Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A few interesting Bible facts...

Nxt2Hvn

(Facts as in what the Bible teaches... not necessarily "the facts" according to most of you - just wanted to clear that up before I posted this)

I am posting this just for those of you interested ... so please be nice... there really is some interesting stuff....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About 50 Bibles are sold every minute.

Christianity is the world's most widespread religion (1,7 billion Christians).

The Bible was written in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek.

The 12 disciples were not were not allowed to carry food, money, or extra clothing.

Dogs are mentioned 14 times in the Bible, and lions 55 times, but domestic cats are not mentioned at all.

The Bible, the world's best-selling book, is also the world's most shoplifted book.

The oldest almost-complete manuscript of the Bible still existing is the Codex Vaticanus, dating from the first half of the 4th century, now held in the Vatican library.

The word "Christian" appears only three times in the Bible: Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16.

The word "Lord" appears 1855 times in the Bible.

The word "God" appears in every book except Esther and Song of Solomon.

The word "grandmother" appears in the Bible only once: 2 Timothy 1:5.

The word "eternity" is mentioned only once: Isaiah 57:15.

Seven suicides are recorded in the Bible.

In Old Testament times the Mediterranean Sea was called the Great Sea.

See told you it would be informative... and harmless ... wink2.gif

• Like 1

A few more intersesting factoids:

The Bible contains 66 books, divided among the Old and New Testaments.

There are 39 books in the Old Testament.

There are 27 books in the New Testament.

Testament means "covenant" or "contract."

The Bible was written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit by over 40 different authors from all walks of life: shepherds, farmers, tent-makers, physicians, fishermen, priests, philosophers and kings. Despite these differences in occupation and the span of years it took to write it, the Bible is an extremely cohesive and unified book.

Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible, referred to as the Pentateuch; the foundation of the Bible.

The Apostle Paul wrote 14 books (over half) of the New Testament.

It was written over a period of some 1,500 years, from around 1450 B.C. (the time of Moses) to about 100 A.D. (following the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ).

Many scholars agree that Job is the oldest book in the Bible, written by an unknown Israelite about 1500 B.C. Others hold that the Pentateuch (the first five books of the Bible) are the oldest books in the Bible, written between 1446 and 1406 B.C.

The book of Malachi is the youngest book of the Old Testament, written about 400 B.C.

Probably the oldest book of the Old Testament is the book of James, written as early as A.D. 45.

The Book of Revelation is the youngest book of the New Testament, written about 95 A.D.

The Bible was written in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek.

The entire New Testament as we know it today, was canonized before the year 375 A.D. The Old Testament had previously been canonized long before the advent of Christ.

"Canon" is derived front the Greek word "Kanon," signifying a measuring rod. Thus, to have the Bible "canonized" meant that it had been measured by the standard or test of divine inspiration and authority. It became the collection of books or writings accepted by the apostles and leadership of the early Christian church as a basis for Christian belief. It is the standard by which all Christians throughout the ages live and worship.

The oldest translation of the Bible was written in 1382 A.D., by John Wycliffe.

The Bible was first printed in 1454 A.D. by Johannes Gutenberg who invented the "type mold" for the printing press. It was the first book ever printed.

The Codex Vaticanus is the oldest almost-complete manuscript of the Bible, which dates from the first half of the fourth Century. It is located in the library of the Vatican in Rome. There are older fragments of the Bible that are still preserved however-- the oldest being a tiny scrap of the Gospel of John was found in Egypt, dating back to the beginning of the second century. (It is currently in the Rayland's Library in Manchester, England).

The book of Psalms is the longest book of the Bible.

2 John is the shortest book.

Psalm 119 is the longest chapter.

Psalm 117 is the shortest chapter.

Esther 8:9 is the longest verse.

John 11:35 is the shortest verse.

The book of Esther does not mention “God.”.

Methuselah was the oldest man who ever lived at 969 years old (Genesis 5:27).

Enoch, who walked with God and was no more (Genesis 5:22-24); and Elijah, who was caught up by a whirlwind into heaven (II Kings 2:11); were the only people who never died in the Bible, but were taken up to heaven.

Moses was the meekest man in the Bible (not counting Jesus)(Numbers 12:3).

The Holy Bible has been translated into 2,018 languages, with countless more partial translations, and audio translations (for unwritten languages). (This is an enormous amount of translations. In comparison, Shakespeare, considered by many to be the master writer of the English language, has only been translated into 50 languages.)

The Bible is the best selling book in the world.

• Like 1

No time to read them all now, leaving for a plane in like 5 min. Anyway, my question is, how come 50 bibles are sold every minute? Wouldnt that make a huge surplus of bibles? Whats happening to all the other bibles? Are they being burned or something?

