Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Urban farmers too ignorant or squeamish to

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,374 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:50 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

It is a noble dream for many - the state of self-sufficiency, with animals living contentedly in the garden alongside beds full of fruit and veg.

And as post-recession hardships continue to bite, the Good Life ambition may appear even more attractive.

The reality of course, is never so simple.Many 'townies' attempting to emulate Tom and Barbara in the classic BBC comedy simply do not know enough about caring for animals, the RSPCA has warned.

One owner did not realise sheep had to be sheared and one of his flock ended up looking like a small woolly mammoth.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    War Eagle

War Eagle

Esoteric Seeker

• 6,559 posts

• Reason deceives us - conscience never.

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:42 AM

'Pigs like to root around, dig up mud and wallow in it, said Jo Barr, of the RSPCA.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz0ei8ExDBX

Can see it all now; families of backyard urban pigs soak'n up the rays, run'n amok mak'n love and/or mak'n bacon for the owners.

#3    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:59 AM

Being a farmer requires a LOT more than painting the barn pretty colors and having cute baby animals. It's thankless, smelly, labor intensive and just doesn't pay as well anymore.

#4    Pinx

Pinx

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

• Perhaps an attic shall I seek...

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

Farm animals shouldn't be kept in an urban setting, anyway. There's usually not enough room, even in a decent sized back yard.

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile." --Kurt Vonnegut

#5    War Eagle

War Eagle

Esoteric Seeker

• 6,559 posts

• Reason deceives us - conscience never.

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:31 AM

within reason i guess, people like to be self sufficient.

Maybe the smaller variety; few pet chickens, couple ducks (eggs) little lamb (later lamb roast) goat (no more hedging & mowing lawns), cow (milk),  Pig (spare ribs...squeeeeeal!)...

#6    The_Griffin

The_Griffin

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

• "It's never too late to be what you might have been."
    -George Elliot

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:08 AM

With all those roosters they probably were fighting each other all time.

#7    cluey

cluey

complete paradox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Location:~in your head,lol.....seriously though............."the driest continate on earth".......which is also comparable to a land mass on another planet!!!...........

• BLACK ADDER!!!.."let's get them when and where they are most vulnerable"...*WHACK*....."just my luck to get the one that was hard".... :D

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:44 AM

View PostREBEL, on 06 February 2010 - 06:31 AM, said:

within reason i guess, people like to be self sufficient.

Maybe the smaller variety; few pet chickens, couple ducks (eggs) little lamb (later lamb roast) goat (no more hedging & mowing lawns), cow (milk),  Pig (spare ribs...squeeeeeal!)...

Posted Image.....i can just picture REBEL the farmer,lol............................i'm guessing your farm would be more on the spare rib sidePosted Image.....but it;s so true......farms are a lot of hard smelly work...............i'm astounded that someone would own sheep and not  even realize they had to be shearedPosted Image

Edited by cluey, 07 February 2010 - 04:45 AM.

Believes all people have to admit to some level of neurosis!!!
will never let my mother cut my hair again!!!!
The feet you step on today!....might be attached to the legs of the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!!!!
it is hard to sore high with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys!!!!

#8    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,824 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:45 AM

View Postcluey, on 07 February 2010 - 04:44 AM, said:

Posted Image.....i can just picture REBEL the farmer,lol............................i'm guessing your farm would be more on the spare rib sidePosted Image.....but it;s so true......farms are a lot of hard smelly work...............i'm astounded that someone would own sheep and not  even realize they had to be shearedPosted Image

there are only two reasons to own a sheep or sheep and that is wool and food.  goats and cows produce milk, goat milk is supposed to be better for humans and those who are lactous intolerant can usually drink goat milk.  chickens and ducks produce eggs.  if i had the means i would keep chickens and ducks(i heard you need a couple of ducks around to help keep the chickens safe.) and a couple of goats.  my back yard is big enough for two goats and 12 chickens and 2 ducks.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#9    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,027 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:53 AM

http://www.sheepchee.../Index.htm.html

Not the only reason to keep sheep.

