Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

[Merged] Dyatlov Pass incident

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

Poll: [Merged] Dyatlov Pass incident (156 member(s) have cast votes)

What happened to them?

1. Murder (9 votes [5.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

2. Alien Abduction (23 votes [14.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.74%

3. Bigfoot (4 votes [2.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

4. Werewolves/Vampire /Skinwalkers (6 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

5. Government Cover-up (29 votes [18.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.59%

6. Gang Attack (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Supernatural Causes (21 votes [13.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.46%

8. Other (64 votes [41.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

View Postbigdaddyinge, on 16 March 2010 - 10:21 AM, said:

nope. wrong marten. that's an AMERICAN marten. you are thinking of a pine marten, which in any case wouldn't just eat a tongue, besides the op states that the area around the dead people wasn't disturbed by scavengers.

yeah, tongue is ONE of the first bits wildlife usually goes for, not the ONLY bit. just trying to show how you people are grasping to explain this occurrance.
No it isn't a marten, same family (Mustelidae) different species.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat
So please don't criticise my knowledge on these animals, I know a lot more about them than you I suspect, especially in terms of recognition.
This is an American Marten
Posted Image

Secondly, I am not grasping, I am merely speculating.

Edited by Mattshark, 16 March 2010 - 10:50 AM.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#62    Isensee

Isensee

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

• "Through the sorrow all through our splendour.
    Don't take offence at my innuendo."

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

View Postbigdaddyinge, on 16 March 2010 - 10:21 AM, said:

yeah, tongue is ONE of the first bits wildlife usually goes for, not the ONLY bit. just trying to show how you people are grasping to explain this occurrance.

Grasping? They were there a while, these bodies so it's safe to assume the animals got to the tongue even if it wasn't the first bit they nibbled on.

#63    bigdaddyinge

bigdaddyinge

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

• no, of course i'm not all right. i'm half right. the other half is left.

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

View PostMattshark, on 16 March 2010 - 10:47 AM, said:

No it isn't a marten, same family (Mustelidae) different species.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat
So please don't criticise my knowledge on these animals, I know a lot more about them than you I suspect, especially in terms of recognition.
This is an American Marten
Posted Image

Secondly, I am not grasping, I am merely speculating.
my bad, looks an awful lot like a marten... no need to get defensive about your weasel-recognizing skills, no offense intended. speculation is fine, although like i said it's not likely that a scavenger, no matter what kind, will take just a tongue and not touch anything else. that was my point.

View PostIsensee, on 16 March 2010 - 10:52 AM, said:

Grasping? They were there a while, these bodies so it's safe to assume the animals got to the tongue even if it wasn't the first bit they nibbled on.
it wasn't the first bit, it was the ONLY THING MISSING. no nibble marks, bite marks, or disturbed ground around the bodies. i'm not saying that the missing tongue doesn't have a logical explanation, just that it's not likely, in my opinion, to be scavengers. personally i think either the woman bit it off somehow or that she froze with her mouth open, the tongue froze, then broke off and was lost when the body was discovered and transported off the mountain.

bigdaddyinge

#64    TheMuumio

TheMuumio

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

So, has no one thought that maybe the person missing the tongue just accidentally bit it off? Would make sense.

#65    bigdaddyinge

bigdaddyinge

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

View PostTheMuumio, on 16 March 2010 - 12:00 PM, said:

So, has no one thought that maybe the person missing the tongue just accidentally bit it off? Would make sense.
yeah, i think that is the likely culprit. or it froze off.

bigdaddyinge

#66    Isensee

Isensee

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

• "Through the sorrow all through our splendour.
    Don't take offence at my innuendo."

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

View Postbigdaddyinge, on 16 March 2010 - 11:14 AM, said:

it wasn't the first bit, it was the ONLY THING MISSING. no nibble marks, bite marks, or disturbed ground around the bodies. i'm not saying that the missing tongue doesn't have a logical explanation, just that it's not likely, in my opinion, to be scavengers. personally i think either the woman bit it off somehow or that she froze with her mouth open, the tongue froze, then broke off and was lost when the body was discovered and transported off the mountain.

