Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

Sleep Paralysis stories

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#91    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'll throw in my most terrifying hypnagogic hallucination that unfortunately involved sleep paralysis experience. It's short and simple.

I woke up and heard two guys poking around in my living room. I immediately knew two people had broken into my apartment. I tried to get up but I couldn't move. I thought I was frozen in fear.

I then heard them talking. I could hear every word.

"Hold on. You hear that? Someone's in there."

"You said he wasn't home. Wadda we do?"

"We gotta take care of him."

I then listened to them quietly argue over who was going to kill me and which method would cause the least amount of noise. They decided to strangle me. Then there was silence for I don't know how long. I layed there immobile waiting for them to come in and kill me. Eventually it dawned on me that I was having the worst hypnagogic hallucination ever and right on cue I was able to move again. My sheets were soaked in sweat (fortunately only sweat).

Sound like fun? Hell no. You don't want experiences like this.

#92    ann3

ann3

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

It was high summer and one night it was so hot that I couldnt fall asleep. I lay on my bed like one or two hours, starring into the darkness and my mind floated away. I regained conciousness when I suddenly heard a strange sound. It was like atelephone beep pulsing in my ears getting louder and louder. I wanted to move but huh?? I couldnt move my body (at the time I didnt know anything about SP). Still with my eyes open I wanted to groan and finally scream but nothing came out. I dont know how long it lasted. The sound became incredible loud. And with great effort and will power I managed it to jump up and everything disappeared. The first thing I did after that was turning the light on in my room. :)

#93    Rezaque-SG

Rezaque-SG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• ~Nothing can be hidden when one's mind is set on a path~

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hi emy, i too had been experiencing the same thing but normally i always hear people talking but a langguage that i don't know. Went to the hospital stayed for 3 days but the result was none. All doctors write of as being too stressed. And it doesn't end yet.
The moment i went home the same night it happened again the only difference was i can move my eyes but not the rest. Nowadays it doesn't occur to me more than before. Hope to get an answer and how to avoid this things on occuring.

#94    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

View Postemy, on 14 February 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

And with great effort and will power I managed it to jump up and everything disappeared. The first thing I did after that was turning the light on in my room. :)

In almost cases as soon as I realize what's happening, the dream instantly stops. As soon as I see something illogical or impossible, it's as if something in my brain turns back on, I realize what's really going on and the experience instantly ends. Unfortunately I've had a couple that didn't clue me in and went on longer than I wish they had.

#95    gemima90

gemima90

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Thought i would share my story as i've been reading about sp since it happened to me last night. It was seriously the scariest thing that's ever happened to me. I'd been asleep about an hour when i woke up lying on my back which i've now realised can be a trigger for sp, even though i never actually fall asleep in this position. I could open my eyes though my visionwas kind of blurred. I didn't see anything but i could hear footsteps above me, sounded like they came from the loft. My house creaks all the time but these definitely sounded like footsteps. I couldn't move anything, i kept trying to turn my head and to sit up but i just felt like something was holding me to the bed. I was so so scared. The footsteps sounded like they were getting louder and then it sounded like i could hear somone breathing near me, kind of like raspy breathing. Eventually i was able to force myself to sit up and ran downstairs and just cried. I was so shaken up.

The weird thing is, my 5yr old daughter used to sleep in this room and a few times i would check on her and her eyes would be wide open and she would be kind of shaking but unresponsive, i always figured she was having some kind of bad dream and she never remembered it the next day. But a week ago i moved my two children into my old room so they could have a bigger room and i moved into her room. Every night since i've had very very vivid weird dreams and 2 nightmares and now this. My rational mind knows it is all just my mind playing tricks on me when sleeping but part of me can't shake the strange coincidence. Kind of scared of going to sleep tonight now, which i know is silly and makes things worse but it was really scary.

#96    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

How do people not sleep on their backs? I always wake up on my back no matter how I fall asleep. Do I need to tie an arm to something?

#97    littlemonster92

littlemonster92

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I've experienced sleep paralysis regularly since starting university. Some can be really scary for example I had one episode when i woke up in my own room unable to move as my chest felt compressed and i felt weighed down. When i looked up I saw a small figure crouching over on my chest. I couldn't really tell what exactly it was as it was dark but I was aware it was looking straight at me as I could see it's eyes and although this sounds unrealistic I swear it had yellow eyes and little pointy horns. Despite this it didn't scare me as I was so exhausted I fell back to sleep. I remember it so well despite been months ago but I've heard it's a common experience of sleep paralysis.....

