Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ouija boards sold as "toys" - a good idea ?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: (PD)</strong>
Image credit: (PD)
Ouija boards are considered by many to be something not to be dabbled with - should these really be sold in toy stores ? Some believe ouija boards can be used to contact the dead or to summon demons but toy stores around the world still sell them to children as young as 8. Should stores stop selling them as toys or are they as harmless as they seem ?

"Toys R Us is selling Ouija boards, promoting them as acceptable for children as young as eight years old. The pink edition of the Ouija board is listed for girls eight-years-old and up while the regular version is designated for all children eight and up. Stephen Phelan, communications manager of Human Life International, checked the website and reports that the findings are disturbing."

Posted Image View: Full Article | Posted Image Source: One News Now

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    curiouse

curiouse

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

• Let's Swim to the Moon, Let's Climb Through The Tide!

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

View PostUM-Bot, on 05 February 2010 - 11:11 AM, said:

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: (PD)</strong>
Image credit: (PD)
Ouija boards are considered by many to be something not to be dabbled with - should these really be sold in toy stores ? Some believe ouija boards can be used to contact the dead or to summon demons but toy stores around the world still sell them to children as young as 8. Should stores stop selling them as toys or are they as harmless as they seem ?

"Toys R Us is selling Ouija boards, promoting them as acceptable for children as young as eight years old. The pink edition of the Ouija board is listed for girls eight-years-old and up while the regular version is designated for all children eight and up. Stephen Phelan, communications manager of Human Life International, checked the website and reports that the findings are disturbing."

Posted Image View: Full Article | Posted Image Source: One News Now
Please Adults do not let your children near ouija boards, they can be EVIL. :devil:

#3    Rob Awesome

Rob Awesome

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• If we don't have an apocolypse soon I'll have to find work

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

I know this is off topic a bit, but do ouija boards come in other alphabets?  I think it would be cool to try using a Greek or Cyrillic board, or imagine what a Cantonese or Mandarin ouija would look like.

Hasbro should've went with my idea, the ouidgie (wedgie) board.  It's basically a shoe horn with a hooked end for bullies who are germaphobic but still want to haul peoples undies uncomfortably up.  Still pretty horrific but with no long-term soul damage or supernatural side-effects.  And it will come with a pink version for girls!

The "mean to"s make an unhappy one

#4    a vampire wears my boxers

a vampire wears my boxers

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

• like empty prayers from a disentigrating throat

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

i still fail to grasp how a piece of laminated cardboard with the alphabet, numbers 1-9 and words like hello and goodbye could ever be able to contact the dead/demons. coulnt you just make your own out of construction paper? and if ouijia boards actually could contact benevolent spirits, wouldn't there be a recall?

it looks like the upper hand, is on the other foot.

i guess they would say we could set this world ablaze

i have never tried to succeed at anything, therefore i have never failed.

#5    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Interterrestrial Being

• 5,888 posts

• "Can't deny you're implacted, in the mayhem in my mind. You got me so frustrated, you should be mine!" - Rebecca Black, Person of Interest

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

Although they do seem to tend to cause hysterical reactions in people, especially children and teens, who apparently don't have the intellectual critical thinking skills or intent needed to approach it as an experiment for the mind and reasoning, it is still just an entertainment novelty (to be fair I can't say it is a game, as it has no real features of what we consider games) and functions on the almost never understood or accepted ideomotor principle.  Saying they need to be removed because they cause problems is like saying the same for Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly or Risk, because those can lead to real life fights and bad feelings that can also last a long time and cause grudges.  

When people get negative stuff and cursing and verbal abuse, which they are wont to do because that's the types of things that a lot of younger people or the very anxious manifest due to their immaturity, they become near basketcases, swear the Devil is trying to eat their soul, burn the board and never, ever touch it again and make it their mission in life to warn others away from the most dangerous game, relating their own bad first-hand "experience" as proof.  None of these things has anything to do with the board itself but people's own tendencies and inclinations, and sometimes desires - they want to be scared, they want to scare, they feel guilty, they want to be mean to someone else, they want something out of this world to believe in - they get all these.  They could just as easily print one out and use a CD to make one (my main sig has a page to do that), or build a radionics device out of an old TV knob, cereal box and copper wire, or even use a Scientology truthometer or whatever those ridiculous things are called.

