Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

my bigfoot experience

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#1    jtheat

jtheat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

I debated with myself about sharing this.  I know there will be those that will not believe me.  That use to bother me but now that I am almost 60 yrs old, I really don't care if anyone believe me or not.  It doesn't change a thing.  

So here goes...

Time:  Fall of 1976

During that time, we live in a small house on a gravel road about 5 miles or so S or SW of Chilhowie. The house we lived in was directly across the road there was the foothill of the Jefferson’s National Forest.  Behind the house were a field and a small stream.  At that time, there were just a few houses in the area.  The nearest neighbor was about 1 mile away in each direction. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of the road.  We only lived there for two months until a condominium was available in Marion, Va.   I search Mapquest to see if could help me recall the name of the road but unfortunately it didn’t.

Weather:  Warm 60 degrees and clear.  No wind that I remember.
Time of year:  Early Fall

A friend and I made plans to go hunting on a fall Saturday morning.  We were going to hunt in the mountains across from where I lived at that time. Very early that Saturday morning, my friend called to cancel due to his wife being called in to work and he had to baby-sit.  I was very dissappointed. I was excited about hunting and did not want to call off the trip so I decided to go hunting alone – against the advice of the my friend.  I had just move to Chilhowie from the Columbus, Ohio just a month before and was looking forward to hunting in the area.  We had nothing like this type of wilderness in central Ohio and I really wanted to go hunting and to walk the mountains so I went anyway. I now wished I didn't.

Since the slope in front of my house is very steep, I drove several miles down the road to an area where there is a gap that was easier to climb.  I had a 12 gauge shotgun that held 5 shells (buckshot), a backpack with a thermos of coffee, sandwich and some extra ammunition. I also had binoculars and a .45 SW in the truck’s glove compartment.  I did not take them with me.  I didn’t think I would need more than a 12 guage.

I spent about an hour “zig zag climbing” the mountain gap when I came to a level clearing near the top of one of the small peaks where I stopped to catch my breath.  As I looked around, I saw in the distance what appeared to be a “green teepee” just inside of the wood line next to a tree.  I was curious what it was so I walked over to take a look at the structure.  I was cautious since I knew that there were moonshine stills in the mountain and that moon-shiners did not like people anywhere near their stills.   As I approached it, I saw that it was constructed with a bunch of branches stacked against several limbs of two small trees that were bent to the ground.  The branches were obviously torn from trees or bushes very recently since the leaves were still fresh and green. The end of the branches was still sticky with tree sap.  I could see an opening and more green leaves on the ground inside of the structure and it looked as though it has been slept in recently.  It was apparent that someone made this thing and was using it as a shelter.  I thought there just might be a moonshine still around nearby and that those taking care of the still might have used this to catch a nap or use for shelter. I thought that it would probably be wise to move to leave the area.  
I walked another half hour through the woods on a path on an angle toward where I came from, when I came to another opening to a nearby meadow or grassy area.  When I arrived at this opening, I decided to take a break and have some coffee.  I sat down against a tree, leaned back and was enjoying my coffee when some strange things began to happen.  As I was sitting there, something small hit me on top of the head.  At first, I thought it was a nut from the tree but when it fell into my lap I saw it was a smooth round stone about the size of a quarter.  As I was looking at the stone on my lap, another stone, a little larger hit me in the arm.  The stones came from the left rear side of the tree from the grassy tree line at the edge of the woods about 20-25' away. This both puzzled me and frightened me. I jumped up and grabbed my shotgun.  I yelled out very loudly that if someone was playing a joke, it wasn’t smart to throw stones at a guy with a 12 gauge shotgun.  I have a hearing problem, but back then my hearing was better than it is today.  I listened and looked around to see if anyone was out there.  I did not hear or see anything.  I then decided it was time to get the hell out of there.  I picked up my backpack and started across the meadow when a flurry of about 3 or 4 egg sized rocks went flying by my head with one striking my backpack.  I felt that someone was trying to hurt me now and I was pissed.  I immediately turned and fired two shots in the air and yelled for the stone thrower to “grow some balls and come out”.  I stood there for about 2 minutes looking into the woods and the tree line to try to see who in the hell was throwing those stones or if anyone would step out and apologize for a bad joke.  I was angry as well as frightened.  No one came out or said anything.

