Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

Sleep Paralysis stories

• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#151    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,369 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

This is a really interesting thread I hope it goes on forever.  :)
My own sleep paralysis was minor in comparison with many posted here:  In my sleep, I was attacked by a monster, or something, and I tried to cry out and say the name "Jesus" for help, but I couldn't, and then when I finally could start to barely speak, I woke up iirc.
edited to correct usual brain f*rt

Edited by Gummug, 08 July 2013 - 05:00 PM.

Posted Image

#152    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,509 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Just to jump in again. Those of you haveing SP problems. You can take control of this altered state of consciousness. It does not have to be unpleasant.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#153    Flawed Logic

Flawed Logic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 11 July 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

Just to jump in again. Those of you haveing SP problems. You can take control of this altered state of consciousness. It does not have to be unpleasant.

How?

#154    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:17 AM

I have SP experiences from time to time, throughout my life, and it's always the same thing. I'm in bed, half asleep, trying desperately to wake myself up because it feels as if there is a very evil presence outside the window or just outside my field of view, very close by, and I just have this huge amount of fear or terror inside of me as if I'm about to be killed and my soul taken to hell or something. I usually end up making really weird shouting sounds as I cry out for help from within my semi conscious paralyzed self. It's actually quite embarrassing because people could hear me. And when I was in my last relationship it used to freak my girlfriend out because I'm making all these weird sounds and wont wake up. When I'm in that state, I'm completely alone but somewhere in the back of my mind I'm actually aware that it's a dream so I just need to wake myself up, but the terror and paralysis is real. To me it's as if the dream is real therefore the threat is real too, but I never see an entity at all, there's just this very foreboding presence and me shouting and screaming and carrying on, Lol. I sometimes think this is how I felt as a baby and a toddler because my mother was crazy, always scaring me for her own pleasure.

#155    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,509 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostFlawed Logic, on 12 July 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

How?
The trick is to spend some time inducing it on purpose and working for control. I only recommend it for people that continually suffer from chronic attacks and other things are not working. Eventually with a little practice an  episode is a victory and an opportunity.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#156    Salutations

Salutations

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

• Why, Hello There!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Most of my SP attacks are minor but every once in a while I get a very bad one. One of the worst would have to be about 2 years ago. I fell into sleep paralysis and started getting a feeling of my room being filled with an evil presence. I am familiar with this feeling so I wasn't too terrified at this point. But, after a short period of time, I starting to feel as if I was being pulled into the air. Then the force begins to slam me into the wall over and over and as i try to scream of help it feels as if I'm about to be dragged out of my bed or room and taken somewhere. That is when I kind of forced myself out it; It really felt like I was being tossed around like a rag doll in my own room but, when I woke up, I was still in my bed lying on my side with my back against the wall.

#157    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

The explanation of the "Hag"..the Mare, what is it?

How can this be the result of any kind of evolutionary effect?
Since its not cultural, it must be genetically implemented in our brains, because it cross every cultural boundaries.
And for what cause?
Millions, and millions of people have experienced the SAME figure/female through centuries.
The scientist can say that they can see that we are in a dream state while the sleep paralysis kicks in and that some brain activity is going on but why people see similar beings attacking them, all over the world, is by far more interesting.

If it would be a random dream pattern spun out of the fact that you cant move because of the paralysis there is as many other dream scenarios, as there are people, than being held down by an ugly hag.One could dream your drowning in wet cement, pinned down by an anaconda, tied to a tree by an Indian on and on and on.But most scenarios is around a ugly woman, or man is sitting on your chest in your bed and choking you.

A retell of a former Korean war veteran:

One of the respondents to the sleep paralysis forum of the Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Neurology gives an inkling of how frightening the nightmare can be.

The man had fought for thirteen consecutive months in frontline combat in Korea, but said of his one nightmare attack in 1964: "Never, before or since, have I ever experienced the fear of that night."

They usually concern a sense of a physical presence in the room, which manifests itself either visually or aurally, or both. Those who have had such an experience often describe the strong sense of fear or even terror such presences provoke.

•In African culture, isolated sleep paralysis is commonly referred to as "the witch riding your back".]

