Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Koontz book with a paranormal twist

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Drago

Drago

Annoying Skeptic Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

• Bolted doors and windows barred,
    Guard dogs prowling in the yard,
    Won't protect you in your bed,
    Nothing will, from Pumpkinhead.

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

View PostPurplos, on 04 February 2010 - 05:16 AM, said:

Koontz is repetitive.

Some of his books are great. (I loved Odd Thomas.) Some of them stink.

He recycles character types too much for my tastes.

The same criticisms could be leveled at any prolific genre-riding author.  I mean how many stories does King have about evil possessed cars and houses/structures that are actively evil?  Eventually you hit a wall imaginatively and throw darts at the sticky-notes on the wall to find out what story you're going to write next to fulfill your publisher's demands.  :P
And at least Koontz hasn't tried to cash in on a massive multiplayer crossover with his own stories.  :P  I think the closest he gets is using the idea of the escaped-the-lab super-intelligent pets in multiple books.

Twilight Eyes is easily my favorite Koontz book.  The Christopher Snow stories are right behind those.  Third place, probably Shadowfire.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn!

Attention all '2012 is when the world will end' advocates: If, on January 1st 2013, the world has not ended, I will expect a written formal apology from each of you.  That is all.

#17    WinRaR

WinRaR

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hi, didn't see this topic, I just posted about Dean Koontz. I'm currently reading 'The Taking', which is a brilliantly twisted novel. I'm a big fan of Dean Koontz, and although I do like Stephen King, I feel he is too descriptive whereas Koontz is more psychological, he will enable your own fears and phobias to take over some parts, creating a scarier image.

Posted Image

#18    Maelstrom5

Maelstrom5

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:43 AM

View PostAnneOminous, on 04 February 2010 - 04:42 AM, said:

-Don't know if there are any Dean Koontz fans here.  His latest book "Breathless" had kind of a neat little paranormal element to it that was delightful.

No Spoilers!

I didn't know he had a new book out there! Koontz is a guilty pleasure.

#19    Lilix_Vixen

Lilix_Vixen

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

View PostWinRaR, on 17 February 2010 - 09:51 PM, said:

Hi, didn't see this topic, I just posted about Dean Koontz. I'm currently reading 'The Taking', which is a brilliantly twisted novel. I'm a big fan of Dean Koontz, and although I do like Stephen King, I feel he is too descriptive whereas Koontz is more psychological, he will enable your own fears and phobias to take over some parts, creating a scarier image.
The Taking is one of my favorites! You will love the ending, I did. Although it scared me when I actually thought about it. Another great one is Strange Highways. It is a bunch of short stories, the first and best one is Strange Highways. (Yes, the title of the book and the title of the first story are the same.)

“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”

Albert Einstein

#20    Melly

Melly

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

• "Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person." - Captain America

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

I liked Phantoms.  It had a verrry creepy feel to it. I like Koontz but like a lot of people had said, he is repetitive.  Phantoms was good to read because there weren't too many characters involved. I tried reading Winter Moon and Strangers at the same time and got thoroughly confused lol. I like them, though. Scary without the gore.

"...I shake you warmly by the hand."- Willy Wonka
"Nope. I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that!" - Earl Hickey

#21    Zeeshan - (Twisted!)

Zeeshan - (Twisted!)

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

• Who Will Guard The Guards?

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

I am myself a Big Koontz fan, and as mentioned he's, IMO, only 2nd to The Great King in terms of twisted and barbed imagination ;-)

Sole Survivor and The Vision has got some Paranormal in it. It's not that gross in the earlier one, but it's helluva ugly in the latter...

Edited by Zeeshan - (Twisted!), 12 March 2010 - 11:06 AM.

Posted Image
Thanks to The_Scorpion
“The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible.” ~Oscar Wilde
www.iamzeeshan.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/ImZeesh

#22    Jaquariuml

Jaquariuml

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

i also am a big fan of dean koontz.Like a previous poster said i believe that like stephen king there is a range of quality in his works. Some of his books are good reads and some are just absolutely incredible. Just to add my two cents to the list i agree with many of the above posts. My favorite is probably twilight eyes. I also loved by the light of the moon and the husband. I am currently reading dragon tears. Joemamma if you enjoyed breathless then definetly pick up some more koontz. i enjoyed it too but it is probably one of my least favorites so i think you are in for some nice surprises. i have a ton that i still havent read. i buy them much faster than i can read them.

#23    Tia

Tia

The Naughty Angel.

• 6,280 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

I just read one I picked up at a fete great story but I can't recall the name of it. I use to read his books from my late teens onwards, though the recent one was probably the first one in years.

Watchers was my all time favourite and led me to my last two dogs being Golden Retrievers. :yes:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.
HEY I WON!

#24    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,591 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Watchers is by far his best. Enjoyed Dragon Tears also. Intensity was very gripping.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#25    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

• Mom and daddy said "the life that you've led
    You'll party you're way straight to hell"

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Dean Koontz is great but i prefer Sean Hudson The earlier books (Death Day, Relics etc).

The gods you worship are steel, at the alter of Rock 'n Roll youl kneel.

Long live, long live the King of Mercy.

#26    Time Turner

Time Turner

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

I love Koontz. Many of his books have a paranormal or supernatural twists to them. At the moment, I'm reading "Phantoms" which has just that. I'm really enjoying it so far. Another favorite is "Watchers"  ^_^

Edited by Time Turner, 15 January 2012 - 01:54 PM.

"Yes, I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight,
and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde

#27    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,591 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

Just finished reading his latest release "77 Shadow Street" a little while ago. It was quite good. I would recommend it.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#28    hooko22

hooko22

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Completely agree with everyone who mentioned Taking and Watchers, think watchers is probably my favourite but taking is quite close. Plan to write a review on the Taking sometime in the future.

Don't think anyone mentioned Demon Seed. One of his better work.

http://www.themyster...ntz-demon-seed/

Posted Image

#29    SCFan

SCFan

ISA 62:2; 65:15; HOS 1:10; 2:23; MATT 21:43; ACTS 11:26

• 2,621 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:44 AM

I used to be a huge Koontz fan back in the 80s, my favorites were Phantoms, Midnight, and Watchers. He definitely bridges genres with mystery, horror, sci-fi, and even romance elements incorporated into his stories.

The last Koontz novel I read was The Bad Place and stopped reading him due to his stories being so formulaic,usually a PAIR of protagonists  on the lam usually a male and a female that fall in love while up against conspiratorial forces, natural or supernatural or alien, before regrouping to beat the big bad baddie in the end.

King usually has his token characters too, but he is definitely the better writer. The stuff King had published between 1974-1984 ranks as some of the best horror I have ever read.

Edited by dside, 06 May 2012 - 03:48 AM.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users