Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

Sleep Paralysis stories

• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#121    techguy010

techguy010

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

hi im new. and i had my first ever sleep paralysis this morning. i woke up at first and at weekends im not aloud to get up till 8:00am and it was about 7:33am so i layed on the bed on my back (normaly i lay on my side) and closed my eyes sometime later i was in a dream i was at school and such... then i woke up from the dream but i could not move my room was blurred out and all i could hear was my werid breathing and very loud heart beats. i paniked and tried to breath properly because i thoght it was a heart attack then i was trying to yell for my mum but i could not. after i little while i was able to sit up again. and i realized i had just had sleep paralysis whitch my mum had told me about before because she has got it a few times. luckliy i did not see or hear anything scary. but i was scared i was going to die. im 15 and do have lots of anxiety issues and extreme OCD

#122    Paranomali

Paranomali

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

• “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

I personally have never had an experience (thankfully) however my dad has had several I believe but has only told me about 1. He was in bed and believes he was wide awake. He felt a presence and then felt a heavy weight on his chest. He believes it was an old woman and that he needed to prove his strength so he began pushing her up and yelling my mums name. My mum was awake and heard my dad whisper her name once, but he believes he was yelling and shouting her name. He said he struggled with this woman but finally 'won' and pushed her away and off him.
Quite frightening. That house it happened in was an old house, and the previous owner was an elderly woman who had died. He thinks she came back as he was renovating the house. I have heard however that seeing an old woman is a classic experience during sleep paralysis.

#123    MagicLogic

MagicLogic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:04 AM

Sleep Paralysis is something I've been dealing with since I was a teenager, though the episodes have decreased as I get older (I'm almost 35 now). It can be a pretty terrifying experience, yes, but for me I think it's mainly because of the feeling that I no longer have control of my body which is what tends to bring on the nightmare aspect of the dream itself. It would be easy to tell people to try to stay calm while it's happening but then I've only ever managed to do that once... and that was quite the experience itself.

How it usually goes for is that once I've woken and am paralysed I'll go through the usual gammut of fear and struggle ( I think we all know what that's like, no need to explain it further), but when I regain control and am awake I will change position and try to go back to sleep. I'm used to it now. But the kicker is that when I try to go back to sleep I will hear a sound like rushing water, and I'll feel like I'm vibrating, and then a feeling of falling suddenly from a presupice. This is what scares me the most, because there is still a lingering fear and I'm never sure what will happen if I let myself fall. Another thing is that just before I feel the fall I immediately return to the dream I was having before I woke up. And when I feel the fall again I'm paralysed. And it continues like that until I can either get to sleep normally (finally) or I have to get out of bed to clear my head a bit.

I have an idea about this that I've formed after reading about other's experiences. A lot of people hear some kind of sound during SP, it seems to be different for a lot of people, as well as the vibrating. I think what is happening is that we are somehow experiencing the brain's signal to the rest of the body that keeps us from acting out our dreams as it is being sent.  That's the only logical explanation I can come up with. And I think that, for me at least, when I'm going through this particular event I'm basically stuck right on the edge of deep sleep, which can explain the sensation of falling.

I mentioned that I've only once been able to stay calm as this was happening. This is what happened:

About a year and a half ago I happened to be working graveyard shifts. I'd been doing the shift for quite a while at that point and the schedule was really taking it's toll on me. I was exhausted all the time and I rarely could sleep more than 4 hours in a day . One particular morning when I arrived home and crawled into bed sleep came instantaneously. I guess it was that exhaustion that caused me to, I guess I should say "give in," cause I woke up paralyzed, heard the rushing noise, changed positions and then immediately felt the drop, but just this one time I thought "ah, screw it" and let myself fall.

Well. After that I had a full on lucid dream, maybe even an out of body experience (though I'm hesitant to call it that). I floated out of my room, into the hall, then into the kitchen, and proceeded to sink through the floor into the appartment below mine. Everything was in its place. Nothing was at all different. Same for the apartment below as I know very well what it looks like since it's actually my mother who lives there. I was definitely aware because my thoughts were racing. I was absolutely amazed and I remember thinking "I can't believe I just did that!" (thinking of letting myself fall the way I did), and the questions running through my head; is this a lucid dream or an out of body experience? and finally just dazzled that I was floating through my apartment. Honestly I thought a lucid dream would be slightly more eventful. I remember thinking that too.

Anyway it didn't last long. After I had floated down into my mother's apartment I woke up. Again paralyzed. This was different as well. I guess I just wan't in the mood to be scared. I saw some hallucinations; a face hovering over my bed looking at me, and hands reaching for me, but I remember thinking "Nope. No no no, not right now. Go away." It felt like it was trying to push me out of bed, but I wouldn't have it. I would not budge or give an inch. At that point I was more annoyed than anything and forced myself to get out of bed. I still have SP episodes, but none like that since. I keep hoping I'll be brave enough to try it again the next time but I never am, sadly.