•In Iceland folk culture sleep paralysis is generally called having a "Mara". A goblin or a succubus (since it is generally female) believed to cause nightmares (the origin of the word 'Nightmare' itself is derived from her name). Other European cultures share variants of the same folklore, calling her under different names; Proto-Germanic: maron; Old English: mære; German: Mahr; Dutch: nachtmerrie; Icelandic, Old Norse, Faroese, and Swedish: mara; Danish: mare; Norwegian: mare; Old Irish: morrigain; Bulgarian, Serbian, Polish: mora; French: cauchemar; Romanian: moroi; Czech: mura. The origin of the belief itself is much older and goes back to the reconstructed Proto Indo-European root mora-, an incubus, from the root mer- "to rub away" or "to harm".
•In Malta, folk culture attributes a sleep paralysis incident to an attack by the "Haddiela" who is the wife of the "Hares", the entity in Maltese folk culture which haunts the individual in similar ways as to those of a poltergeist. As believed in folk culture, to rid oneself of the Haddiela, one must place a piece of silverware or a knife under the pillow prior to sleep.
•Ogun Oru is a traditional explanation for nocturnal disturbances among the Yoruba of Southwest Nigeria; ogun oru (nocturnal warfare) involves an acute night-time disturbance that is culturally attributed to demonic infiltration of the body and psyche during dreaming. Ogun oru is characterized by its occurrence, a female preponderance,

•In Newfoundland and Labrador, it is known as the 'Old Hag'.[32] In island folklore, the Hag can be summoned to attack a third party, like a curse. In his 1982 book, The Terror that Comes in the Night, David J. Hufford writes that in local culture the way to call the Hag is to recite the Lord's Prayer backwards. It is also common for believers to claim that those who are not wakened from this paralysis will die.
•In Newfoundland, as a visit from the "old hag" (Ag Rog)

•In Hungarian folk culture sleep paralysis is called "lidércnyomás" ("lidérc pressing") and can be attributed to a number of supernatural entities like "lidérc" (wraith), "boszorkány" (witch), "tündér" (fairy) or "ördögszereto" (demon lover).[24] The word "boszorkány" itself stems from the Turkish root "bas-", meaning "to press".[25]

•In many parts of the Southern United States, the phenomenon is known as a "hag", and the event is said to often be a sign of an approaching tragedy or accident.
•Several studies have shown that African-Americans may be predisposed to isolated sleep paralysis also known as "the witch is riding you" or "the haint is riding you". (Haint - Definition - Mean a scary b**** or mean person, usually a woman.)   In addition, other studies have shown that African-Americans who have frequent episodes of isolated sleep paralysis, i.e., reporting having one or more sleep paralysis episodes per month coined as "sleep paralysis disorder," were predisposed to having panic attacks.[28] This finding has been replicated by other independent researchers[29][30]
•Scandinavian countries Sweden,Norway,Finland Denmark speaks of the Mara, a female being, with a foul face and body,pressing and holding the person down.

Sleep paralysis has been a topic of discussion amongst European and Chinese writers for more than two thousand years. The influential Greek physician Galen examined the causation of the nightmare or ephialtes during the second century AD, and a description of the experience appears in a Chinese book on dreams dated to as early as 400 BC. Cures for those suffering from the "mare" appear in late Saxon manuscripts, although these make little mention of the actual symptoms

The "mare" element of the English "nightmare" derives from the same root as the Germanic mahr and Old Norse mara, a supernatural being, usually female, who lay on people's chests at night, thereby suffocating them. Even if knowledge of the "mare" has been largely forgotten, she has left her mark in many European languages. In Norway to have the nightmare is to be mareritt, and we find nachtmahr in German, nachtmerrie in Dutch, and cauchemar in French. The mare concept also forms the basis of Slavic and other central and eastern European terms for nightmare--zmora in Polish, morica in Croatian, more in Serbian, muera in Czech, kikimora in Russian. The presence of the mare in so many languages has understandably led etymologists to assume that it is of Indo-European origin, although there seems no agreement as to its Indo-European meaning.

In India, there are thoughts of a female entity, called Mohini (a demoness from the underworld), comes into the night-time world by means of ascending through a deep well. She is enchantingly beautiful, yet simultaneously horrific, unearthly, and deadly. Like her British Isles counterparts, she also seeks a male lover and human genetic material, presumably for the purpose of bearing a hybrid demon/human child.
In German we find alpdrucken ("elf-pressing") and hexendrucken ("witch-pressing").
Hungarian boszorkany-nyomas means "witches pressure."

