Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

In Memoriam

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#31    IamsSon

IamsSon

Unobservable Matter

• 11,870 posts

• If you cant explain it simply, you dont understand it well enough. ~ Albert Einstein

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:49 AM

One of the authors who took me through high school.  He will be missed.

"But then with me that horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to William Graham on July 3, 1881

#32    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:32 AM

sad.gif

A sad day indeed, 'Childhood's End' started me on my journey into devouring science fiction literature.

RIP Sir Arthur

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#33    ~ MacDDT ~

~ MacDDT ~

___~ ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ ~___

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

• I hope that I'm reincarnated as a bug because I know where I will find a good meal

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:45 AM

Not good news, no.gif he will be missed

"It’s funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen." Alex - Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange

#34    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:41 AM

ships-cat on Mar 19 2008, 12:31 AM, said:

I remember Rendevouz with Rama, and how it opened my reading horizons...

Magikman on Mar 19 2008, 03:32 AM, said:

'Childhood's End' started me on my journey into devouring science fiction literature.

I can't remember which of his novels or short stories I first read, but his books are part of the reason I have such a fascination (along with my earliest memory being Neil Armstrong walking on the Moon) with astronomy and spaceflight. As such, this man that I never met, helped shape my life.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 19 March 2008 - 07:41 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#35    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,557 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

ships-cat on Mar 19 2008, 12:31 AM, said:

Nooooooooooooo ohmy.gif

A bit of my Kittenhood just died. I remember Rendevouz with Rama, and how it opened my reading horizons...

I found the rama books in my grandpa's study when I was about 12, zipped through all of them in a matter of months - I think they were the first "grown up" books I ever read....

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#36    The Maharaja

The Maharaja

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

• If you let life dictate to you it will kick you every time if you dictate to it it will salute you and call you sir

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:09 PM

Once opon a time there was a little disabled kid who got to meet one of his science HERO,S he never forgot that day and he never ever will

"Good night sweet prince"
"may the wings of angels take you to your sleep"

R.I.P

#37    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:16 PM

Emma_Acid_88 on Mar 19 2008, 05:40 AM, said:

I found the rama books in my grandpa's study when I was about 12, zipped through all of them in a matter of months - I think they were the first "grown up" books I ever read....

I just knew you read alot...
Your astuteness and rational skills reveal that.   To be reading Sir Arthur's Rama books at age 12, and zipping through them in a matter of months says alot...a lot.

thumbsup.gif

#38    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:55 AM

NASA Statement on the Death of Arthur C. Clarke

The linked-image press release is reproduced below:

March 19, 2008
Dwayne Brown
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1726
dwayne.c.brown@nasa.gov

RELEASE: 08-083

NASA Statement on the Death of Arthur C. Clarke

WASHINGTON - The following is a statement from Alan Stern, NASA associate administrator for the Science Mission Directorate at Headquarters in Washington, regarding the death of Arthur C. Clarke:

"Arthur Clarke was a gifted writer of science and science fiction, and an unparalleled visionary of the future, inspiring countless young people throughout the middle and later 20th century with his hopeful vision of how spaceflight would transform societies, economies, and humankind itself.

"Although his personal odyssey here on Earth is now over, his vision lives on through his writing; he will be sorely missed."

-end -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: NASA Press Release 08-061

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#39    Mekorig

Mekorig

Government Agent

• 3,577 posts

• A Lithium flower about to bloom

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:06 PM

Rest in Peace Arthur C. Clarke. I could not aproved some action in your life, from my personal point of view, but you were part of a very special caste within humankind, those who imagine the future.

Im an evil pinko UN slave liberal commie

I don't think any of these "The Vague Society of Nebulous Meanies are going to take over the world and light up a planet" theories worry too much about practical considerations like that. It's all about rousing ill-informed, paranoiac fear, not making sense.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

#40    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

More on Sir Arthur from BBC News.

Conversations with a science visionary

In quotes: Sir Arthur C Clarke tributes

Arthur C Clarke: predictions

Posted Image
Click on button

#41    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

Former Soviet cosmonaut Konstantin Feoktistov dies

The USSR's first civilian cosmonaut Konstantin Feoktistov, a crew member of the Voskhod spaceship in 1964, has died in Moscow aged 83, Russian media say.

Feoktistov also designed and tested spaceships himself, and has a crater on the Moon named after him.
Full story: BBC News

Feoktistov played a very important role in the early development of manned spaceflight. As well as being the first civilian to fly in space on Voskhod 1 (launched 12th October 1964) he was also, under the leadership of Sergey Korolev, heavily involved in the design of the Vostok spacecraft, the modification of Vostok into the Voskhod vehicle and in the Soyuz spacecraft which is still flying to this day.

Rest in peace Konstantin Petrovich Feoktistov.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 07 April 2010 - 11:21 PM.

Posted Image
Click on button

#42    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:46 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 22 November 2009 - 04:55 PM, said:

Full story: BBC News

Feoktistov played a very important role in the early development of manned spaceflight. As well as being the first civilian to fly in space on Voskhod 1 (launched 12th October 1964) he was also, under the leadership of Sergey Korolev, heavily involved in the design of the Vostok spacecraft, the modification of Vostok into the Voskhod vehicle and in the Soyuz spacecraft which is still flying to this day.

Rest in peace Konstantin Petrovich Feoktistov.

Rest in peace, comrade!

FEOKTISTOV...on the far side.

Posted Image

#43    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:32 AM

McCall Mourned by Aerospace Community, Space Enthusiasts

01 March 2010

Dr. Robert McCall, celebrated painter and long-time contributor to the nation's aerospace fine arts programs, died on February 26. McCall spent much of his career documenting and artistically translating Americas space program for the public.

Source: NASA Channel - YouTube

Posted Image
Click on button

#44    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:34 AM

NASA Pioneer Aaron Cohen Dead at 79

02 March 2010

Spaceflight pioneer Aaron Cohen, a former director of NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, died Thursday, Feb. 25 after a lengthy illness. He was 79. Cohen's 33-year career with NASA included key leadership roles critical to the success of the Apollo and shuttle programs. As director, his steady hand at the helm of Johnson helped NASA recover from the shuttle Challenger tragedy and return the space shuttle to flight.

Posted Image
Click on button

#45    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:37 AM

Rembering NASA's First Senior Photographer

02 March 2010

As NASA's first senior photographer, Bill Taub covered every major agency event from the beginning of the Mercury project through the end of Apollo, giving the public a firsthand look at what NASA was about during those early days. Bill Taub died on Feb. 20, 2010. He was 86 years old.

Posted Image
Click on button

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users