Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Staff structure changes

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,817 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

As the site continues to grow and with anything up to 2000 new posts a day to manage i'm implementing a few changes to the way our site staff is organised in order to help extend our eyes and ears for picking up on and resolving any problems that might arise on the forums. As always I can't express enough my thanks for the fantastic job our moderator staff does in keeping these forums a safe and friendly place for our visitors, the member count and posting figures here are testament to that accomplishment.

The larger a forum becomes however the more difficult it becomes to moderate and the more daunting a prospect it is for any new moderator to learn everything that they need to know; the point is eventualy reached where having only one group of moderators who have to do absolutely everything has become less and less practical. In response to this i'm introducing a second tier moderator group to the forums, here are the titles for the new groups and the roles they will be playing:

Moderators
The moderators will be responsible for keeping the forums tidy and well maintained on a day to day basis including such jobs as moving/merging threads, fixing problems in posts, removing spam and offering members help and support where needed. The moderators will also be keeping an eye out for trouble and intervening where necessary, they will be watching for troublesome members, uncivil behaviour, disputes in threads and other problems.

In addition to moderators we now also have:

Senior Moderators
The senior moderators can do all the same things as regular moderators but with an emphasis on additional responsibilities such as dealing with member reports, warnings and bans, addressing general forum issues, resolving member disputes and other tasks behind the scenes that help to keep the forums running smoothly.

By dividing up the workload of forum moderation in to two groups the amount of work required of any individual staff member is lessened and the overall result is that we will have more moderators available to find and resolve problems, it also makes the role of moderator easier to learn as several of the more complex roles all moderators used to fulfil are now specific to one group.

Please remember that both moderators and senior moderators should be co-operated with equally, if any moderating staff member asks you to stop doing something then please co-operate with them, our staff are all volunteers and are acting in the best interests of the community, if you are doing something you shouldn't be doing and you are asked to stop then please stop.

It will take a short while to get the new staff structure up and running, all of our existing "Forum Mod. Team" moderators are now in the Senior Moderators group so we will be beginning recruitment of candidates for the new moderator group very soon.

Please do not post or send PMs asking to be recruited however, we'll contact you if you've been selected.

Thank you.

#2    Barnacle Battlefront

Barnacle Battlefront

Child of Skaro

• 5,393 posts

• There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A symptom of the universe

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

Sounds like a brilliant idea :tu:

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy as hell.- Maca02

#3    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

View PostSaru, on 20 February 2010 - 04:50 PM, said:

Please do not post or send PMs asking to be recruited however, we'll contact you if you've been selected.

Thank you.
best behaviour from now on then :unsure2:

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#4    Enigma wrapped in a puzzle

Enigma wrapped in a puzzle

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

I would make a brilliant moderator

Formerly known as Damon2000

#5    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,763 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

The Revamp Of Staff structure was a splendid Idea.But In The staff Listing all present Moderators Still remain to be in the groups of Global Moderators And Not Senior Group, Just Said...LOL

And , thumbs Up to the one who prepared the Rank Icons.Its more catchy and Lovely than before Now :tu:

Thanks
B???

Edited by behaviour???, 20 February 2010 - 05:16 PM.

Posted Image

#6    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

Good, I have to say the moderators on the site seem to be doing a fair good job, and I'm aware the work load they must experience.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#7    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,817 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

Behaviour??? said:

The staff Listing all present Moderators Still remain to be in the groups of Global Moderators And Not Senior Group
Thanks, fixed. :tu:

#8    She-ra

She-ra

~♥ Princess Of Power ♥~

• 10,859 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:29 AM

Cool :tu:

Posted Image

#9    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,579 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:41 AM

Saru, I haven't taken the time to thank you for all the work you and the other mods put into this site. So thanks for doing all the tedious tasks that most of us take for granted. This is a great website so cheers for all the work you guys do to keep it that way.

#10    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,763 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:30 AM

View PostSaru, on 20 February 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

Thanks, fixed. :tu:
You'r Welcome Boss ^_^

Posted Image

#11    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

Can I be the litmus test for all the new mods?
If they can go 10 posts with me without:
Posted Image
They can be mods.
Twenty, senior mods.
Thirty, and Saru has to retire.
Posted Image

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#12    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,030 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

I understand that we cannot ask to become a moderator but can we nominate someone?

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#13    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 22 February 2010 - 09:13 PM, said:

I understand that we cannot ask to become a moderator but can we nominate someone?

Nibs
i nominate saru :D

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#14    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 8,919 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 22 February 2010 - 09:13 PM, said:

Sorry. Moderator's are currently nominated by Senior Moderators and Admins. Public nominations run the risk of turning into a circle of friends nominating each other, comedy nominations, etc. and generally leads to false expectation and disappointment.

However, odds are that if they're good enough a candidate for someone to genuinely want to nominate them, then they're already on our short list.

View PostDr Alien, on 22 February 2010 - 09:14 PM, said:

i nominate saru :D
You want to demote Saru to just be a Moderator?

* Waits for impending 'plosion *

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?" - Tiggs vs PA - Did Jesus Really exist? - The Formal Debate:
HERE
Posted Image

#15    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

View PostTiggs, on 22 February 2010 - 09:53 PM, said:

You want to demote Saru to just be a Moderator?

* Waits for impending 'plosion *
in that case, i nominate you :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users