#98    SpiritTraveler

SpiritTraveler

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

• "Everything is relative" - Elbert Einstein

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

View Postscowl, on 18 February 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

In almost cases as soon as I realize what's happening, the dream instantly stops. As soon as I see something illogical or impossible, it's as if something in my brain turns back on, I realize what's really going on and the experience instantly ends. Unfortunately I've had a couple that didn't clue me in and went on longer than I wish they had.

I doesn't work like that for me. When it happens, I just say to myself "darn, here it is again". It doesn't go away. I just wait it out. Been doing it for 50 years, and is still scary. Not near as scary as it used to be though. Some say it has to do with OBE but I don't believe it. Been doing both for the same amount of time and have never found any correlation.

Posted Image

#99    LilithLeyla

LilithLeyla

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:11 AM

I have sleep paralysis. And I don't sleep often at all but if I do it almost always results in sleep paralysis. A few weeks ago, my best friend died. The night after I found out I fell asleep for about an hour or two. When I woke up I was paralyzed, and gasping for air. My eyes were heavy but I could open them. I saw my best friend Lesley standing at the foot of my bed. Then demons took her away. She made no sounds or movements as they were taking her. Demons surrounded my bed and tortured me. I heard whispers. I tried screaming but nothing came out. After a few minutes of which seemed like a lifetime the demons disappeared. As if they evaporated into thin air. My whole body jerked and then I regained movement. The next week I had the almost exact experience.

#100    jenniferarizona

jenniferarizona

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

• The secret waits for eyes unclouded by longing

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

I've experienced sleep paralysis and it was terrifying!! It hasn't happened recently. The few times I've experienced sleep paralysis was after my sister passed.  I felt awake and was frozen with fear unable to move or speak. I've never experienced anything like it!!I remember looking at the ceiling and felt awake and conscious stuck in nightmare! . I kept trying to move a limb or speak but wasn't able to. Felt like I weighed 1000 pounds. It felt like a negative force had hijacked my body. I can't explain the feeling but you know it when it happens to you. I have never felt so panicked and it took all of my strength to move and pull myself out.

#101    Godofcats

Godofcats

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Sleep paralysis has happened me many times
Intrestingly it hasn't happened to me in about three years maybe longer. most of the time my eyes were closed and i could not move at all. Only a few times were my eyes actually open while this was going on. The wierdest paralysis moment for me occured when i seen myself floating above me. It was very strange indeed.

#102    ooooo

ooooo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

I've had quite a lot of sleep paralysis! I feel a bit insane when I think about it, so I've always tried to put it to the back of my mind!

I've experienced very similar things to others who have posted here, although rather than feeling a weight on my chest or being pushed, I just feel like my bed has opened up and I start to fall through it. There is usually a dark figure above me as i'm sinking through my bed, and I hear it's unintelligable words or sometimes just screams getting louder and louder until it seems that the voices are louder than human comprehension (that's the only way I can describe it!) I can't move, or scream....but I'm not sure if i physically can't....I just feel too terrified to move. I'm fully conscious and awake, usually just lying in bed, not even tired and trying to get to sleep, and every time this happens I assume I've died...it is incredibly frightening.

I remember as a child these experiences were more abstract. I would be in that state, lying in bed, and suddenly feel like I was paralysed. I would see 'something' in my mind growing from miniscule to huge  and back again in continuous loops incredibly quickly. I would have my eyes closed and hear voices inside my head which were loud and clear, but for some reason I couldn't make out exactly what was being said. Sometimes there were too many words being spoken too quickly or just so many layered voices, and if I tried to listen in to a specific voice it would become louder and louder- sounding desperate, angry or upset, and then everything would suddenly stop. I could move again, and I was fully awake.

At the moment, if I get sleep paralysis, it just feels like an incredibly loud electric buzzing noise coming from inside my brain, I can't move, and every muscle in my face feels tight and is twitching as if I have power surges in my brain. Sometimes this is accompanied with imagery. I remember once I felt that I was suddenly alone inside the back of an ambulance with these waves of electric buzzing inside my head. With each wave came the sounds of a siren/heart monitor and the internal lights of the ambulance flashing on and off as if I kept 'fading into death'. I woke up from that one probably the most terrified that i had ever been; this being a completely out of context hallucination and feeling the most real.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else  gets the feeling of electrical power surges in the brain? ...also the more abstract hallucinations?

