Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ouija boards sold as "toys" - a good idea ?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#31    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,510 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:15 AM

View Postel midgetron, on 05 February 2010 - 06:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

I want one of these REALLY bad LOL. I work on the Microsoft Security Updates team now.... this would be a HUGE hit in my office!!!! LOL.

Otherwise, Ouji boards are stupid toys, They're fun when you're like 14 at a slumber party... and that's it.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#32    Lizardian_guy

Lizardian_guy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Location:Undefinable variable entered, system failure imminent. Please contact your administrator.

• I think, therefore I am. Does this mean I can discard the existence of mankind?

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:08 AM

A Ouija board is just a piece of cardboard with pictures on it. It's not any different from other pieces of cardboard.

The problem comes when people who don't know what the hell they're doing decide to do things they should avoid doing. Most of the time, they fall for stupid crap, kill a chicken, drink its blood and then realize that the only thing that spell did was prove that they're a bottomless pit of stupid. Other times though, people do the "right" things, which winds up being very, very wrong. Turning into a schizophrenic = bad, if you get what I mean.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Trying to explain the unknown as the work of God is equally stupid as trying to explain it as the work of the human mind.
~ Myself

#33    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:15 AM

Hmmm does a kid want a xbox 360 for Christmas or a ouji board to get a Christmas greeting off their dead granny???

............xbox

#34    Squidlet

Squidlet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:33 AM

View PostLizardian_guy, on 13 February 2010 - 06:08 AM, said:

Other times though, people do the "right" things, which winds up being very, very wrong. Turning into a schizophrenic = bad, if you get what I mean.
I suspect that it isn't that Ouija boards turn people into schizophrenics so much as schizophrenics are drawn to this type of stuff like flies to manure.  I have a schizophrenic relative who has been interested in the occult and conspiracy theories for all of her adult life, but as a child she also exhibited traits associated with those who will develop the disease later on.

Schizophrenia usually manifests harmful symptoms around young adulthood.  Most reports of Ouija board use I've read come from people who experimented with it in their teens.  A potentially-schizo teenager would be far enough along in life to have the interest in the weird and mysterious that schizophrenics often have, but still young enough that they wouldn't be manifesting the nastier symptoms.

#35    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:43 AM

I've had several with no obvious ill effects. Operative word being obvious, of course :lol:

#36    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,175 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

View Postel midgetron, on 05 February 2010 - 06:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

This is an object of EVIL! Cunningly distributed among the unaware human population by MANBEARPIG to lure innocent lives into his cesspit of malice.  :o

Posted Image

On topic: the Ouija board is a toy. Whether it is a toy suitable for 8-year old children is another matter.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#37    O'Malley

O'Malley

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

Have used home made ouija boards. They are the real deal. They are not always a hoax.

#38    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Crazy Homeless Fisherman

• 6,490 posts

• "Can't deny you're implacted, in the mayhem in my mind. You got me so frustrated, you should be mine!" - Rebecca Black, Person of Interest

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

It's not about them being a hoax, they obviously "work" - it just what is at work making them work that is in question.

| Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252 hrs/4yrs

#39    O'Malley

O'Malley

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

If the purpose of a ouija board is to contact the spirit world, and they do that, then I'd say that counts as 'working'.

#40    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Crazy Homeless Fisherman

• 6,490 posts

• "Can't deny you're implacted, in the mayhem in my mind. You got me so frustrated, you should be mine!" - Rebecca Black, Person of Interest

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:03 AM

And if the purpose of a ouija board is to contact the spirit world, and they instead manifest the users' unconscious intent, then I'd say that counts as 'working' as well.  Yes?

#41    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:07 AM

View PostParanormalcy, on 05 February 2010 - 12:35 PM, said:

Although they do seem to tend to cause hysterical reactions in people, especially children and teens, who apparently don't have the intellectual critical thinking skills or intent needed to approach it as an experiment for the mind and reasoning

I truly wish that I could believe some of the stories I've read surrounding ouija boards, even some of the demonic ones, because they're so fascinating. The idea that a person could obtain a discarnate spirit as a guide and friend is very appealing to me. Unfortunately, my experience with these boards has led me to believe that they are nothing more than awkward tools for spelling out your own thoughts. I am surprised that anyone could seriously entertain the belief that there are real, separate entities coming through these things.  Like Paranormalcy mentions above, many of these stories tend to come from people who don't seem to know the meaning of the word 'skepticism'.

Edited by Cybele, 25 February 2010 - 02:09 AM.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#42    Lord*Kur

Lord*Kur

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

• Shine!

Anoint. Alight. Align.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:31 AM

if you outlaw ouija boards to kids, only outlaw kids will have ouija boards

Posted Image

#43    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Crazy Homeless Fisherman

• 6,490 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:58 AM

THE LAKE OF FIRE IS A LIE, my friend. According to the board once. But the board personality also said he was ABDUCTED BY THE CROSS (which we learned meant the Church). Trees can be used as portals for travel, and there is a book that exists only on the astral plane, in a cave sealed by magic I guess, that has this kind of information and more.  And we got one board personality that was freaking out and claimed he was at Loyola University (don't know where) and was apparently another living Ouija user and didn't know what to make of contacting another group of living people. Whatever the reality of that, it was a very amusing and interesting result.

Edited by Paranormalcy, 25 February 2010 - 06:59 AM.

#44    Sthenno

Sthenno

Poltergeist

• 2,167 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:05 AM

I played with ouija boards a fair few times when I was young, with varying degrees of 'success'. Scared the pants off of us every time, it was great fun! It's encouraging kids to be imaginative and explore the potential for other worlds aside from the one we immediately see around us. And as there's never been any actual evidence of anyone being harmed by a ouija board, I don't see why it shouldn't be sold as a toy.

#45    Squidlet

Squidlet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

Trees can be used as portals for travel...
What?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users