#124    Fenderman

Fenderman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

• Keep calm and don't blink

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

About 5 or 6 years ago when I was 11 or 12, I was asleep in my bed, no one in my room but myself and my cat (my cat is always looking around the room like he sees something that I don't) then I felt something holding onto me from behind and breathing on the back of my neck. It felt like it was really big because it seemed to be holding me down. I have a big dog but, my door was closed and the dog was downstairs in my parents room, so it wasn't him. My cat was on the floor just looking around and doing cat stuff so it wasn't him either. It held onto me for a few minutes. When I finally could move, I quickly flipped over expecting to see something and nothing was there. I'll admit I was crying and freaking out and I called my mom and she just thought it was a dream, but I am sure I was awake. To this day I can't sleep on my side anymore because I freak out that something is gonna grab me again. But I have a question, if any body is an expert on the subject maybe they can help me. When you are in sleep paralysis, are you awake or asleep technically? I know my eyes were open and I was staring at my wall for the whole time I couldn't move. Assuming I was awake, could I still be feeling any affects of dreaming to explain what was grabbing on to me and breathing on my neck?

#125    toptoptop

toptoptop

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

I'm honestly not sure if I'm having sleep paralysis issues or if it's something else but occasionally something that I know isn't normal happens in my sleep. I'll be falling asleep and within a few minutes, I'll be half-dreaming where I'm thinking of something before I go to bed and it branches off into a plot or story of its own. Suddenly, a sound (usually a laugh) will just play really loudly in my head and I can't stand it. When I hear the sound I realize that it's happening, and I realize I'm dreaming, and I try waking up so the noise will stop but I can't move anything, or even open my eyes. When I do try to move, I get pins and needles in whatever I'm trying to move.

Not really sure what this is but it's happened on more than one occasion and I really don't know why.

#126    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,512 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

View Posttoptoptop, on 27 April 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

I'm honestly not sure if I'm having sleep paralysis issues or if it's something else but occasionally something that I know isn't normal happens in my sleep. I'll be falling asleep and within a few minutes, I'll be half-dreaming where I'm thinking of something before I go to bed and it branches off into a plot or story of its own. Suddenly, a sound (usually a laugh) will just play really loudly in my head and I can't stand it. When I hear the sound I realize that it's happening, and I realize I'm dreaming, and I try waking up so the noise will stop but I can't move anything, or even open my eyes. When I do try to move, I get pins and needles in whatever I'm trying to move.

Not really sure what this is but it's happened on more than one occasion and I really don't know why.
The reasons could be numerouse. To eliminate the laugh, you can go on a quest to find and destroy it. Mine was a mechanical clown laugh. It haunted my altered states until I decided enough was enough and went looking for it. When I found it I destroyed it and it never returned.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#127    welshie

welshie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

New to this website as i just found it looking up what other people experienced with Sleep Paralysis as i my first episode with it about 4 days ago. I was sleeping in the living room on the couch watching tv before hand and i am also 19, it was around 2 am when i fell asleep and awoke sometime mid day. I could look around but could not move which scared me as i did not know what was going on and at the same time moving my eyes around after i settled down abit i noticed something in my kitchen which was a solid black figure with very white teeth being its only feature, this image scared me as well as i did not know what that was so i watched it for a bit figuring i am just dreaming so i closed my eyes and fell back asleep. This happend 2 more times with the figure getting closer starting at the kitchen then to the border of the living room where i was then at the edge of my coffe table, all it did was just stand watching me that was the last time i seen it.

then just yesterday i awoke around the time my sister goes to school facing the wall my bed was pushed up against just laying there thinking what i should do with my day, then everything started going really grey and blury which i have expirenced when i was younger around 14 where i just lost all sight for a small time. After waiting i noticed that again i could not move like a few nights before which made me uneasy only thinking about what could be behind me. after a few minutes i stared to fill like i was being pulled up and at the same time spinning then getting droped then pulled again.

these have been my only expierences so far and even though the first was terrifing i want this to happen a bit more i want to know whats going on.

#128    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

I often wish I had had sleep paralysis during my post-hypnagogic hallucinations. I don't think I've shared this one yet but it's one of the best.

I woke up (more or less) and looked at my computer monitor. It was glowing! What was really disturbing is when I put my hand up to it, my hand felt like electricity was shooting through it. I didn't know what could be causing this but I knew it was dangerous so I did the most logical thing: I ripped the monitor off the computer and smashed it against a wall.

My girlfriend woke up to see me over my smashed monitor and was at least twice as scared as me. I calmly explained that the monitor had been emitting some type of dangerous radiation and I had just saved our lives. The look of disbelief on her face must have clued me in that what I was saying was completely ridiculous, and then I realized my damn brain had fooled me again. Fortunately, my girlfriend was smart and understood my condition. It would have been better to have been paralyzed during the whole thing.

The upside is that I bought a much nicer monitor the next day.

#129    Ash07

Ash07

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

wow

Edited by Ash07, 04 May 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#130    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostAsh07, on 04 May 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

wow

I think that was the only time I destroyed anything. It showed how convincing these things can be.

