Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tesco's 'green' bags are WORSE for the

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

The 'degradable' plastic bags handed out in their millions by Tesco are more harmful than those they have replaced, a Government study has found.

The carrier bags, which are designed to break down within three years, leave behind tiny plastic particles that could harm birds, insects and mammals.

The report also warned the bags can litter the countryside for up to five years before they degrade, far longer than the supermarket claims.

This is because they need to be exposed to heat and sunlight for them to break down. And unlike ordinary bags, they cannot be composted or recycled.

The report will be a major blow to Tesco, which hands out around 500million of the '100 per cent degradable' bags a year.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,611 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

I prefer ordinary plastic anyway.  I just save them and use them as mini-trash bags so I don't have to buy the large ones very often.

#3    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

YOUR FAVORITE GIRL!

• 8,750 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

View PostWickian, on 14 March 2010 - 06:34 PM, said:

I prefer ordinary plastic anyway.  I just save them and use them as mini-trash bags so I don't have to buy the large ones very often.

That's what I do. My stepmom always recycles the plastic bags at Giant. I use them as trash bags.

As for the "green" bags. My stepmom uses them. I think I've heard about this. :/ I heard a report similiar to this.

Posted Image

#4    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,955 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

we use the hemp shopping bags from Tesco. nice and strong and when they wear out after about two years worth of use i use them in the pond to line the flower baskets.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#5    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

This is the type of thing that happens when everyone is in a rush to out "green" the competition.

#6    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,611 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 15 March 2010 - 06:33 PM, said:

we use the hemp shopping bags from Tesco. nice and strong and when they wear out after about two years worth of use i use them in the pond to line the flower baskets.
I'm pretty sure hemp products are illegal in my country even though they cannot be smoked.

#7    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

God, I hate this "green" overload...this is what happens...

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#8    Insaniac

Insaniac

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:12 AM

Tesco.

Evil Inside.

^^

#9    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

View PostInsaniac, on 16 March 2010 - 01:12 AM, said:

Tesco.

Evil Inside.

^^

But they do a great store brand vermouth. :D

#10    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,955 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

View PostWickian, on 15 March 2010 - 08:09 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure hemp products are illegal in my country even though they cannot be smoked.

strange that. do you know what the reason is? you can buy hemp seed over here hemp oil, and loads of hemp products.

Posted Image

#11    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,036 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 16 March 2010 - 07:28 PM, said:

strange that. do you know what the reason is? you can buy hemp seed over here hemp oil, and loads of hemp products.

You can buy hemp products in the US. I just googled 'hemp products in the US' and it had lots of links.

#12    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,955 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

View PostMichelle, on 16 March 2010 - 07:39 PM, said:

You can buy hemp products in the US. I just googled 'hemp products in the US' and it had lots of links.

;) well there you go, job done.  :tu:

Posted Image

#13    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,611 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:53 AM

View PostMichelle, on 16 March 2010 - 07:39 PM, said:

Huh, I always thought they were illegal.  The only hemp related news I've ever heard was about farms and factories being shut down over growing or producing hemp for industrial purposes.

Maybe hemp legality varies from state to state like other things.

Edited by Wickian, 17 March 2010 - 04:56 AM.

#14    Antimony

Antimony

Her Most Delicious Purpleness

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

• It's a Pony!

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

The carrier bags, which are designed to break down within three years, leave behind tiny plastic particles that could harm birds, insects and mammals.

Ordinary plastic bags do exactly the same, they just take longer to get to that stage. There are already umpteen studies that show the findings of accumulated plastic found not only in our oceans, but in the digestive systems of sea-animals and birds.

The report also warned the bags can litter the countryside for up to five years before they degrade, far longer than the supermarket claims.

And ordinary bags don't litter the countryside? For up to hundreds of years until they degrade?

This is because they need to be exposed to heat and sunlight for them to break down. And unlike ordinary bags, they cannot be composted or recycled.

Since when can ordinary bags be composted???

The difference of the Tesco bags is that they are degradable, but not biodegradable. Not the same thing.

The UK are so behind in the matter of those stupid plastic bags. In many European countries like Germany or France you simply don't get them anymore. You have to buy one, and these are more solid & made out of recycled plastic.

People really don't realize that we're heading towards a environmental plastic disaster!

Posted Image
Claudine went to the Ladies to power her nose.

#15    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

View PostWickian, on 15 March 2010 - 08:09 PM, said:

I never made that connection. I just thought it was a name that sounded Eco' and not actually from the plant. Aw man...

---

I remember when, when these 'Green' bags came out, on them was printed "Bio-Degradable". I guess they got into trouble as plastic isn't bio-degradable - it always stays as a plastic, up until it's microscopic.

I don't get why they don't set up 'Bins' outside all grocery stores, where you can put your plastic bags in. And they get recycled for different plastic uses. Maybe to re-make plastic bags.

---

Edit: I also don't see why we can't do an American and use paper bags.

Edited by GreyWeather, 23 March 2010 - 04:44 PM.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users