Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Phaistos disk: ancient treasure or modern hoax?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: Wikipedia</strong>
Image credit: Wikipedia
Geoff Ward: International controversy continues over the refusal to date Crete's famous - some say infamous - Phaistos Disk to prove once and for all whether it is a priceless treasure of the ancient world dating to at least 1,700BC, or a clever hoax from the early years of the last century.

A recent plea to solve the mystery, by carrying out a special scientific test on the disk, was turned down in Greece on grounds that it is a national treasure and "untouchable".  

Professor Ioannis Lyritzis, of the University of the Aegean, Rhodes, applied for a permit for a thermoluminescence test but the Greek Ministry of Culture's conservation directorate refused because the test would involve drilling into what they regard as a unique artefact.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    kobolds

kobolds

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

something very weird . the disk shape is almost circle while the spiral in it is not . don't you find that strange ? it make you feel like it's a waste of good material

if you able to create  such almost perfect circle disk at that time , i'm sure you want the spiral in it also the same.

this is just my opinion from my art point

#3    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,368 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:26 PM

I don't know it is not that hard to make circle.  Whether or not it is old or fake I would love to have a copy to put in my garden. :)

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#4    Superglobe

Superglobe

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

• [insert snarky comment here]

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

Hasn't the "it's fake" argument been disproven something like twenty times now?

nothing to see here, folks.

#5    AmantdesEtoiles

AmantdesEtoiles

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:03 PM

Yes, the hoax theory has been disproved several times. The disk is close enough to linear A ( minoan language) and Linear B (mycenaean language) that is supposed that the symbols have phonetic values. It has been dated by a large number of scholars as circa 1700-1675 BC. Comparisons of existing Linear A examples has lead scholars to believe that the Phaistos disk is a formation of Linear A. The fact that the Greek government regards the disk as an ancient national treasure and does not want it tested is not rare among governments and cultural property. Such testing can lead to damage to the artifacts or some become lost or stolen during the testing process. Just because they don't want the disk tested does not mean the authenticity is questionable. These days people have a tendency to discredit what they don't and might be impossible to understand.

#6    Blueguardian

Blueguardian

Poltergeist

• 2,248 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

Maybe it's some sort of timeline or calendar, That's the best guess I can make, otherwise I have no idea, but its certainly interesting.

Posted Image

(((Just My $00.2 cents)))

#7    Lizardian_guy

Lizardian_guy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Location:Undefinable variable entered, system failure imminent. Please contact your administrator.

• I think, therefore I am. Does this mean I can discard the existence of mankind?

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:21 AM

Whenever someone refuses to let their "priceless artifact" lose a nanogram of matter to date it, it's pretty clear that it's a fake.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Trying to explain the unknown as the work of God is equally stupid as trying to explain it as the work of the human mind.
~ Myself

#8    voiceofreason

voiceofreason

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 151 posts

• The proof is out there.

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

I have a copy of this disc on my desk. It has vexed me for such a long time.

#9    Keymaker

Keymaker

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 130 posts

• Great Artists Have No Country

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostLizardian_guy, on 08 March 2010 - 05:21 AM, said:

Whenever someone refuses to let their "priceless artifact" lose a nanogram of matter to date it, it's pretty clear that it's a fake.

I don't think that's fair, I can understand them not wanting to risk the disc whatsoever.

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials." - Confucius

#10    Agent X

Agent X

Illustrious Potentate Of All Time Space And Matter

• 5,086 posts

• Invent nonsense computer jargon in conversations, and see if people play along to avoid the appearance of ignorance.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:59 AM

I can understand not wanting to damage the disk either, but I'd want to be sure.

However, there might be some contamination on it which could skewer the testing as well.

Posted Image

#11    rednaxela

rednaxela

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

Mystery of the Phaistos Disk  disclosed?
Text contents of this Disk - the rulers dedication to the  high-god of the moon, copied from a labels, made in the form of three bilateral poleaxes, or from  inscriptions directly on poleaxes. One of these poleaxes, the largest, four-blade may be used as a lunar calendar. The Disk itself - the moon during a  full moon - a sort of portable version of the dedications and calendar.
For details, see my website:   http://phaestos-disk.at.ua

#12    Bouzanis K.

Bouzanis K.

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

An actions report of a manager of the ancient Phaistos commercial center

The famous Phaistos Disc is a printed, per paragraph, synoptic report of a manager actions from the Phaistos commercial center. The spirals, for technical reasons, are starting with guide the edge of the disc, from the periphery to the center, and the inscription, again for technical reasons, begins reversely.
   The Phaistos Disk, the Column from Abydos, the Rosetta’s Stone, the plate from Egkomi, the plate from the Athena's sanctuary of the Idalion and the plate of Kortona are some written reports or publications current accounting's and regulatory acts for the king's or administration's or municipality's informing.

https://skydrive.liv...123&app=WordPdf

#13    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,713 posts

• Redbonz Stumpjumper from the swamps of Shamong

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think the thing is a board game. Like Monopoly

Token Nanticoke
http://woodlandindia...orums/index.php
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users