#10    cluey

cluey

complete paradox

• 2,080 posts
  • Location:~in your head,lol.....seriously though............."the driest continate on earth".......which is also comparable to a land mass on another planet!!!...........

• BLACK ADDER!!!.."let's get them when and where they are most vulnerable"...*WHACK*....."just my luck to get the one that was hard".... :D

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:05 AM

View Postdanielost, on 07 February 2010 - 05:45 AM, said:

there are only two reasons to own a sheep or sheep and that is wool and food.  goats and cows produce milk, goat milk is supposed to be better for humans and those who are lactous intolerant can usually drink goat milk.  chickens and ducks produce eggs.  if i had the means i would keep chickens and ducks(i heard you need a couple of ducks around to help keep the chickens safe.) and a couple of goats.  my back yard is big enough for two goats and 12 chickens and 2 ducks.

so true......it's honestly more realistic to keep a small farm....much easier to handle...........let the experts keep looking after the large numbers.......

The feet you step on today!....might be attached to the legs of the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!!!!

#11    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,027 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:43 AM

View Postdanielost, on 07 February 2010 - 05:45 AM, said:

I'd like to know where you got the misinformation that ducks keep chickens safe. This is the kind of fallacy that got these people, and those poor animals, into the situation they are in...where they didn't know how to take care of them. A goat needs about an acre of land to graze and still needs feed and hay.

Paris Hilton and her pocketbook accessory pooch come to mind. It's cool to own them, but it's cruel, if you don't know how to take care of them.

#12    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,824 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:45 AM

View PostMichelle, on 07 February 2010 - 06:43 AM, said:

I'd like to know where you got the misinformation that ducks keep chickens safe. This is the kind of fallacy that got these people, and those poor animals, into the situation they are in...where they didn't know how to take care of them. A goat needs about an acre of land to graze and still needs feed and hay.

Paris Hilton and her pocketbook accessory pooch come to mind. It's cool to own them, but it's cruel, if you don't know how to take care of them.

from a person who raised both of them.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#13    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,027 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:48 AM

View Postdanielost, on 07 February 2010 - 06:45 AM, said:

from a person who raised both of them.

What are they keeping them safe from?

#14    cluey

cluey

complete paradox

• 2,080 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

View PostMichelle, on 07 February 2010 - 06:48 AM, said:

What are they keeping them safe from?

you have never lived on a farm i take it?????........there are fox's.....depending on the country.....many wild,hungry vermin that kill chickens and many other animals on farms...............not that gekhos are a problem here.....but i have like 10-20 wild ones that come in and out of home day and night......there are awesome.....they catch mosquitoes,flies,ants.........................

Edited by cluey, 07 February 2010 - 10:46 AM.

#15    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

Oh, this is sad.

If you want to be a so-called "urban farmer", for God's sake buy an Omlet and have done with it.

Everyone buying eggs to find 'half are cockerels' are going to have a shock when they get bigger!

Maybe these people should comfort themselves with the notion that killing their animals is probably a lot kinder than keeping them because they can't bear to murder their little 'pets', then with that thought still fresh go out and wring a couple of rooster's necks and have a nice roast dinner :o

Too harsh?  :innocent:

Pigs are messy. Period. Don't get one if you like your rockery in the style it is now. Goats will eat anything, and are wiley buggers. Don't get one if your neighbours have prize flowerbeds. Lambs... well, in theory you probably could keep one, fatten it up, but come on, how many people not used to it are going to be able to kill it/have it killed?

Another (related) thing that's been annoying me lately... micro pigs. Yes they are very cute, and are probably easier to care for than their full size counterparts, but everywhere advertises them as pets! They WILL still wreck your garden- they still need constant access to the outside, I don't care how small or cute they are. </rant>

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users