Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Nazca Lines

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#46    jmccr8

jmccr8

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

I don't know guys,the creimony or dance hall makes more sense.I'm thinking I'm hot,dusty and dehydrated first thing I should do in a desert is climb a mountain look for a monkey or a spyder then go find some underground water to quench my thirst and cool off.hmm okay.jmccr8

#47    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

View PostEldorado, on 12 February 2010 - 12:14 AM, said:

"........inappropriate assumptions based on I have no idea what." ...Graveyard Hound

"Another theory contends that the lines are the remains of "walking temples," where a large group of worshipers walked along a preset pattern dedicated to a particular holy entity, similar to the practice of labyrinth walking. Residents of the local villages say the ancient Nazca conducted rituals on these giant drawings to thank the gods and to ensure that water would continue to flow from the Andes."

http://csusm-sumspan...y-ecuador#toc17

I say they danced.

This is off topic  , but, the  Australian Aboriginal pathways crisscrossing the Continent are known to them as Song Lines.  Their beliefs require that they sing the world into continued existence as they travel the paths. They have different songs for the recreation of forces and animals and so on.  Such a nice idea i thought  it was worth sharing.  ( source: National Geographic Channel )

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#48    Riaan

Riaan

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

View Postjules99, on 12 February 2010 - 11:49 AM, said:

Hi Riaan;
This theory connects the glyphs and lines to underground water sources, not 100% proven but a good read;

http://www-unix.oit....es_Project.html

Cheers

Hi Swede and Jules99, thanks very much - this is the kind of reply that indeed helps! Will take a look at your references.

Best, Riaan

Author of

Thera and the Exodus, published February 2013, details here
Barbelo - The Story of Jesus Christ, published October 2014, details here

#49    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,554 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:00 PM

View Postlightlyy, on 12 February 2010 - 05:37 PM, said:

This is off topic  , but, the  Australian Aboriginal pathways crisscrossing the Continent are known to them as Song Lines.  Their beliefs require that they sing the world into continued existence as they travel the paths. They have different songs for the recreation of forces and animals and so on.  Such a nice idea i thought  it was worth sharing.  ( source: National Geographic Channel )

I think this /definitely/ is an interesting point.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#50    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• 1,102 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:25 AM

View Postlightlyy, on 12 February 2010 - 05:37 PM, said:

Hi Lightlyy;
Yes I think the idea of song lines is pretty abstract and predates writing, ,maybe serving as a mnemonic map to negotiate the land. The parallel between the nazca lines and glyphs that I can only guess would be that the nazca were origonally nomadic also....cause if they lived in the local permanently, why would they need the marker lines and glyphs. Im assuming an underground water connection with the glyphs here.

#51    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

• 9,554 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

I'm curious about the fact that most people seem to think there can only be a single purpose to the Lines. That seems a little short-sighted to me -- if you look at any major construction today, very few are single-purpose. Why can't ancient constructs be that way as well?

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#52    lakeview rud

lakeview rud

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

As interesting as the lines themselves are, it would apppear that the Nazcans sheared off the tops of several mountains to do their images and lines.... That's got to take an enormous amount of labor to do that!!

#53    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,816 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:20 AM

View Postlakeview rud, on 13 February 2010 - 10:52 PM, said:

As interesting as the lines themselves are, it would apppear that the Nazcans sheared off the tops of several mountains to do their images and lines.... That's got to take an enormous amount of labor to do that!!

You may wish to review the preceding pages.

#54    jmccr8

jmccr8

Psychic Spy

• 1,320 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:43 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 13 February 2010 - 05:59 PM, said:

I'm curious about the fact that most people seem to think there can only be a single purpose to the Lines. That seems a little short-sighted to me -- if you look at any major construction today, very few are single-purpose. Why can't ancient constructs be that way as well?

--Jaylemurph
  Hello JayLemurph that is an intersting proposal I am glad that you put that forward.I would also be interested in hearing some discussion to develope on that perspective,i think that it would bring forward some intriguing points throughout several of the threads.Thanks  jmccr8

#55    MARAB0D

MARAB0D

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

Maybe it was their race-course for llamas? And the parties of watchers were called Monkeys and Spiders? Like in Roman circus, there the spectators on the races were divided by colours, say Nero belonged to "green" party.

#56    MARAB0D

MARAB0D

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:58 AM

and at the end of the lines there was water source to give the animals drink?

#57    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

View Postjules99, on 13 February 2010 - 08:25 AM, said:

Hi Lightlyy;
Yes I think the idea of song lines is pretty abstract and predates writing, ,maybe serving as a mnemonic map to negotiate the land. The parallel between the nazca lines and glyphs that I can only guess would be that the nazca were origonally nomadic also....cause if they lived in the local permanently, why would they need the marker lines and glyphs. Im assuming an underground water connection with the glyphs here.

Hi Jules,  i woke up thinking of your post  hehe...  ( i had to look up the word mnemonic last night )  I think you make a good point about  the songs helping to remember the paths (song lines) .. I'm guessing.. the songs help them remember things ,like food and water sources on and nearby the paths,  AND   the paths (visual clues) help them remember the songs!  .. some paths and songs would change in time  along with changes in environment?   .. But the film stressed the belief held by the Aboriginals  that singing the songs is vital to the Recreation of the world.  
The National Geographic film was interesting.. it showed an arial mock up of some of the major song lines crisscrossing most all of Australia.   Their purpose is understandable...   the Nazca lines seem much more mysterious... but as Jaylemurph said.. possibly multi purpose.   ritual? and ???

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#58    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

• 9,554 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

View Postmarabod, on 14 February 2010 - 08:56 AM, said:

Maybe it was their race-course for llamas? And the parties of watchers were called Monkeys and Spiders? Like in Roman circus, there the spectators on the races were divided by colours, say Nero belonged to "green" party.

Let me also say, I love this idea, too.

Incidentally, that's one of the theories of the development of Greek theatre spaces, that they evolved from spectators sitting on hillsides to watch religious performances (including dancing) down at the bottom.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#59    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,911 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

Yep...a giant playground/ballroom sounds good to me.
I feel that too often we look at ancient enigmas and try to give them a profound or extremely practical explanation.  The ancients were human beings, and as such, wouldn't have needed much of an excuse to play and to dance.  Having fun comes natural.
Just look at the sports stadia and theatres today and in ancient Rome, Greece, China etc, and you'll see that "fun" was, and is, high on the agenda of every civilisation.

#60    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

View PostEldorado, on 14 February 2010 - 05:46 PM, said:

Yep...a giant playground/ballroom sounds good to me.
I feel that too often we look at ancient enigmas and try to give them a profound or extremely practical explanation.  The ancients were human beings, and as such, wouldn't have needed much of an excuse to play and to dance.  Having fun comes natural.
Just look at the sports stadia and theatres today and in ancient Rome, Greece, China etc, and you'll see that "fun" was, and is, high on the agenda of every civilisation.

Yeah, you're damn right.

That's what I always thought of those socalled "Venus" - or "Goddess" sculptures they found.

To me they were just little figurines created by some horny guy who loved voluptuous women.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users