Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Urban farmers too ignorant or squeamish to

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

View PostMichelle, on 07 February 2010 - 06:48 AM, said:

What are they keeping them safe from?
hawks and small prediters.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#17    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,033 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

View Postcluey, on 07 February 2010 - 10:35 AM, said:

you have never lived on a farm i take it?????........there are fox's.....depending on the country.....many wild,hungry vermin that kill chickens and many other animals on farms...............not that gekhos are a problem here.....but i have like 10-20 wild ones that come in and out of home day and night......there are awesome.....they catch mosquitoes,flies,ants.........................

You would be wrong.

I'll ask one more time......................how...do...ducks...keep...chickens...safe...from...predators?

#18    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

View PostMichelle, on 07 February 2010 - 04:09 PM, said:

You would be wrong.

I'll ask one more time......................how...do...ducks...keep...chickens...safe...from...predators?

the way i understand it.  they dont specifically protect the chickens they just protect their territory and if the chickens live in the territory with them.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#19    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

View PostMichelle, on 07 February 2010 - 04:09 PM, said:

You would be wrong.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps foxes being discouraged by the amount of noise a pissed off duck makes.

Posted Image

#20    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

And here I always thought having a rooster kept the chickens safe. We've had a couple of roosters and they are wicked evil when they want to be. Plus, if you keep the chickens in their hen house/chicken coop at night, they'll be relatively safe. During the day, there's usually too much going on and predators will keep their distance.

#21    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,033 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

All righty then...I hate to say it, but I think the person that told you that is full of bull, daniel. I've had turkeys, guineas, ducks and chickens...with the exception of size, in the case of the turkeys, predators aren't in the least deterred by a duck.

Edited by Michelle, 07 February 2010 - 04:42 PM.

#22    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

View PostMichelle, on 07 February 2010 - 04:39 PM, said:

All righty then...I hate to say it, but I think the person that told you that is full of bull, daniel. I've had turkeys, guineas, ducks and chickens...with the exception of size, predators aren't in the least deterred by a duck.

We had guineas...dirty birds they are....

They might be thinking about a goose as opposed to a duck. Geese are great "guard dogs", though I don't know about their effectiveness at thwarting a hungry fox, et al.

#23    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

View PostMichelle, on 07 February 2010 - 04:39 PM, said:

All righty then...I hate to say it, but I think the person that told you that is full of bull, daniel. I've had turkeys, guineas, ducks and chickens...with the exception of size, in the case of the turkeys, predators aren't in the least deterred by a duck.
Indeed... the best kind of protection you can have for them is a good strong fence with no holes or gaps and a well built coop. Depending on where you live, possibly a shotgun too.

Posted Image

#24    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,033 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

That reminds me of another commmon fallacy...that hens won't lay eggs without a rooster.

#25    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:13 PM

View PostMichelle, on 07 February 2010 - 05:04 PM, said:

That reminds me of another commmon fallacy...that hens won't lay eggs without a rooster.

:lol:  it was really interesting explaining that to my kids when they were little.

#26    J.B.

J.B.

Alien Abducter

• 5,427 posts

• Deadpan snarker in your midst: Jokers beware. I eat jokes for fun and spit out seriousness just because that's how I roll. :P

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hens won't lay fertilized eggs without a rooster, but they still have their own form of the human female's period. That's where the eggs we normally eat come from, yeah?

#27    Cetacea

Cetacea

Poltergeist

• 2,352 posts

• "How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when it is quite clearly Ocean."

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

Ignorant people romanticising animals, big surprise  :rolleyes:

And as post-recession hardships continue to bite
This part got me though. Whoever thinks keeping animals is cheap should have their head checked! Vet care, housing, feed?! We considered carefully whether we could afford a cat (food, litter, vet etc), never mind a group of pigs!
Ok, maybe if you do it on a large scale and you sell some of the products, maybe then it's cheaper but you need capital to get there first and most farmers are still anything but wealthy.

"There is about as much educational benefit to be gained in studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by observing prisoners held in solitary confinement" - Jacques Cousteau

"We're not unique, just at one end of the spectrum."

#28    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

View PostCetacea, on 07 February 2010 - 05:36 PM, said:

Ignorant people romanticising animals, big surprise  :rolleyes:

This part got me though. Whoever thinks keeping animals is cheap should have their head checked! Vet care, housing, feed?! We considered carefully whether we could afford a cat (food, litter, vet etc), never mind a group of pigs!
Ok, maybe if you do it on a large scale and you sell some of the products, maybe then it's cheaper but you need capital to get there first and most farmers are still anything but wealthy.
But Cet, don't you see? These are farm animals, they practically look after themselves! All you do is go out on a morning and scatter a handful of grain, and that's your "husbandry" done for the day!  :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#29    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,139 posts

• Oops.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

My grandfather used to own a farm, grew up helping him on it.
I know here in Florida, even in Pensacola towards the downtown area there are people who own chickens, pigs, goats, not seen any cattle however.

Also:
One way I keep myself entertained is by asking some of my less barn yard competent friends:
"If a rooster lays an egg on a roof, and there's a breeze coming from the west, what side of the roof does the egg fall off?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#30    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 07 February 2010 - 06:15 PM, said:

My grandfather used to own a farm, grew up helping him on it.
I know here in Florida, even in Pensacola towards the downtown area there are people who own chickens, pigs, goats, not seen any cattle however.

Also:
One way I keep myself entertained is by asking some of my less barn yard competent friends:
"If a rooster lays an egg on a roof, and there's a breeze coming from the west, what side of the roof does the egg fall off?

Someone stumped me with that one eons ago :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users