More facts....

The original name of the Old Testament, and the name Jesus and the people of his time called it, and the Jews of today still do, is "Tanakh" (pronunce Ta-Na-Kh, where "Kh" pronunced like "ch" in Loch Ness).

The original name of the Pentateuch is "Torah".

The language of the Hebrews/Israelites is never called "Hebrew" in the scriptures, but is reffered to as "Canaanite" (in Hebrew - "Knaanit").

Anyway, my question is, how come 50 bibles are sold every minute? Wouldnt that make a huge surplus of bibles? Whats happening to all the other bibles? Are they being burned or something?

I don't know about other countries, but every hotel/motel room in the United States has a Bible in a drawer. And more inns of the kind are being built every day!

Heck, in Hawaii I stayed at a hotel that had a Bible, The Book of Mormon, and the teachings of Buddah in every room!

• Like 1

Leave it to our resident trouble maker to start a thread about religion, and facts, AGAIN... LMAO.... You are crazy HVN, and ballsy... wink2.gifwub.giftongue.gif (I love it)

OK, so here is my two cents, something that should be kept in mind.

The bible itself, used as a moral guide of some sort, is ok to me. I am not religious, but I don't have a problem with it being used as a tool for a better life.

We should all keep in mind though, that Bibles are mass produced by companies that produce other genres' of literature. The Bibles themselves are not holy, and we should all understand that. So, in my humble opinion, it makes little sense to have to swear on a bible for any reason.

Reese wub.gif

Leave it to our resident trouble maker to start a thread about religion, and facts, AGAIN...  LMAO....  You are crazy HVN, and ballsy...  wink2.gif  wub.gif  tongue.gif    (I love it) 

Why thank you sweety!!! You say the nicest things!! wub.gifthumbsup.gif

As long as I know you've got my back! wink2.gif

~~Nxt2Hvn

Edited by Nxt2Hvn

What impresses me about the Bible, is the fact that it contains scientific knowledge that couldn't have been known at the time. For example, the Book Of Job talks about the earth as a suspended ball. The Catholic Church would have had a tough time explaining that one to the masses back in the middle ages.

The Psalms talk about the "pathways of the seas". This was later used to inspire a particular sailor who mapped out the world's underwater currents which are used today.

Proof of divine inspiration? I certainly think so. Merely a morale book..well that's left up to the reader but I personally don't think so. I ask the question, is it the only religious book that stacks up with modern science? Before you answer that one, let's do our homework and not throw in the usual debate about evolution. Cause evolution has been proven to be a false science. There is nothing simple about a single celled organsim.

paradigm tongue.gif

Man, you have no idea. The bible talks about everything. It even has great techniques on how to diet.

Proof of divine inspiration? I certainly think so. Merely a morale book..well that's left up to the reader but I personally don't think so. I ask the question, is it the only religious book that stacks up with modern science? Before you answer that one, let's do our homework and not throw in the usual debate about evolution. Cause evolution has been proven to be a false science. There is nothing simple about a single celled organsim.

paradigm blue, this thread is simply about Bible "FACTS," interesting little tidbits. Nothing scientific or religeous.

Please lets not turn this into a flame war that will eventually get closed. There are other threads for the science/religeon debate.

I've heard all of this information (and misinformation and misquotings) before. I am sure all mythologies have some very interesting facts and tidbits!

To me, the bible is all facts.

I'm sure that to a Buddhist the Seven Books of Mahayana are all facts, but let's face it, the Bible meets all of the criteria of mythology!

but let's face it, the Bible meets all of the criteria of mythology!

Actually, the Bible is not a mythology but a religious book.

Christian, Jewish and Muslim mythologies are seperated from their holy books, but were created based on those books and on oral traditions.

The Bibles themselves are not holy, and we should all understand that. So, in my humble opinion, it makes little sense to have to swear on a bible for any reason.

I think it is just a symbolic gesture Reese. When one swears on a Bible and says, So help me God, they are actually taking an oath before God and Man that what they say is true. Swear to God! tongue.gif

Edited by joc

Stop me if I am wrong.

Who was Adams first wife?

Eve no it was Lilith who rebelled against god'

This exists in jewish lore predating the earliest bible storys

Why isnt Lilith in the bible?

Coz she does not fit.

Why does Jesus` life have disturbing paralles to the life of Mithras?

tongue.gif

• Like 1

who is lilith? why isnt she/he exists nor mentioned on the bible? im not really an agnostic atheist but i havent have heard about lilith before... is this true or just a tricky hoax?

The follow text is quoted from:

Hebrew Myths by Robert Graves and Raphael Patai (New York: Doubleday, 1964), pp 65-69.

