of a post in your Search List.  The old system allowed you to search an entire post, which made it so much easier to find the post you were looking for.  

If we could fix that, this'd be great.  Cheers :)

~ PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#12    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,080 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

This update is purely for the main site sections so the forum search won't be changed however I will be turning my attention to developing a few forum improvements once the UM-X update is up and running.

That said the new search engine on the main site will be able to search the forum as well so there will be two options available for finding forum content - the new search will produce quick and clean Google-style results.

#13    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,763 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

What are the most likely updates on the forums taking place?...Will the Site be taken down while the update is going on or will only the Homepage taken down?

Thanks
B???

Posted Image

#14    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,080 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

I don't have any specific details about any upcoming forum changes at the moment.

For the main site update there won't be any downtime, the switchover process will take literally seconds.

#15    Superman

Superman

Psychic Spy

• 1,856 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:57 AM

View PostSaru, on 01 January 2010 - 05:43 PM, said:

For the main site update there won't be any downtime, the switchover process will take literally seconds.

But within those handful of seconds, someone won't be able to log onto U.M. and will hatch up yet another conspiracy that the Illuminati has taken over the staff of Unexplained Mysteries.

I'm waiting for the update for U.M. that has holographic imagery and gives us moderators control over his or hers own personal death laser er.. yes, holographic imagery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users