Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Supermarkets to sell spirits in plastic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,447 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

Spirtis will come in plastic bottles and milk in bags as part of the latest consumer-led campaign to cut excess food packaging.

The major food retailers including Tesco, Sainsbury's and Marks and Spencer have all agreed to cut the carbon footprint of grocery packaging by 10 per cent over the next two years.

This will mean selling milk in bags, spirits in plastic bottles, meat in vacuum-packed plastic bags and loose fruit and vegetables. Even Easter eggs will come with less plastic packaging.

The agreement, that was driven by groups like the Women's Institute, will encourage retailers to provide facilities to recycle wrappings for bread and grapes as well as plastic bags.

To help consumers cut food waste, supermarkets will sell smaller portions such as half loaves of bread and suggest recipes for left overs.

The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, that drew up the agreement, said it could save consumers 800 million over three years because of the reduction in the amount of food thrown away.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,576 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

They need less plastic, not only less packaging. Real glass bottles are a lot less damaging to the environment from what I understand.

Embrace the impossible.

#3    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

View PostPurplos, on 04 March 2010 - 04:15 PM, said:

They need less plastic, not only less packaging. Real glass bottles are a lot less damaging to the environment from what I understand.

Same here. I think it is widely known that glass is a hell of a lot more EF than plastic.

Instead of changing the packaging, which will be thrown out anyway, why not have reuseable shopping bags and charge those who want plastic or do you have those in place already?

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#4    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

Our local Sainsburys has just started selling milk bags but on the first day, all the use by dates on the milk were out of date and the whole display was being replaced... not the best start to a product launch!

#5    Cetacea

Cetacea

Poltergeist

• 2,352 posts

• "How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when it is quite clearly Ocean."

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

I would have to agree, though it might have something to do with the carbon cost of recycling glass? :hmm:

"There is about as much educational benefit to be gained in studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by observing prisoners held in solitary confinement" - Jacques Cousteau

"We're not unique, just at one end of the spectrum."

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,558 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

Only if they are reused. Glass bottles that are thrown after one use have a disastrous carbon balance. The probably most efficient one-use are Tetra Packs for liquids.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,204 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

what i have noticed in the last three to four years, whenever i bought a cucumber, cabbage, turnip, broccoli etc.. they where never wrapped in anything. Now these items are wrapped in plastic. whats happening there?

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#8    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,078 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

to keep the others from getting pregnant or some venerial disease?

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users