I think the girls' version is a hilariously shrewd concept because those are where 90% of the base stories of horror come from, which only drum up yet more interest (even if it is seen by most as 'negative') and fascination with the Ouija as a forbidden "tool", because that's what kids do - what you tell them NOT to - and we don't necessarily outgrow that as adults.

I don't know who this guy or his "organization" is but I'd recommend to him to spend about fifteen minutes actually looking at the thing with a critical (not prejudiced from ignorance) eye and realize there's nothing "threatening" to it and if you blindfolded users, you'd get words about as coherent as most Youtube comments.

Quirky idea, disturbing avatar, Rob.

Edited by Paranormalcy, 05 February 2010 - 12:40 PM.

| Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252 hrs/4yrs

#6    shaka5

shaka5

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

• I always call people fools for wanting to learn the hard way....When I'm really the fool for tryna teach 'em

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

good idea?..yes...it is a damn toy. I see it in the toy section all the time

I have less compassion than the average human.

#7    the rebirth

the rebirth

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

• "it seems you have a chronomechanical malfunction"
    "what?"
    "a chronomechanical malfunction.."
    "a what??"
    "your clock is broken."

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

im going to go out on a limb here and agree with paranormalcy. rob awesome's avatar seems more threatening to me than some cardboard pos with letters and numbers on it. if what appears to be a person's head in the lower left corner is actually so, i fear for them. my nighttime hours shall be plagued by nightmares of rabid seals.  :unsure2:
threat level (1-10):
pink ouija board for girlie 8yo sleepover slumber parties - 0.5
rabid seals patrolling the coastal waters for unsuspecting victims - 9.7

i rest my case.

#8    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,739 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

Parents should buy monopoly instead and teach their kids how to save and spend wisely.

#9    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,895 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:08 PM

Should have a Ouija-Scrabble board....let the ancestors play against the kids.

#10    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:22 PM

View PostEldorado, on 05 February 2010 - 03:08 PM, said:

Should have a Ouija-Scrabble board....let the ancestors play against the kids.

Now there's a right fine idea....get that idea patented my friend :tu: Unfortunate caveat though, spirits are lousy spellers.

#11    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,895 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

View Post_Nyx_, on 05 February 2010 - 03:22 PM, said:

Now there's a right fine idea....get that idea patented my friend Posted Image Unfortunate caveat though, spirits are lousy spellers.

After a few spirits, my spelling suffers too.

#12    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

View PostEldorado, on 05 February 2010 - 03:28 PM, said:

After a few spirits, my spelling suffers too.

Happens to the best of us :D

#13    jbondo

jbondo

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:26 PM

What's not understood is how it's used and by whom. Teens that are already into the occult may be pushed further into it. Adults that believe it has some kind of power may be further directed by what they glean from it. If there were nothing to it then there wouldn't be millions of dark incidents associated with it out there. We already have too many people that believe in werewolves, Vampires, etc.. This is the kind of thing they don't need to influence them, artificially or otherwise. IMO it's not a toy no matter what it does or does not do.

#14    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

It is a toy. Mass produced by Parker Brothers.

#15    MOONSHADOWXIII

MOONSHADOWXIII

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

• The Truth is out there..........

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

View Postjbondo, on 05 February 2010 - 04:26 PM, said:

What's not understood is how it's used and by whom. Teens that are already into the occult may be pushed further into it. Adults that believe it has some kind of power may be further directed by what they glean from it. If there were nothing to it then there wouldn't be millions of dark incidents associated with it out there. We already have too many people that believe in werewolves, Vampires, etc.. This is the kind of thing they don't need to influence them, artificially or otherwise. IMO it's not a toy no matter what it does or does not do.

I agree with you... TOO MANY people believe in werewolves, Vampires, Heaven and Hell, God(s), Devils, Demons, Tooth-fairies, and such. You state there are "millions of dark incidents" associated with these (millions?? really??)... but don't stop there! Look at how many have suffered and/or died in the name of "GOD"! It's funny: If you believe in aliens... you're a nut job, but if you believe in GOD you're a decent person... yet neither have been proved or disproved. Interesting how standards are manipulated when it comes to matters of Church.....

I am an Anomaly and an Anachronism. But, I am not alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users