Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Reincarnation

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

• Ignorance I can handle, stupidity I can't.

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:47 PM

I have a question that I would like for you people to dissect  grin2.gif. OK, if reincarnation really is so, why do we not remember our past lives? If we did remember (and I'm talkin' a full blown memory type thing) what would be possible reprecussions(sp?) of that?

Edited by MoonBaby, 15 June 2004 - 09:48 PM.

"This concept of 'wub' confuses and infuriates us!"
~Futurama <---- the aliens

#2    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:59 PM

If we could remember?
Well, have you ever seen Family Guy? Think of Stewie. original.gif We'd all be intelligent talking babies and instead of growing up and sharing life experiences with loved ones, we'd talk about our past life expirences!
'Yeah, well, 432875 past lives ago i was a TYRANNOSAURS yo!!'

We don't remember, if they do indeed exist, because the memory is stored not in the spirit, but in the living brain. And when the body dies, so does the brain and the memory of life.

#3    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:12 PM

Thats why I cant figure out how we're the same person. Its the memory that makes the person. You can clone yourself but ur clone will be completely different than you because he lives a different life than you.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#4    Druidus

Druidus

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

• "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
    - Einstein

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:14 PM

Why can we not have a spiritual memory as well as a physical memory?

~~~Official Giver of Fishysticks~~~

"Anarchy is not chaos, but order without control."  

"Eudaemonia is not merely anarchy, but life without need."

"The most damaging phrase in the language is: "It's always been done that way."

My Psionics forum -  http://s7.invisionfr...dex.php?act=idx

#5    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:57 PM

Accually, there are cases of seemingly past life memories that were saved in "spirit memory".  

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#6    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:20 AM

What would the point of reincarnation be though? Why would the creation of souls just suddenly stop? (assuming all this is real)

Could it, possibly, bear with me... be a kind of cellular memory? Something in our junk DNA or something, which gives us this memory, which is passed down through each generation?

Edited by Stellar, 16 June 2004 - 12:21 AM.

----Seraphina

#7    jenk

jenk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

• &quot;There are a terrible lot of lies going round the world, and the worst of it is that they're true.&quot; Winston Churchill

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:28 AM

I posted a theory that could explain it. I don't feel like reposting it so if you want to read it got to "My thoughts on ghosts"

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yeild to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." Winston Churchill

#8    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:52 AM

Well, have you ever seen Family Guy

You rock. Me, my husband and our best friend have a mon-thur nightly ritual of watching that. I was going to start another thingy about the god that Bender meets in Futurama but...

instead of growing up and sharing life experiences with loved ones, we'd talk about our past life expirences!

That's kinda what I was thinking. Like, if you had a good experience in a past life but this life sucked, all you would do is sit and fester about how horrible it is now, and vice versa. If you have a good life now but had a shitty one in the past, you might just sit and whine about how bad it used to be. Just a thought...

#9    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:01 AM

heheh.
we would all be stewies, arrghh!!

and think about this! what if we woke up, being of course, born, and saying:

'eww! what ugly parents i'll have in this life! screw that!' and then you could commit suicide, and move on to your next life. hahahah. weird, but hey, if we could remember past lives and knew they existed, why not!?

#10    Druidus

Druidus

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

• "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
    - Einstein

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:30 AM

What would the point of reincarnation be though? Why would the creation of souls just suddenly stop? (assuming all this is real)

Your looking at it from a conventional point of view.  Imagine, for a moment, that there are many realms and that in each realm you reincarnate.  You may reincarnate as anything, on any planet.  The point of reincarnation is to learn enough to move through the realms, and eventually reach a "heaven-like realm" in which you achieve pure bliss.  That's my view on the world.

~~~Official Giver of Fishysticks~~~

"Anarchy is not chaos, but order without control."  

"Eudaemonia is not merely anarchy, but life without need."

"The most damaging phrase in the language is: "It's always been done that way."