Just to my right was a small stream in the middle of a gully that curved around into the forest behind the tree that I was sitting under just a few minutes ago.  I decided that I would walk up this gully to see if it would take me behind of whoever was throwing the stones hoping I could find this person.  As I was walking in the gully, I came to an area where there was a very nasty foul odor.  It was so strong that it stopped me in my tracks and made me cover my face with a glove to mask the smell.  It smelled like a combination of really rancid feces combined with a “wet dog” smell.   It was so strong that I look all over the ground around of me to see if I could find something that was responsible for making that smell.  I walked forward very carefully looking both at the ground and the woods in front of me.  If it was dead animal or dung on the ground I definitely did not want to step in it. The smell was nauseating.  When I came to the area about 30 yards behind of the tree that I previously sat under, I slowly walked up the grade to see if I could sneak up and surprise whoever was throwing the rocks.  As I walked up the grade toward the tall grass on the tree line, the horrible smell became even stronger.   I then came to an area where the grass was matted down and found a pile of rocks, some being as big as a baseball, with two or three the size of a basketball that obviously came from the stream I just walked by.  The stones were still wet.

After seeing these rocks, I was very puzzled and was beginning to become frightened.  I knew that someone was just there and I decided it was time to get the hell out of there. That’s when all hell broke loose.  

As I started to walk away there was an EXTREMELY loud growl/howl that sounded like it was right behind of me.  The sound was so loud that my eyeballs vibrated.  I ducked and spun around and pointed my shotgun in the direction of the sound.  As I spun around, about 30 feet away, in the high grass near the area I just left, I saw a very large “creature” or “person” standing near the area where I found the wet stones.  I did not know what the hell I was looking at.  Just so you know, back in 1976 I have never heard of or knew anything about “Big Foot”.   I had absolutely no frame of reference to identify what I was looking at.  The first thing I thought was “bear”, but I immediately discarded that thought - it was not a bear. Then I thought it was a gorilla – but I thought what the hell is a gorilla doing in the mountains, but as I starred at it, I realized it looked far too human to be a gorilla.  Then I thought it might be a "wild man" or a “hermit”. My mind was spinning.  I had no idea what it was.  My mind could not make any sense of what I saw.  It was extremely tall and the “hair” on its head was rounded over as a “crest”.  That is what made me first think it was a gorilla.  But everything else looked to be mostly human but far, far larger.  It was massive and very muscular.  It was covered with dark brown coarse looking hair about 6” long with less hair on the face and somewhat less hair on the chest.  The face is what looked to be more human or part human and part ape.  Its eyes were dark (did not see any whites) and the nose was wide and flat, but still looked very human. The mouth was wide and the lips were somewhat thin but they still also looked very human in appearance.  The skin on the face was dark brown with a wide jaw and chin.  The eyebrow ridge stuck out more than a human.  The head and shoulders looked like a bodybuilder's physique.  Its arms were far longer than a man’s arm. It looked to extend down to just above its knees. You could see some dark brown on the chest and for that reason my impression is that it was a male, not a female creature.   It sort of looked like the picture of a Neanderthal you see in the history books, except it had far more hair.

During that time, I was stunned and frozen in my tracks.  This thing then snarled and growled a low pitch menacing growl.  It lips pulled up when it snarled and I could see the teeth were also human in appearance, though much bigger.  The look on its face left no doubt that it was angry - and when it took two quick steps toward me, I turned and ran faster than I ever had in my entire life.  I could tell from the crashing and stomping behind of me that it was chasing me.  I did not think that my shotgun had a chance in hell of dropping that thing otherwise I would have stopped and shot.  I am not sure that the .45 I left in my truck would have stopped it.  I just kept on running for what seems like forever.  I could tell that it was getting closer but I did not want to turn and look though I did glance back a couple of times to see if it was gaining on me.  I could hear what sounded like limbs breaking. As I was running down the mountain gap (the way I come up) a limb about as big as my arm came flying by my head. I didn't slow down. I then turned from the path down the gap that I was running on to a shortcut down a very steep side of the mountain toward the road. I ran/slid –mostly slid- down the side of the mountain. I twice took a quick glimpse over my shoulder and I could see that it was behind of me and getting closer.  It appeared to be 2 or 3 steps behind of me.  I had a feeling that he could easily catch up but was maintaining a distance from me.