*gasp* Blasphemous! There is nothing supernatural werewolf-ish and vampiric about this version therefore it couldn't be real! /sarcasm off  :lol:

Back on the serious part, I agree it could have frozen off/be bitten off or the mixture of those two as well.

And as promised, the link(I'm -fairly- certain that was the one I read way back) to the russian source about the incident - Pereval Djatlova. It's pretty extensive to those understanding the language :)

Ise

#67    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Actually, I hesitated to add this link, since they can be a tad tendencial, but for this once I'll break my own rule because at this point they got the most correct info about the case : http://www.aquiziam.com/.

On some additional pages they actually do as we do and speculate, but in the end they come up with some quite remarkable answers and expose some of the misconceptions around this case, as well as the bollox you read on some sites.

Like I said, I'm not one of their fans but in this case, hat off for the research they have done.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#68    bigdaddyinge

bigdaddyinge

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

View PostTheSearcher, on 16 March 2010 - 12:14 PM, said:

Actually, I hesitated to add this link, since they can be a tad tendencial, but for this once I'll break my own rule because at this point they got the most correct info about the case : http://www.aquiziam.com/.

On some additional pages they actually do as we do and speculate, but in the end they come up with some quite remarkable answers and expose some of the misconceptions around this case, as well as the bollox you read on some sites.

Like I said, I'm not one of their fans but in this case, hat off for the research they have done.
good job searcher! guess the op should've used that for his reference article. now that i know that the tongue AND oral cavity were damaged, then yes i agree it could be scavengers. :yes:

bigdaddyinge

#69    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

• "The Truth is out there."

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:48 PM

View PostKroe, on 14 March 2010 - 07:53 PM, said:

It was an unfortunate hiking accident which can easily be explained. They were the unfortunate victims of an avalanche and hypothermia. The reason they were partially dressed can be explained by paradoxical undressing.

The reason the bodies had a strange tint was due to the fact that they had lain dead in the sun for a number of days. The woman with the missing tongue could be attributed to scavengers, since that is one of the parts they will go for first. The three hikers with the crushed bodies and the torn tent all point to an avalanche as the cause.

Also, claims about radiation and orange spheres do not appear in the original inquest, which suggest they were add much later.

It was a sad, tragic accident, but nothing paranormal.
Your explanation makes perfect sense except that the government would not be involved in a cover up if all it was was an avalanche. Laying in the sun does not raise one's radiation level either. Do you know of any other incidents of skiers involved in an avalanche where they ended up like this?

Edited by Please-Forgive-Me, 16 March 2010 - 12:49 PM.

"The truth is out there......but are we willing to accept it when we find it?"

#70    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

• 3,845 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

View Postbigdaddyinge, on 16 March 2010 - 12:34 PM, said:

good job searcher! guess the op should've used that for his reference article. now that i know that the tongue AND oral cavity were damaged, then yes i agree it could be scavengers. :yes:

Well a few things started bugging me, like the lack of facts and research in the articles as well as in Wiki. I should have done this right away, to be honest. Oh well everybody has a blond moment now and then.

As to the tongue, the site says that it was partly scavengers partly normal decay, considering the bodies were there for about 10 to 15 days and temperatures ranging between -10 C and - 30 C are not enough to totally stop decay.

Publilius Syrus.

#71    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

• 3,845 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

View PostPlease-Forgive-Me, on 16 March 2010 - 12:48 PM, said:

Your explanation makes perfect sense except that the government would not be involved in a cover up if all it was was an avalanche. Laying in the sun does not raise one's radiation level either. Do you know of any other incidents of skiers involved in an avalanche where they ended up like this?

Read some of the link I posted it does address the radiation issue as well.

Publilius Syrus.