#103    liberty4lora

liberty4lora

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

This has been happening to me for years. My most resent time was last night. I feel as if im awake but cant wake up  weird huh! I cant move I cant speak and i want to wake up so bad. I try calling for my husband but to me its only a wisper so I start to panic and try calling his name again and again, during this time I hear not only my faint voice but a scary like devilish voice calling my husbands name and its coming from my voice super scary. so i continue to call his name in my own voice thank God, but he still doesnt wake. So i try touching and pinching him and finally i get my arm to pinch him, he wakes and then I am finally out of my SP. I know that if I go right back to sleep it can trigger it again, so i get up and walk around wash my face and turn on the tv. This the first time I actually looked it up and I didnt realize it happens to others wow! Id like to know why it happens. I did look up ways to get yourself out of it so the next time it happens i will try some of these suggestions. Just go with it and it goes away dont fight it it makes it worse. Another suggestion I read was move your face mucles wiggle your toes sqeeze your fist and open them. Another was breath in deep and exhale completely. Anyone know why this happens and suggestions on how to come out of it.

Edited by liberty4lora, 10 March 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#104    drumnut

drumnut

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

Hello everyone.

I have experienced several of the same things some of you report. Like the other morning I woke up to see a dark figure standing over my wife, I tried to punch it and then woke up. Other times I have woken up to see trolls and leprechaun looking things and one occasion the devil. During these episodes I am never gripped with fear, but rather, just startled.
I have a different experience that happens to me more frequently that I don't believe is sp. I am usually asleep and I will be lucid dreaming. I will get the feeling while dreaming that I am in a place where I sense evil, suddenly something like a force will grab hold of me, and I will hear and feel a loud electric buzz. I will start yelling....get off of me!!! And I will struggle to get free for a short time and then wake up. Every time this happens I am dreaming I am in a different place, sometimes the force comes out of my closet, sometimes I am in a creepy bathroom, and other times I am in a hotel room and the drawers on the dresser are opening and closing on their own....that's when the force grabs me from behind.

I am sorry to get long winded on my first post, but I don't think that is sp. Perhaps the absolute scariest thing that ever happened to me was at my mothers condo. I was there with a friend back in 94. At about 5am the devil woke me from my sleep and asked me to come with him, that he wanted to show me something. I reluctantly agreed and got out of bed, but I could see myself still sleeping. I followed him through the condo into the den. The devil took a seat next to the TV, which was on, and my friend was lyingon the couch with his mouth open in a trance like state. The devil asked me "how do you like what iI'm doing to your friend?" He waived his hands and I started screaming "leave him alone!" But he smugly said, "nope, I'm not gonna leave him alone." I started screaming again and that's when I woke up. I was far too upset to go back to sleep because I would swear, even to this day that it was real. In fact, I got out of bed and walked through the condo, and it was like I was reliving the dream. When I got to the den my friend was awake and watching television. There are two chairs in her den, and strangely, the one the devil sat on was empty, and the other one was full of my friends clothes. I asked him if he was OK, and my jaw dropped at his response....he said "no, I am having all these bad thoughts of suicide, and the my girlfriend hates me and is cheating on me, and I am worthless and should just kill myself."
I don't think that was sp. I really think that was a paranormal experience, because it was exactly the same in the dream, and reality. It was bloody terrifying.
What does anyone else think, or has anyone else ever experienced something like what I have described?

#105    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostSpiritTraveler, on 05 March 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

I doesn't work like that for me. When it happens, I just say to myself "darn, here it is again". It doesn't go away. I just wait it out.

I have had a few cases where I didn't snap out of it. The weirdest case was when I "woke up" and saw a guy standing at the foot of my bed. He said something threatening to me (including my name) so I leaped up at him. He magically jumped through a closed window and disappeared. Once I remembered I was on the third floor and didn't hear a thud, I realized it was my half-asleep brain playing tricks on me.

But it didn't quite end. As I was going back to sleep, I heard a guy outside loudly laughing and yelling, "I just scared the **** outta this guy!" and he described exactly what just happened. I put on my glasses and looked out the window but didn't see anyone out there. That was very confusing.

And yes I find it hilarious that I see these things perfectly sharp without my glasses. Obviously they aren't real.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users