It was a long way down to the road, but about half way down the mountain, I could see my pickup truck parked along the road about 200 yards away.  I angled toward the truck.  When I got to the bottom, I ran to the truck and tried to open the door when I realized that my keys were in the backpack, which was torn open during my descent down the side of the mountain.  I almost panicked trying to find the keys.  I could not bring myself to look to see where the “creature” was.  I quickly found the keys, threw the pack on the road, and unlocked the truck door and glove box to get the .45.  I turned expecting to see this thing beside of the truck or reaching in to grab me.  However, this thing had stopped about 30 yards away under a tree that I just ran past toward the truck.  It was standing there with it arm holding on the branch above its head in a way a person would while resting.  It was amazing to see how big the arms were on this thing.  I still could not see anything below mid thighs since it was standing in the tall grass by the tree.  I could tell that it was easily 7’ tall or more base on the height of the limb, which was about 10-11’ about the ground.   I was thoroughly winded and breathing very hard and sucking air but it did not look like it was breathing hard at all.  It still had a very angry look on its face and the lips were still pulled back in a snarl - but it did not move past that tree.  I got the feeling it did not want to come out onto the road.  I debated taking a shot at it with the .45 but I was afraid of provoking it.  I also think it was the fact that it looked too human and I just couldn’t do it. However, if it would have come toward the truck, I would have shot it and emptied my .45– no doubt in my mind. But while it was standing still, I couldn’t shoot.  I felt safe in the truck with the .45. I sat there for a few more seconds looking at it when I took a pair of binoculars off of the seat to get a close up look at its face.  When I looked through the binoculars, it had turned its head away from me looking upward toward the slope of the mountain.  All I saw was the back of its head.   I dropped the binoculars down to see what it was looking at.  Up the mountain side, I could tell that something was coming down the side of the mountain really fast.  The bushes and trees were shaking as though something big was coming through.  The “thing” then turned and looked toward me again still snarling.  I had a feeling that another one was coming and I was not going to stay around to see.  I stepped on the gas and left as fast as I could.

Later at home, I was shaking like a leaf and it took a long time for me to calm down.  I think I was in a state of shock.  I couldn’t stop trembling. After I calmed down, I thought more about what happened.  It was evident that this thing could have “caught” me easily.  The few times I glanced back I saw that it could have easily grabbed me – but it didn’t.  I now have the feeling that it wanted to make sure that “I was leaving”.  The speed that 2nd one (the one I never saw) was coming down the mountain was incredible. It was almost like a boulder crashing down the mountainside. I now believe that it didn’t intend to harm me but it had every intention of scaring the hell out of me.  Maybe I am attributing human attributes to this thing but it looked human enough to do so.

I called my friend (that I was supposed to go hunting with) later to try to talk with him about what I saw but I couldn’t tell him everything.  I kind of glossed over some of the thing so he would not think that I was crazy.  He could tell that I was really shaken up and he kept on asking what I saw. He asked if I saw a bear, bobcat, moon-shiners – or “something else”. I replied that I was not sure what I saw.  He then chewed me out for going hunting alone.  He told me that in the past some hunters that were very familiar with the mountains have gone hunting and have never been returned.  He made me promise that I would never again go hunting without a partner.  That was an easy promise to keep.  I have NEVER gone hunting again.  I have NEVER been in the woods since then and I never will go into the woods again– not even in Ohio where I moved back to several years later.

For the rest of the time I lived in that house I was constantly on alert.  I made sure that I was with my wife and my daughter every time they went outside to either work in the garden or to play.  I kept the .45 with me at all times out of sight.  I did not want to frighten them.  

I was very happy when the condo was ready and we could move to Marion.  I never told my wife what I saw.  I did not want to frighten her. She knows something happened since I never went hunting again. She asked me several times why I quit hunting.  I just told her it was too tiring to climb the mountains.

Since moving back to Ohio, I sold my guns (except for the .45). I have no intentions of ever going into the woods again, even with a group of people.  I use to love the woods, but not anymore.  

I have not told too many about what happened that day.  I do know this – they are real and someday there will be proof.  I know I don’t need any proof.

Edited by jtheat, 23 March 2010 - 06:50 PM.

#2    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,312 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

What happened to Neo's post?

Good story. Yeah, I can almost hear the footsteps trampling over here to start in on you. Good luck!

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,917 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

Neo's post was removed because we're looking for polite, respectful replies and his was anything but that.

Jtheat welcome to the forums and thank you for posting your story for us. While some people will meet any stories of such encounters with a certain degree of skepticism i'm hopeful the responses here will remain civil and constructive nonetheless.

#4    jtheat

jtheat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

Saru,

Whatever Neo posted, it could not be any different that what I have alread heard from some.  Skepticism use to bother me but not anymore.  Thanks anyway though.

#5    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

well, i really hope youre not making this up, because im a firm believer in the apemen, world wide. youve got one heck of a story there. i almost wish you went back with a large group of people next time.
this story also shares similar elements of others who have said to have been chased Away by the creature, despite theyre more than sure it could have caught them, yet it didnt. but it was either scaring them away due to territory, or possibly playing.
great account either way.

the truth is out there....

#6    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:01 PM

Usually I'm not too big on Bigfoot topics (especially tl;dr topics), but based on the replies you've gotten so far I decided to give it a go. And I am impressed. Interesting tale you've decided to share with us today. I really don't know what to say... I mean, it's either black or white--this is a true story or it is entirely fabricated. I don't know which one I would lean more toward, though I would honestly like to believe that this is a true encounter with something unidentifiable. Either way, I did enjoy reading it, so thanks for posting.