#72    1963

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

• When the day is through,and the nightsky shades the blue,and the swallows cease to sing as they fly!.......

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 16 March 2010 - 12:14 PM, said:

Thanks for that 'Thesearcher', this case has been bugging me for quite a while now! And with your exellent link, I will sleep better knowing a lot more facts about this case and finding that there really is only one big question to be answered! And that is what on earth possesed these nine poor unfortunate kids to panic so much as to virtually commit suicide,and rip open their tents and flee into the near arctic wilderness!!.... Having said that?..I wonder what wild and unwarrented theorys will spring up from that question..? Oh! and before you ask..  Mea culpa!! My imagination is just as wild as anyones on this forum...! 1959? Is'nt that about the time when young ones like these would be starting to experiment with L.S.D and such things that could give bad trips.... B)

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

#73    bigdaddyinge

bigdaddyinge

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:03 AM

View Post1963, on 17 March 2010 - 12:36 AM, said:

Thanks for that 'Thesearcher', this case has been bugging me for quite a while now! And with your exellent link, I will sleep better knowing a lot more facts about this case and finding that there really is only one big question to be answered! And that is what on earth possesed these nine poor unfortunate kids to panic so much as to virtually commit suicide,and rip open their tents and flee into the near arctic wilderness!!.... Having said that?..I wonder what wild and unwarrented theorys will spring up from that question..? Oh! and before you ask..  Mea culpa!! My imagination is just as wild as anyones on this forum...! 1959? Is'nt that about the time when young ones like these would be starting to experiment with L.S.D and such things that could give bad trips.... B)
maybe our government put it in their bread, the way they did in france.

bigdaddyinge

#74    Ell

Ell

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:41 AM

View PostSamuronin, on 14 March 2010 - 01:28 PM, said:

I have now read the wikipedia entry. I think that during the storm om the exposed mountain flank they got extremely cold in their tent. (Somewhat to the south is the Chelyabinsk region, which has the coldest temperature of Russia with a measured record temperature of -90 degrees F.) The blood vessels in their skin contracted or froze and they could not get rid any more of their internal body heat. Getting internally extremely hot, they took off their clothes and decided that they had to get out to cool down, exacerbating their freezing condition. Frozen as they were, they could not open the tent in the normal way and had to cut their way out. They managed to reach the forest to build a fire and a couple tried to return to the tent to retrieve supplies. Four others tried to reach the shelter of the ravine and may have been pelted by hail stones and been rapidly buried by an avalanche of crushing snow.

I cannot explain the missing tongue. Perhaps it froze or got stuck to freezing metal and had to be cut or ripped out.

#75    bigdaddyinge

bigdaddyinge

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:50 AM

View PostEll, on 17 March 2010 - 03:41 AM, said:

I have now read the wikipedia entry. I think that during the storm om the exposed mountain flank they got extremely cold in their tent. (Somewhat to the south is the Chelyabinsk region, which has the coldest temperature of Russia with a measured record temperature of -90 degrees F.) The blood vessels in their skin contracted or froze and they could not get rid any more of their internal body heat. Getting internally extremely hot, they took off their clothes and decided that they had to get out to cool down, exacerbating their freezing condition. Frozen as they were, they could not open the tent in the normal way and had to cut their way out. They managed to reach the forest to build a fire and a couple tried to return to the tent to retrieve supplies. Four others tried to reach the shelter of the ravine and may have been pelted by hail stones and been rapidly buried by an avalanche of crushing snow.

I cannot explain the missing tongue. Perhaps it froze or got stuck to freezing metal and had to be cut or ripped out.
interesting theory. i don't buy into just from the fact that although they were too frozen to simply unzip a tent, but weren't too frozen to walk almost naked a fairly good distance and get a fire started. the tongue, as the searcher's article addresses, was likely scavengers and decay. i think the lsd scenerio just might make sense as to why sane people would behave this way. :wacko:  these are my opinions.

bigdaddyinge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users