My Psionics forum -  http://s7.invisionfr...dex.php?act=idx

#11    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:31 AM

If you'd like my crackpot opinion I go into it in detail on the pinned topic but basically I believe your consciousness moves on to wherever it goes to after death, while the energy that animates you is absorbed back into some sort of collective energy pool,call it "God" if you will..
This collected energy generates new souls. Since that energy lives with people their whole life it can't help but absorb some of their intelligence and memories. Sometimes people will recall some of a "Past Life," but it's not really their past life and it's not the same soul. It's merely a fragment of memory left over in what ever piece of the collective energy that person was born with. This explains why some people have past life memories and others do not..
It also solves one problem standard Reincarnation theories can't. With the population increasing where would new souls come from if we're all being recycled?
The answer to me is that we aren't of course, we're merely using bits and pieces of energy that others have already posessed. The soul you posess now is uniquely yours and will never be owned by another. But a thousand years from now maybe someone will use your cast off energy and gain a small fragment of your memory, and maybe they'll think they were you in a past life just like some believe now..

Oh well, that's just my point of view.. wacko.gif  

#12    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

-Patton

Posted 16 June 2004 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (Druidus @ Jun 16 2004, 02:30 AM)

Your looking at it from a conventional point of view.  Imagine, for a moment, that there are many realms and that in each realm you reincarnate.  You may reincarnate as anything, on any planet.  The point of reincarnation is to learn enough to move through the realms, and eventually reach a "heaven-like realm" in which you achieve pure bliss.  That's my view on the world.

I didnt mean stop literally, I meant it as an extreeme example to show what I mean. Why was it at one point that every new life was a new soul, and then suddenly every new life here on the Earth is a reused soul? Or if you think theres still new souls, what cancelled the creation of new souls?

----Seraphina

#13    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:52 AM

With the population increasing where would new souls come from if we're all being recycled?

Plants and other worlds.

Your looking at it from a conventional point of view. Imagine, for a moment, that there are many realms and that in each realm you reincarnate. You may reincarnate as anything, on any planet. The point of reincarnation is to learn enough to move through the realms, and eventually reach a "heaven-like realm" in which you achieve pure bliss. That's my view on the world.

Pure bliss: what do you mean by this? And realms, is that the same as dimensions?

I hope that one day i can sit around with all of the friends I've made throughout my lives, smoke a bowl while bullshitting about what we've done in our past lives. grin2.gif

we would all be stewies, arrghh!!

I want a little Stewie in a bottle that I can carry around with me. I'd make him come back with all the smart ass comments I might need.

Edited by MoonBaby, 16 June 2004 - 03:55 AM.

#14    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:26 AM

Plants and other worlds

At some point even other worlds(assuming they even have intelligent life) would have had a tiny population as the dominant species started out. That still doesn't explain the discrepency...

Plants?  blink.gif

#15    jeceris

jeceris

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

• THERE AIN'T NO DEVIL, IT'S JUST GOD WHEN HE'S DRUNK- TOM WAITS

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:48 PM

i guess for the most part many of us don't.
about a couple of months ago there was a story on abc's 20/20 about a 6 yr old boy who seems to remember a past life.
since he was two he had nightmares about being trapped in a plane and he would tell his parents, "the man can't get out"
he was always drawn to planes and especially wwII american planes. he would identify a certain make,(can't remember which one) and would know the specs on the plane and his parents swore he hadn't seen any war books or movies.
by age 4 he was talking about an aircraft carrier, name escapes me again, and naming people on it.
his dad who didn't believe such things finally did some research, found the aircraft carrier, confirmed the names the boy had told him, and then asked the boy who he thought he was, the boy told him james, and sure enough some of the old navy pilots who were still alive confirmed a pilot named james had gone down over an island in the south pacific and his plane had crashed into the ocean, and the body never recovered.
there were other very specific things the boy recalled which no one but those who served ont he ship knew.
it really seemed the boy had been a pilot in the pacific in wwII, and had died a traumatic death.
maybe it takes that type of death to rememeber anything, but then millions have died traumatic deaths and only a few talk about past lives.
i also remember reading a story in the fortean times about an indian man who died and then regained consciousness in another body, that of a much younger man miles away in another indian village.
maybe, some are able to keep the imprint of the past life with them when they pass, and for the most part, the rest of us don't.

ottawa senators hockey

there was THIS year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users