Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ouija boards sold as "toys" - a good idea ?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#16    el midgetron

el midgetron

Government Agent

• 3,936 posts

• saturnalian brother

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Feels good to be breaking the laws in America again" - Kenny Powers

#17    Rob Awesome

Rob Awesome

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• If we don't have an apocolypse soon I'll have to find work

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

View Postthe rebirth, on 05 February 2010 - 01:48 PM, said:

im going to go out on a limb here and agree with paranormalcy. rob awesome's avatar seems more threatening to me than some cardboard pos with letters and numbers on it. if what appears to be a person's head in the lower left corner is actually so, i fear for them. my nighttime hours shall be plagued by nightmares of rabid seals.  :unsure2:
threat level (1-10):
pink ouija board for girlie 8yo sleepover slumber parties - 0.5
rabid seals patrolling the coastal waters for unsuspecting victims - 9.7

i rest my case.

To be fair, my hair has grown in since that was taken :).

Those are people, you can find the original here: http://www.stupidvid...zy_Seal/#260215

The "mean to"s make an unhappy one

#18    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

View Postel midgetron, on 05 February 2010 - 06:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

:lol: bloody brilliant!

#19    isis-999

isis-999

Goddess Of Darkness and Desire

• 5,312 posts

• The Bestowed Eye's of my God, Eye's of my past, lover of my future.. A Thousand's lifes all to live this One...The Steel Circle,

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

Its weird how this item can be sold as a toy? They God works in strange ways so i guess the devil can too...I would never use one of these things nothing good ever comes from them....

Posted Image
THE BESTOWED EYE'S OF MY GOD... GODDESS OF DESIRE....http://paranormalborder.net/index/
Sig By: Arsenik...... My Favorite vampire!!

#20    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,550 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

Ya know, if you believe in ghosts/spirits/demons communicating with the Ouija board, it makes sense to believe that anything can be a portal or communication device or whatever. Scrawl a bunch of letters on a tissue and stick a coin on it and these entities can communicate if they want to.

I have no problem with them being sold. There is nothing special about Parker Bros. that make their board work any better than a homemade one. If there are spirits out there who want to communicate with people, I highly doubt they need some printed cardboard and a plastic triangle to do it.

Embrace the impossible.

#21    Voyager10

Voyager10

Bass City Roller

• 2,374 posts

• "The light in the window
    Is a crack in the sky
    A stairway to darkness
    In the blink of an eye"
    -Ozzy Osbourne

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

This is kind of a loaded question. Ideally it should be, "Are Ouija boards bad?" To ask if they should be sold to children sort of automatically assumes they are bad, but asks how bad ( bad enough that children shouldn't be exposed? )

Posted Image

http://beam.to/dreamjournal
No matter how I try I find my
way into the same old jam

-Led Zeppelin

#22    Child of the light

Child of the light

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:04 AM

I REALLY don't think this is a good idea and i strongly sagest that adults do NOT buy this for their kids or anyone els for that matter, it might just look like a fun little game to play but play that little game wrong and your gonna find yourself asking "why in hell's name did I buy this damn thing!?" and I'm not joking that thing is not a toy...

Edited by Dark Morphling, 06 February 2010 - 07:05 AM.

#23    Jack_of_Blades

Jack_of_Blades

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

• "There's no earthly way of knowing. Which direction they are going! There's no knowing where they're rowing, Or which way they river's flowing!."

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:11 AM

View PostDark Morphling, on 06 February 2010 - 07:04 AM, said:

I REALLY don't think this is a good idea and i strongly sagest that adults do NOT buy this for their kids or anyone els for that matter, it might just look like a fun little game to play but play that little game wrong and your gonna find yourself asking "why in hell's name did I buy this damn thing!?" and I'm not joking that thing is not a toy...

After reading this post Paranormalcy (sp?) post comes to mind. Bottom line is that it's nothing more than a board with numbers.

"Stone people should not live in glass houses"
"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic."
"Don't forget that your beliefs are meaningless unless your the one screaming loudest."
"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and they are all useful but selfserving."

#24    Matt121

Matt121

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:36 AM

The Ouija board is just a toy, it's a board game you play with a group of people I never understood how people can think it's real at all

#25    cluey

cluey

complete paradox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Location:~in your head,lol.....seriously though............."the driest continate on earth".......which is also comparable to a land mass on another planet!!!...........

