Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Breakthrough pill to help people live to 100

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: sxc.hu</strong>
Image credit: sxc.hu
Experts have announced a breakthrough pill that is believed to be able to help people live until they are at least 100. The pill is based on immitating the effects of three super-genes that make people 20 times more likely to live to be 100 and 80 percent less likely to develop Alzheimer’s or other similar diseases. The new pill is expected to be ready for testing within three years.

"A pill to help people live to 100 free from debilitating health problems is set to "revolutionise" ageing, experts said yesterday. The breakthrough has come after scientists identified three “super-genes”.
"

Posted Image View: Full Article | Posted Image Source: Daily Express

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:47 AM

I knew this would come, I just knew it...

#3    Mandrake

Mandrake

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• Do not disturb my circles!

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:51 PM

100 year old CHAVs?? 100 years sucking the lifeblood out of our benefits system and breeding more chavvy replicas of themselves?  Bankers, estate agents, insurance salesmen, politicians, murderers, paedos etc etc etc - all living to 100?  :no:

I rest my case for the defence  :lol:

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
"My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me." - Winston Churchill
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look once in awhile, you could miss it" - Ferris Beuler

#4    shaka5

shaka5

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

• I always call people fools for wanting to learn the hard way....When I'm really the fool for tryna teach 'em

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

why the hell would you wanna live till your 100?...most people's body and brain are beat down waaaaay before that...NO THANK YOU, I'M GOOD!!

I have less compassion than the average human.

#5    the rebirth

the rebirth

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

• "it seems you have a chronomechanical malfunction"
    "what?"
    "a chronomechanical malfunction.."
    "a what??"
    "your clock is broken."

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

hooray! so we can all live to be... really old. they better start mass producing retirement homes... this is great news for Florida's economy im sure.

#6    Codehook

Codehook

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

Great, these geniuses must have figured out a way to solve over-population too. No? Oh...

#7    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

Posted Image

#8    zenfahr

zenfahr

Psychic Spy

• 1,599 posts
  • Location:Center of my universe.... which is located in a bunker in New Mexico.

• "The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the Crow"
    -Nobody

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

HA good one Spider!  Good god without death, well that just leaves Taxes!! I cant wait to work till Im 80!!

.....Im NOT here.....

My Art Gallery

#9    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

I'll bet all the possible side effects will make you wish you were dead.

#10    jbondo

jbondo

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

I can see that most of you don't really understand this at all. What it means is living a more productive, alert and active life into old age. The reason people require old age homes and medical treatment, etc.. is because of disease and infirmity. What this pill is supposed to do is mimic the genetic makeup of a fairly healthy elderly person. Meaning you won't need all that treatment, doctors visits, personal care, etc..In turn you will be capable of maintaining and living in your own home longer, driving your own car longer, etc... It's not just about the years of life people, it's about the quality of life as well.

Frankly, It would be amazing if this stuff did make it to market. Look at how much the medical field depends on old people. Not to mention pharmaceuticals, old age homes and on and on. Then again, a great deal of them may develop issues at 105 or something. I would also expect that the pills will be priced way out of reach for the average citizen.

#11    AydenClare

AydenClare

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• To each his own.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

I definitely agree with jbondo on this. Although I do worry about what this could mean for overpopulation and benefit systems, it's really the quality of life that's appealing here. Take it from someone who has watched a grandparent slowly whither away from Alzheimer's disease. If I don't have to watch my parents do the same, I'm all for it. Although, I do wonder about the price...

#12    Mbyte

Mbyte

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

• Your scepticism disturbs me

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

I just happened to download this documentary. Horizon: Don't Grow Old

This guy studied a perticular breed of human. They were jews or something like that. There was a woman who looked 60-70 but was in fact 102 years old. These people often smoked two cigerettes a day for their entire lives. This woman seemed very lively and it would appear she could live another 20 years. The scientists took a look at there genes and found perticular genes that they have and he basically put them in a pill. The main conclusion to aging in this documentary was how many genes you have that last longer. Basiclly if you are made up a genes that multiply and deteriorate tyhen you get old faster and if you have lots genes that have natural longevity then you live longer. There was also another experiemnt someone done where they got old people from a place deader then a grave yard and put them into a apartments that were styled like the 40's apartments. This was to create an illusion as if the were back in time and it had an amazing positive effect. The old people started doing stuff again and some through away their walking stick etc. If anyone wants the torrent pm me.

Edited by Mbyte, 05 February 2010 - 05:26 PM.

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

#13    Opus Magnus

Opus Magnus

Psychic Spy

• 1,175 posts

• blessed be

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

Whatever, this doesn't sound right to me.  It has to do more with the centers in the body that create the adult stem cells to replenish your other cells.  The cells they call the immortal cells, since they can reproduce indefinitely...  It just doesn't make sense to take pills to give you good genes.

#14    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:21 PM

It's the first step to immortality. Somehow I doubt this pill will be marketed to the public so it would hardly be adding to overpopulation.

#15    zenfahr

zenfahr

Psychic Spy

• 1,599 posts
  • Location:Center of my universe.... which is located in a bunker in New Mexico.

• "The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the Crow"
    -Nobody

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

Ok, I'll take it, but only after they find a cure for ageing.

.....Im NOT here.....

My Art Gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users