Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Environmentally-friendly' biofuels are more

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 42,487 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

'Environmentally-friendly' biofuels have been found to be more harmful to the planet than normal fossil fuel.

A new government study shows that the Department of Transport's aim to increase the level of biofuel in fuel sold across Britain will result in millions of acres of forest being burned down and turned into plantations.

The findings of the study showed that using palm oil instead of fossil fuel increase emissions by 31 per cent, failing to meet the European Commission standard of each litre of biofuel reducing emissions by 35 per cent.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

Environmentally Friendly

• 29,263 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

Of course, just as with oil (and even more absurdly, coal); whatever the carbon content of it may be, it's still produced on the other side of the world (regardless of whether or not it's of any benefit to the people who live there) and brought over great distances. I think the only possible long term answer is to use what can be produced locally and used locally; time to opt out of this ludicruous "global economy" that the politicians are always going about about having to "save". The only ones it's any benefit to are the ones pulling the strings behind the governments.

Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people."

~ D. Trump.

“You are going to hear all the familiar complaints: ‘freedom of speech,’ ” Mrs. Clinton said in an hourlong speech

#3    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,500 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

This stupidity was obvious from the very beginning. A kid could have done the calculations on the back of a fag packet in half an hour - so why didn't the experts ?
The adoption of Biofuels was just a con to avoid taking any serious action on the underlying issues.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#4    J.B.

J.B.

Alien Abducter

• 5,427 posts

• Deadpan snarker in your midst: Jokers beware. I eat jokes for fun and spit out seriousness just because that's how I roll. :P

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

The serious issues being that economically we need to localize ourselves. No more of this silly, "A person can work in one country, live in another, and buy products from across the ocean" rubbish that started with the Cold War.

#5    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

Maybe they didn't realise that basing it off diesel was worng in the first place? Petrol would have been much cleaner.

Localizing is a bit stupid these days. How else did you get your computer, keyboard and mouse? Where is your food grown? Overseas. And I don't think it will change.

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users