If you like some drawings and depictions, here you go.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here isa few  interesting documentaries on the subject, well worth the watch if you are interested in the subject

The Entity - Sleep Paralysis Documentary

Shadow People, Hat Man, Sleep Paralysis, Old Hag

Sleep Paralysis 1/5 Ghost Visions

Sleep Paralysis

Ghostly Encounters-Anorexia and the Haunting Hag

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#158    dit-c-dave

dit-c-dave

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

I'm still learning new aspects about this ever since my first episode about 3 years ago which was absolutely terrifying.  Recently they have gotten much much worse..that i don't know if
they are S-P events or just my imagination..but here is what is going on..would love to know if anyone has had this experience
I sleep with the fan on for my white noise...and as i am about to fall asleep..i hear the fan going but also i hear like a fast moving object in the room going infront of the fan making a swoosh sound effect...i call them wind demons....at this point i a feel that i am in a S-P event and trying to force myself awake..i sleep on my stomach so my face is usually in my pillow
which i know is not a good way to sleep to being with...but i always end up in this position...so when i notice this is going on...most of the time..if i am able to open my eyes...which is very difficult...my face is plant down in the pillow so eveything is black...what frightens me the most now is that i can hear them and see something..i don't now if there shadow people...
I had been able to deal with seeing them for quite awhile and actually started to teach myself to calm down and not to not be afraid of them...I'm still grateful that i don't hear them talk but hearing them move from one side of the room to the other....i wake up crying and whats crazy is that is not that it happens just once a day...its about 8 to 10 times in a row...
as soon as my eyes close for sleep...it starts again...my partner has actually heard me screaming get out of my room multiple times...and finds me shaking with fear
please someone tell me i'm not crazy..and that it gets better...

totally lost and scared right now

#159    Salutations

Salutations

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

• Why, Hello There!

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Dit-d-Dave,

Are you having an attack every day? If you are having that many attack I would highly recommend finding some sort of medication or therapy. Seek a doctor and see what he feels is best for you to do. Also, if it is everyday, is it always 8-10 times? I find that if, after the first attack, if I do not try to go back to sleep right away it is unlikely that I will get another.

#160    Lord_Nikon

Lord_Nikon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

Dear All ,

I have never shared my stories with anyone expect with family , however after 20 years perhaps it's time to share it with you , I can say what been said on the wiki is true and not true at the same time , it doesn't feel true for me anyway , one of the things to share with you .....is that sleeping alone can be very hard , if you truly wanna enjoy it , try to sleep with someone family member or partner , someone you can trust to feel safe , and only when feeling safe you could try to leave the body or enjoy traveling at high speeds ,

I promise this gift that we have can be very important after we die , everyone knows that our brain will and perhaps stay at it's lowest functions for at least 1 or 2 days after we die . don't you think that we will end up in the same situation.

I feel that we should practice this skill more and develop it in a way so we can use it effectively in the future ,

#161    FrostFox

FrostFox

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

Is it possible to make you see anything you want in SP? So you're in control of what happens.

#162    Alexanderthefake

Alexanderthefake

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

I get this all the time. The last time, I fell asleep looking at the stars, and then they grew super vivid, like I was there. It was really intense, I woke up sweaty and shaking, breathing hard. J used to punch holes in the walls, or break windows in accident in sleep paralysis.  I used to control my dreams, and I think sleep paralysis is a bad side effect. Sometimes when half asleep I cab hear ab entire song, or have a great idea, and if dont get up in the middle of the night and fullfill it, I wont be able to sleep.

#163    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostFrostFox, on 26 July 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Is it possible to make you see anything you want in SP? So you're in control of what happens.

It's entirely the opposite. You can't move. You're not in control of anything.

#164    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,992 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

View Postscowl, on 27 July 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

It's entirely the opposite. You can't move. You're not in control of anything.

I think if you can gain some control and calmed down you probably could(create anything you want). I've managed to break free of paralysis and create bullets to shoot for example. It's in my first post on page 6. If you read through my sleep paralysis dreams from start to finish you'll see how I broke out of paralysis and dealt with it in the end. And I don't think I've had one since(not that I can remember right now anyway).

#165    dit-c-dave

dit-c-dave

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

I have SP so much that I know when I'm having one versus a dream. It takes a lot of energy and concentration to break myself out of a SP episode that when I do come out of it I'm exhausted which makes me sleepy and the cycle starts again. That is probably why I have multiple episodes. After 3/4 one I pretty much just give up and deal with them. Hopefully my sleep doctor can help me through this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users