Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Will Detroit Become a Replica of Chernobyl's

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    katzemacht

katzemacht

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:08 AM

With a treasury that is $300 million short of the money needed to provide the most basic public services, the mayor is now urging and incentivizing residents to move from some of the blighted neighborhoods to more stable areas.

http://www.hnn.us/articles/124582.html

Posted Image
Jaguars don't have time to wait~
http://action.biolog...action_KEY=1680

Jaguar

#2    SRCivic98

SRCivic98

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

• When being pushed to the limits. Killing is just as easy as breathing.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

and I wonder what a stable area is to them because if I live in a house that is made of brick and has stood for years without damage and is well taken care of, I wouldn't leave it to go live in the rural areas where there is barely any houses and lots of gangs to torment my family. But I live in North Carolina so I don't think I can say too much on this subject. But I just know what I would do if North Carolina ever started that.

LIVE WITH HONOR, DIE WITH PRIDE - PERSONAL MOTTO

THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME - SNAKE PLISKIN IN ESCAPE FROM LA

ONCE ALL THINGS ARE ELIMATED, WHAT REMAINS, NO MATTER HOW IMPROBIBABLE IT MAY SEEM, MUST BE THE TRUTH - SHERLOCK HOLMES

#3    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,254 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

I don't think Detroit will be like Chernobyl as there is no radiation. I think when the mayor says move to more stable areas he means that garbage pick up sewage, police and fire rescue may become limited to certian areas.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#4    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 22 March 2010 - 01:07 PM, said:

I don't think Detroit will be like Chernobyl as there is no radiation. I think when the mayor says move to more stable areas he means that garbage pick up sewage, police and fire rescue may become limited to certian areas.
Yeah I don't really see the point in comparing it to Chernobyl, apart from sensationalising, of course.

Makes more sense to just say is it going to become a ghost town?

Posted Image

#5    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,254 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

View Poststorminateacup, on 22 March 2010 - 02:15 PM, said:

Yeah I don't really see the point in comparing it to Chernobyl, apart from sensationalising, of course.

Makes more sense to just say is it going to become a ghost town?

The headline is purely for shock value no doubt about it. I have been watching the Detroit issue for a little over a year and wow it's very sad to see... and pretty spooky as Detroit would make one hell of a ghost town.

#6    katzemacht

katzemacht

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

I realize it doesn't take a major catastrophe to clear out big cities, and one of the problems is that people might not be able to afford to move out. Detroit has depended on the auto industry for many years, now they have to try a different plan. I read a newspaper article a week or so ago stating that they might go for another Motown

Posted Image
Jaguars don't have time to wait~
http://action.biolog...action_KEY=1680

Jaguar

#7    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:37 PM

I see it as surviving, but as a much smaller city or town.  I don't know if they will lose their pro sports franchise after a while.
Not much anyone can do about it if there are few jobs there.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#8    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:28 AM

From the endless years of economic decline in most of America's urban areas, large cities and lesser developed small towns, Detroit is a sign of what's to come and it's gonna be really bad. The USA is a global superpower in its' decline and alike any other superpowers before them: Babylon, Greece, the Romans in Italia and Byzantine, Spain whom ruled nearly all of the Americas, the Islamic/Arab world, the British Empire in all 24 hour time zones, De-Gaulle era France and recently, the USSR or Soviet Russia, to just to name a few, these nations' economies, territorial size and well-being shrinks or decays to have a worsened standard of living and political instability. Our country seems to be waiting in line to fall down the trash bin of world history...and I hope not that never happens in our lifetimes.

Edited by ADMikey, 23 March 2010 - 12:30 AM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#9    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,797 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

I hate to say it, but I have to agree with you AD.  Things aren't what they used to be. It not just Detroit but many other cities are going that way.  Take Gary Indiana it is gone. I am glad I don't live in South East Michigan anymore.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#10    Amberlight

Amberlight

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

View PostADMikey, on 23 March 2010 - 12:28 AM, said:

From the endless years of economic decline in most of America's urban areas, large cities and lesser developed small towns, Detroit is a sign of what's to come and it's gonna be really bad. The USA is a global superpower in its' decline and alike any other superpowers before them: Babylon, Greece, the Romans in Italia and Byzantine, Spain whom ruled nearly all of the Americas, the Islamic/Arab world, the British Empire in all 24 hour time zones, De-Gaulle era France and recently, the USSR or Soviet Russia, to just to name a few, these nations' economies, territorial size and well-being shrinks or decays to have a worsened standard of living and political instability. Our country seems to be waiting in line to fall down the trash bin of world history...and I hope not that never happens in our lifetimes.

I do fear this also, and it makes me sad.  :(

Today on my walk I passed by this old lady who was sweetly calling to her cat. She said, “Here Sylvester, here kitty kitty, come here.” But while she said it she was holding this large broom. This made me wonder what she knew about Sylvester that the rest of us didn’t. - Amberlight

#11    gabe

gabe

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

View PostSRCivic98, on 22 March 2010 - 12:39 PM, said:

and I wonder what a stable area is to them because if I live in a house that is made of brick and has stood for years without damage and is well taken care of, I wouldn't leave it to go live in the rural areas where there is barely any houses and lots of gangs to torment my family.
I don't think people moving out of Detroit have to worry about the gang problem becoming worse.

And if by stable they mean "Safer then Detroit", then all of America is stable too them.

#12    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,254 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

Very sad to see such a once great city fall apart. This is a good doco that I watched last night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users