• BLACK ADDER!!!.."let's get them when and where they are most vulnerable"...*WHACK*....."just my luck to get the one that was hard".... :D

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:44 AM

View PostUM-Bot, on 05 February 2010 - 11:11 AM, said:

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: (PD)</strong>
Image credit: (PD)
Ouija boards are considered by many to be something not to be dabbled with - should these really be sold in toy stores ? Some believe ouija boards can be used to contact the dead or to summon demons but toy stores around the world still sell them to children as young as 8. Should stores stop selling them as toys or are they as harmless as they seem ?

"Toys R Us is selling Ouija boards, promoting them as acceptable for children as young as eight years old. The pink edition of the Ouija board is listed for girls eight-years-old and up while the regular version is designated for all children eight and up. Stephen Phelan, communications manager of Human Life International, checked the website and reports that the findings are disturbing."

Posted Image View: Full Article | Posted Image Source: One News Now

Posted Image...........................................Posted Image

Believes all people have to admit to some level of neurosis!!!
will never let my mother cut my hair again!!!!
The feet you step on today!....might be attached to the legs of the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!!!!
it is hard to sore high with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys!!!!

#26    Psycho78

Psycho78

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

Personally, I have witnessed spirits of the deceased manipulate physical objects on several occasions. In some cases they seemed to be positive in nature and just wanted some attention or even just to say hi, in others they were negative in nature and wanted people to leave them alone. We cant see them so we don't know we are invading their space, but they never stop seeing us.

Often times it seems they attach to either a specific location or a specific person. I have never witnessed a haunting associated with an object.

My personal experience with Ouija boards, while fairly extensive, was ultimately inconclusive. The spirits contacted were convincing at times, telling tales in great detail and moving the planchet with such speed and accuracy over such a long period of time that it seemed fairly impossible for one of the operators to have been guiding it (consciously), but with many years to think over the information received, I have come to believe that no true information was ever transmitted. Its my guess that some spirits are entertained with the communication, but are not, for some reason, allowed to impart knowledge of any supernatural origin and so what you end up with is a bunch of intriguing lies, meant to keep you coming back for more.

On the other hand, I have heard numerous horror stories from Ouija board users. The most frightening also happens to be from the source that I consider to be the most reliable. It involves a handmade ouija board of unknown origin, made from the lid of a coffin, with a planchete made from human vertebra, found in a 200+ year old house in England. No less than 10 witness (all non-occult orientated people) are convinced that the board was responsible for a house fire and, at a later date, the mysterious death of the, apparently healthy, middle aged owner of the board.  Its present location is unknown.

In another case a family friend is convinced that her roommate became possessed while using a board over the course of a number of weeks and narrowly escaped being murdered by said roommate.

Personally, I would not want my child to play with one at age 8, but there is no scientific evidence to suggest that a ouija board is anything more than laminated card board. :P

#27    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,494 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

View PostParanormalcy, on 05 February 2010 - 12:35 PM, said:

Although they do seem to tend to cause hysterical reactions in people, especially children and teens, who apparently don't have the intellectual critical thinking skills or intent needed to approach it as an experiment for the mind and reasoning,
Oi! I resent that!

Posted Image

#28    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

The Sum of All Bears

• 5,524 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:45 AM

Paranormalcy, on 05 February 2010 - 12:35 PM, said:
Although they do seem to tend to cause hysterical reactions in people, especially children and teens, who apparently don't have the intellectual critical thinking skills or intent needed to approach it as an experiment for the mind and reasoning,

Oi! I resent that!
In all seriousness, I wondered about that line when I was writing. To clarify, I did not say all people that have negative reactions have the named qualities, but those are the kinds that tend to be more likely to have these experiences.  People who are emotionally or mentally not quite mature or having completed the process of individuation, who are still unsure about things, themselves, their place in the world, many abstract concepts, "God", trying to find an identity, etc, but also some people, including adults, under stress or repression some sort of issue.  For some reason, this sort of turmoil seems to manifest as negative experiences with the board.  

A solid sense of critical thinking and discernment (I don't think I'm going to go over to the corner and stand just because the board told me to) is needed when dealing with any sort of unknown quantity, Ouija board or not. The firm grasp and application of reasoning to what is being received is really the only way to make sense or keep a level head in a session, and a lot of people just haven't developed their faculties for such to that point.  Like I said, I'm not saying everybody, but it is usally a pretty solid bet that some of these features are present in people that have had bad Ouija experiences.

UM Rules | Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252hrs/4y+, View: Ideomotor

#29    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,122 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

When I was 12 I got a ouija board for Christmas. We all had fun with it for a while with no negative side effects and we all turned out alright.. I think :lol:

Posted Image

#30    PotatoLotion

PotatoLotion

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

• Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault. -Oscar Wilde

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:34 PM

LOL that is hilarious!

Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault. Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users