#7    louis_last

louis_last

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

• A lie isn't a side of a story. It's just a lie.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

cool story jtheat. Examples like this are the ones that really frustrate me though because as somebody else pointed out, there is no room for doubt whatsoever, either bigfoot is real or the story is a lie.
I think it would be good if you uploaded a drawing of the creature or found one online that matches what you saw.
Can you describe the tipi in any greater detail? for example, was it held together entirely by gravity or did it have bindings? what were its dimensions? did it seem to be made up of only fresh branches or a mix of dead and living material? was it made from only one specific foliage or a variety?
Also please describe it's teeth in greater detail.

money doesn't have owners, just spenders.

#8    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

Interesting story jtheat,

I don't believe a word of it, but enjoyed reading it never the less.

Thanks for posting and welcome to UM.

Hope to see some of your thoughts on the bigfoot topics posted here.

#9    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:42 AM

View Postevancj, on 24 March 2010 - 12:36 AM, said:

Interesting story jtheat,

I don't believe a word of it, but enjoyed reading it never the less.

Thanks for posting and welcome to UM.

Hope to see some of your thoughts on the bigfoot topics posted here.

im assuming its not the OP, but your view on Ape-men/Wild-men themselves, correct?

#10    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:20 AM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 24 March 2010 - 12:42 AM, said:

im assuming its not the OP, but your view on Ape-men/Wild-men themselves, correct?

Yea it's pretty much the bigfoot thing, and that problem I have with not believing in the big guy. Nothing personal.

I'm loathed to call jtheat an out right lair, because I don't know him.

I'm reluctant to give him the benefit of the doubt, because I don't know him.

And I would never tell him he might be a troll messing with believers minds just to see there responses, because I don't know him.

I'm just saying I don't know this guy (he could be my grandmother for all I know). I thought it was a good story. Kinda like the three little pigs is a good story, but I don't believe it.

#11    HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:18 AM

I commend you for having the guts to come out and share this story, especially on UM where you are more likely than anywhere else to be torn apart about an experience like this.  :D

What excites me most about your account is that you had no idea about the big ape-man prior to seeing him, and you reacted like anyone would. First confused, baffled, then extreme fear set in, but I'm really surprised you didn't start shooting. I guess the inexperience of being a hunter is what maybe caused that on top of your fear that it would aggravate the creature to harm you. It's also strange how it's territorial behavior was exhibited by throwing rocks, growling, and bearing it's teeth, much fitting of typical eyewitness descriptions of Bigfoot and his actions.  I support you, sir. As much as science and logic can go against the existence of this animal, I believe you saw him.

#12    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:49 AM

View Postevancj, on 24 March 2010 - 01:20 AM, said:

Yea it's pretty much the bigfoot thing, and that problem I have with not believing in the big guy. Nothing personal.

I'm loathed to call jtheat an out right lair, because I don't know him.

I'm reluctant to give him the benefit of the doubt, because I don't know him.

And I would never tell him he might be a troll messing with believers minds just to see there responses, because I don't know him.

I'm just saying I don't know this guy (he could be my grandmother for all I know). I thought it was a good story. Kinda like the three little pigs is a good story, but I don't believe it.

i know, i always try not to get my hopes up on anything of these accounts (ET, crypto, ancient mysteries etc).

#13    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,143 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:17 AM

I"ll have to repost and rephrase so as not to hurt anyone's feelings. I believe the OP is lying. I would say that he was merely mistaken, but the level of detail indicates a lie. Or a lifetime spent recreating a false memory with each retelling.

Also, as an aside, I doubt that there was anyone living in america  in 1976 who never heard of bigfoot.

#14    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:28 AM

View PostNeognosis, on 24 March 2010 - 03:17 AM, said:

I"ll have to repost and rephrase so as not to hurt anyone's feelings. I believe the OP is lying. I would say that he was merely mistaken, but the level of detail indicates a lie. Or a lifetime spent recreating a false memory with each retelling.

Also, as an aside, I doubt that there was anyone living in america  in 1976 who never heard of bigfoot.

goddamn. lots of people gone to jail from detailed testimonies.
neo, you should go inform the judicial system that theyre flawed, as you have definitive proof of it.
but, we knew your disbelief was coming. and is obviously accepted. everyone has an opinion, no one is greater or less than another.
i still found their account/story interesting.

Edited by Agent. Mulder, 24 March 2010 - 03:29 AM.

#15    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:33 AM

I have to go with Mulder on this one. I transcribe a lot of testimonies, and some of them are QUITE detailed--more often than not, those who give the most information are being honest. I tend to notice the exact opposite when someone is lying in their testimony, they say little to nothing at all. They don't want to say something that could convict them or otherwise be disproved.

Sometimes you do get good liars who can come up with a nice, detailed story off the top of their head, but to create a convincing story that adds up in the end is very difficult.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users