Chapter 10: Adam's Helpmeets

(a) Having decided to give Adam a helpmeet lest he should be alone of his kind, God put him into a deep sleep, removed one of his ribs, formed it into a woman, and closed up the wound, Adam awoke and said: 'This being shall be named "Woman", because she has been taken out o f man. A man and a woman shall be one flesh.' The title he gave her was Eve, 'the Mother of All Living''. 1

(cool.gif Some say that God created man and woman in His own image on the Sixth Day, giving them charge over the world; 2 but that Eve did not yet exist. Now, God had set Adam to name every beast, bird and other living thing. When they passed before him in pairs, male and female, Adam-being already like a twenty-year-old man-felt jealous of their loves, and though he tried coupling with each female in turn, found no satisfaction in the act. He therefore cried: 'Every creature but I has a proper matel', and prayed God would remedy this injustice. 3

© God then formed Lilith, the first woman, just as He had formed Adam, except that He used filth and sediment instead of pure dust. From Adam's union with this demoness, and with another like her named Naamah, Tubal Cain's sister, sprang Asmodeus and innumerable demons that still plague mankind. Many generations later, Lilith and Naamah came to Solomon's judgement seat, disguised as harlots of Jerusalem'. 4

(d) Adam and Lilith never found peace together; for when he wished to lie with her, she took offence at the recumbent posture he demanded. 'Why must I lie beneath you?' she asked. 'I also was made from dust, and am therefore your equal.' Because Adam tried to compel her obedience by force, Lilith, in a rage, uttered the magic name of God, rose into the air and left him.

Adam complained to God: 'I have been deserted by my helpmeet' God at once sent the angels Senoy, Sansenoy and Semangelof to fetch Lilith back. They found her beside the Red Sea, a region abounding in lascivious demons, to whom she bore lilim at the rate of more than one hundred a day. 'Return to Adam without delay,' the angels said, `or we will drown you!' Lilith asked: `How can I return to Adam and live like an honest housewife, after my stay beside the Red Sea?? 'It will be death to refuse!' they answered. `How can I die,' Lilith asked again, `when God has ordered me to take charge of all newborn children: boys up to the eighth day of life, that of circumcision; girls up to the twentieth day. None the less, if ever I see your three names or likenesses displayed in an amulet above a newborn child, I promise to spare it.' To this they agreed; but God punished Lilith by making one hundred of her demon children perish daily; 5 and if she could not destroy a human infant, because of the angelic amulet, she would spitefully turn against her own. 6

(e) Some say that Lilith ruled as queen in Zmargad, and again in Sheba; and was the demoness who destroyed job's sons. 7 Yet she escaped the curse of death which overtook Adam, since they had parted long before the Fall. Lilith and Naamah not only strangle infants but also seduce dreaming men, any one of whom, sleeping alone, may become their victim. 8

(f) Undismayed by His failure to give Adam a suitable helpmeet, God tried again, and let him watch while he built up a woman's anatomy: using bones, tissues, muscles, blood and glandular secretions, then covering the whole with skin and adding tufts of hair in places. The sight caused Adam such disgust that even when this woman, the First Eve, stood there in her full beauty, he felt an invincible repugnance. God knew that He had failed once more, and took the First Eve away. Where she went, nobody knows for certain. 9

(g) God tried a third time, and acted more circumspectly. Having taken a rib from Adam's side in his sleep, He formed it into a woman; then plaited her hair and adorned her, like a bride, with twenty-four pieces of jewellery, before waking him. Adam was entranced. 10

(h) Some say that God created Eve not from Adam's rib, but from a tail ending in a sting which had been part of his body. God cut this off, and the stump-now a useless coccyx-is still carried by Adam's descendants. 11

(i) Others say that God's original thought had been to create two human beings, male and female; but instead He designed a single one with a male face looking forward, and a female face looking back. Again He changed His mind, removed Adam's backward-looking face, and built a woman's body for it. 12

(j) Still others hold that Adam was originally created as an androgyne of male and female bodies joined back to back. Since this posture made locomotion difficult, and conversation awkward, God divided the androgyne and gave each half a new rear. These separate beings He placed in Eden, forbidding them to couple. 13

Heres a fact

The books of the bible old and new have been used to justify war genocide even.

Billions of souls must have died through religion in europe alone.

Here is another bible fact

If all of us lived by the 10 comandments.

All the **** would stop

Actually I believe the Bibles Ten Commandments do not condemn killing for war.

Or at least thats what I have heard from some Jews.

The words kill and murder are quite different.

Not so sure about this though.

And about that long post..

Adam tried to couple with the female animals? LOL never heard that before..but for some reason..I find it quite hilarious.