#131    Samantharojas456

Samantharojas456

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

Sleep paralysis has happened to me three times after one of my high school teachers told me about it I found out about it and the first time it happened my sister had gone out and told me she would be coming home late(our room door is through the back yard) so I fell asleep and then I was sort of awakened by the sound of our gate being opened(not fully awake and sleeping on my stomach) I then heard someone come in, not thinking much of it since I thought it was my sister who had returned then I felt someone like sort of trying to pull my pants down by my back but I thought it was my sister and I just said stop(I thought I was talking but it was only in my mind) then I heard someone in our bathroom I thought it was her but then I dozed off and was awake again and heard two men arguing and I tried to move to see who it was but I couldn't move and I knew I was having SP I started to pray(didn't open my eyes for anything in the world) as I started to hear a woman laughing at me because I was trying to move and talk but I couldn't then I just awakened and a second after my sister knocked on the door!

The next time was when I was sleeping with my sister next to me and I just woke up to ringing in my ears, of course I knew I couldn't open my eyes but I did just to see if my sister was next to me and she was so I tried to call her and when I close my eyes I heard freakishly loud roaring as if it were a wolf I knew all I had to do was pray so that's what I did and it went away.

#132    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,512 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

these have been my only expierences so far and even though the first was terrifing i want this to happen a bit more i want to know whats going on.
You can induce a similar state work through your fears, defeat the shadowy figure and learn more than you ever though possible.

http://www.unexplain...pic=219629&st=0

What was really disturbing is when I put my hand up to it, my hand felt like electricity was shooting through it.

Vibrations!!! You can learn to control them and use them to your advantage.... Other than destroying electronics. :)

I heard freakishly loud roaring..,
Another common symptom of being conciousness as you transition the different crossroads  of conciousness.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#133    Sambow13

Sambow13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Sorry I so paranoid about this but I have
to share my experience
It is 3:09am. Im still in bed trying to fall
back to sleep. About an hour or so I woke
up from sleep paralysis. I have these
"dreams" about every month. It was until
a week ago when I learned what these
"dreams" are called and that they are
normal. I tried to go into sleep paralysis on
purpose but I always failed. Tonight
without trying it just happened. I was
laying down in bed facing up. Suddenly my
mind started speaking to me. I told myself
to open my eyes while asleep in order to
have hallucinations. My eyes felt glued it
was very hard to open them but I did. I
was very scared at first. I was still in my
room just how I had left it but I was
"dreaming" I started relaxing but I kept
hearing music playing and a lot of noise.
People were calling my name also. I
started moving my arms and I was able to
lift them up so I could see them they were
blurry and seemed to disappear. I wanted
to get up from bed but I couldnt. It was
very frustrating not being able to move or
talk. I started moving my lips and was able
to make some noise. Later I started
moving my legs too. I raised my entire
chest and legs but my hips were still
paralysed. I felt like if I was floating. I was
not scared anymore of what I was feeling
or seeing I was scared of what i was
hearing. Many voices and music. A
constant radio playing and people calling
my name. My biggest struggle was to keep
my eyes open. In the "dream" they kept
closing. I just randomly woke up and I was
in bed just like in my dream same position
and everything. The experience was
amazing yet freaky not so much scary.

#134    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,512 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostSambow13, on 15 May 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

Sorry I so paranoid about this but I have
to share my experience
It is 3:09am. Im still in bed trying to fall
back to sleep. About an hour or so I woke
up from sleep paralysis. I have these
"dreams" about every month. It was until
a week ago when I learned what these
"dreams" are called and that they are
normal. I tried to go into sleep paralysis on
purpose but I always failed. Tonight
without trying it just happened. I was
laying down in bed facing up. Suddenly my
mind started speaking to me. I told myself
to open my eyes while asleep in order to
have hallucinations. My eyes felt glued it
was very hard to open them but I did. I
was very scared at first. I was still in my
room just how I had left it but I was
"dreaming" I started relaxing but I kept
hearing music playing and a lot of noise.
People were calling my name also. I
started moving my arms and I was able to
lift them up so I could see them they were
blurry and seemed to disappear. I wanted
to get up from bed but I couldnt. It was
very frustrating not being able to move or
talk. I started moving my lips and was able
to make some noise. Later I started
moving my legs too. I raised my entire
chest and legs but my hips were still
paralysed. I felt like if I was floating. I was
not scared anymore of what I was feeling
or seeing I was scared of what i was
hearing. Many voices and music. A
constant radio playing and people calling
my name. My biggest struggle was to keep
my eyes open. In the "dream" they kept
closing. I just randomly woke up and I was
in bed just like in my dream same position
and everything. The experience was
amazing yet freaky not so much scary.
Nice job. Continue on that path and you will conquer your fear, and every time you encounter this altered state you can float out fly around your yard amoung 1000s of other possibilities.

Bruce Lee-

#135    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,090 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

I haven't had an episode of sleep paralysis in years but these days I experience a lot of hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations.

A recurring theme is seeing swarms of bugs on the walls or ceiling, usually accompanied by buzzing noises as if it's bees or flies.

I also sometimes wake up and hear whispering voices or footsteps in my room and think there's someone else there.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users