Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

World misled over Himalayan glacier meltdown

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:59 PM

A warning that climate change will melt most of the Himalayan glaciers by 2035 is likely to be retracted after a series of scientific blunders by the United Nations body that issued it.

Two years ago the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) issued a benchmark report that was claimed to incorporate the latest and most detailed research into the impact of global warming. A central claim was the world's glaciers were melting so fast that those in the Himalayas could vanish by 2035.

In the past few days the scientists behind the warning have admitted that it was based on a news story in the New Scientist, a popular science journal, published eight years before the IPCC's 2007 report.

It has also emerged that the New Scientist report was itself based on a short telephone interview with Syed Hasnain, a little-known Indian scientist then based at Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi.

Hasnain has since admitted that the claim was "speculation" and was not supported by any formal research. If confirmed it would be one of the most serious failures yet seen in climate research. The IPCC was set up precisely to ensure that world leaders had the best possible scientific advice on climate change.

http://www.timesonli...icle6991177.ece

#2    MARAB0D

MARAB0D

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

Something whispers to me that UN may soon lose its Climate research body :unsure2: Not too big a loss after them losing the shame.

#3    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,776 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

we've been saying it for a while now - the wheels are coming off. but even when the last wheel flys off and the whole thing grinds to a halt, expect fierce resistance to many reputations are on the line for the egos to back track.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#4    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

This house of cards is falling down around them and instead of breathing a sigh of relief some people will just get more indignant.

#5    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 18 January 2010 - 09:23 PM, said:

we've been saying it for a while now - the wheels are coming off. but even when the last wheel flys off and the whole thing grinds to a halt, expect fierce resistance to many reputations are on the line for the egos to back track.

I must have been reading your mind while posting. :lol:

#6    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,341 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

i expect to hear how local climate doesn't give you a pic. of the planet's climate.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#7    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

Regardless how damning and provoking the climategate emails and the so-called 'failure' of Copenhagen was perceived to be one thing is certain:

-the agenda is moving forward with or without a 100% agreement from every participating country at the conference
-developed nations are still going to be taxing their populaces and the money will be going to the non-elected IMF

*this we know*

Date to remember -January 31,  2010

Developed countries (Annex I Parties) will "commit to economy-wide emissions targets for 2020"...

And these are required to be submitted by January 31, 2010 and it is agreed that these Parties to the Kyoto Protocol will strengthen their existing targets...

Delivery of reductions and finance by developed countries will be measured, reported and verified (MRV) in acordance with COP guidelines.

-January 31,  2010

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#8    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

Just curious...

Without using google can anybody here name this person?

[In 2002 he left the Treasury to join the Council on Foreign Relations as a Senior Fellow in the International Economics department.[15] He was director of the Policy Development and Review Department (2001-2003) at the International Monetary Fund(IMF).[6]
In October 2003 at age 42,[16] he was named president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.]

#9    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,902 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

Either that, or a lot of people are gonna get used as scapegoats and lose their careers for the higher ups to save face.

#10    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

It's a runaway train and i can't see it being derailed, as you said to many reputations have been built on it, it's also big business and they're not going to let their investments go down the drain.
The puppy hunters aren't going to let this one go, they need it to get through the day.

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#11    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

View Posthetrodoxly, on 18 January 2010 - 10:26 PM, said:

It's a runaway train and i can't see it being derailed, as you said to many reputations have been built on it, it's also big business and they're not going to let their investments go down the drain.
The puppy hunters aren't going to let this one go, they need it to get through the day.

Best way to preserve a lie or the truth is to - not talk about it.... ignore the issue - like it never happened.

This is what is happening right now.

Not one word from 'the team' except for word that Phil Jones stepped down while they investigate themselves.

No interviews from the so-called 'experts' and the so-called bullet-proof future forecast weather/temperature prediction computer models.

Not a word.

BUT,

They still want YOUR money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 31, 2010

Edited by acidhead, 18 January 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#12    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

Same location with 20 year time difference (the first shot is tighter than the second shot).  Care to speculate on whether the glacier has changed?  It's northern Peru, near the Equator, so seasons aren't a factor.

Posted Image

How about these northern hemisphere glaciers.  Anyone want to speculate?
Posted Image

#13    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

Photoshop.
:lol:

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#14    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:53 PM

View Posteqgumby, on 19 January 2010 - 04:41 PM, said:

Photoshop.
I gotta say... I get so tired of this bratty "Conservative" crap.  It's on a par with Holocaust denial when in comes to common sense and decency. The change is within living memory, ahole.

#15    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hey eqgumby... do you do much posting on the "Did we really land on the moon" thread?  Take a look at it...Seems like it would be right up your alley!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users