Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

my bigfoot experience

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#46    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 24 March 2010 - 07:04 PM, said:

That's the thing, you never know what you're going to encounter. I rarely go into the woods without my sidearm.

Well, unless you expect to run into something that really shouldn't be there, what's the point? At the time there wasn't supposed to be any dangerous game in the area, and given he's already got a 12 gauge, if he were to run into a person threatening him all he'd have to do is flash the double barrel and say, "Leave me the hells alone or I'm gonna shootchya." I can't say that I'd have thought about bringing a side arm, myself.

#47    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,553 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

View Postebonycrow, on 24 March 2010 - 07:12 PM, said:

Well, unless you expect to run into something that really shouldn't be there, what's the point?

Bad things happen when you least expect it. The point is protection.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#48    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 24 March 2010 - 07:16 PM, said:

Isn't that the way life is, though? You go unprepared, bad things happen. You take the necessary precautions, and everything is completely uneventful.

#49    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

View PostDrunkenparrot, on 24 March 2010 - 06:54 PM, said:

Where I live ( Pacific Northwest) both hunters and hikers frequently carry high caliber side arms for protection. The situation the OP describes, albeit fantastical, is exactly the reason somebody carries a sidearm in addition to their hunting weapon. Substitute cougar, PO'd bear or moonshiners and meth cooks for sasquatch and you get the idea.

Honestly, what are the odds that somebody new to an area drives a few miles, hikes for an hour and stumbles upon the situation described?

If Sasquatch is building tepees and exhibiting territorially defensive behavior he would have been stuffed, mounted and on display at the Smithsonian by now. (and before anybody starts, no, I am not condoning the murdering sasquatch.)

well, just as likely as a person whos been living in that area for 10 years, and just decides to go hunting that day.
its just chance i guess.

View PostSweetpumper, on 24 March 2010 - 07:16 PM, said:

i very much agree. if i was going into that area, knowing bears are around, id bring at least some form of protection (most likely a gun).

Edited by Agent. Mulder, 24 March 2010 - 07:20 PM.

the truth is out there....

#50    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:26 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 24 March 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

i very much agree. if i was going into that area, knowing bears are around, id bring at least some form of protection (most likely a gun).

But like I said, I don't think that there were bear in the area at that time. At least where I live (which is about a three hour drive from Chilhowie), black bears were only recently reintroduced. I can't find any information about black bears in Virginia around this time frame though.

#51    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,553 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

View Postebonycrow, on 24 March 2010 - 07:17 PM, said:

Isn't that the way life is, though? You go unprepared, bad things happen. You take the necessary precautions, and everything is completely uneventful.

Ummm...exactly.  :)

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#52    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 24 March 2010 - 07:27 PM, said:

Ummm...exactly.  :)

All the more reason to go unprepared then!

#53    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,553 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

View Postebonycrow, on 24 March 2010 - 07:29 PM, said:

All the more reason to go unprepared then!

Yep, a tank top and flip flops is all I need when I wander into the woods!

#54    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

View Postebonycrow, on 24 March 2010 - 07:26 PM, said:

But like I said, I don't think that there were bear in the area at that time. At least where I live (which is about a three hour drive from Chilhowie), black bears were only recently reintroduced. I can't find any information about black bears in Virginia around this time frame though.

interesting. so, none about 30 years ago? im just curious. i was trying to find other links, than the one i already gave, but it didnt give time frames for the bears.

*edit* i did find this though:
http://www.dgif.virg...agriculture.asp
"Agriculture is an important component of the economy of Virginia. Many factors affect agricultural production: weather, markets, soils, insects and disease. Although many farmers readily accept some agricultural losses, wildlife damage to crops or livestock can reach levels that farmers are unable to accept. The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) has documented agricultural damage by bears for over 60 years. Since 1980, agricultural damage by bears has increased substantially, and over the past decade, agricultural bear complaints requiring VDGIF response have increased 44%."

Edited by Agent. Mulder, 24 March 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#55    Drunkenparrot

Drunkenparrot

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

• Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.-Major T. J. Kong

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 24 March 2010 - 06:29 PM, said:

well, since the story seems mainly about them, there friend could have brought another pair.
as for the 12 guage, well i might too based on the wild life- Hunting: deer, bear, turkey, grouse, gray and fox squirrel, rabbit, and wood duck

http://www.virginia....sp?attrID=10610

Grouse or wood duck I'll give you. Turkey, squirrel and rabbit are hunted with .22 ( at least in my experience). As far as Deer or Bear? 12 gauge slugs right? Good luck. If deer or bear was his quarry he would have brought his sidearm. Not all kills are clean and a point blank rifle or 12 gauge slug makes too much of a mess. Someone trying for larger game just wouldn't be back there by themselves. Ever try to carry a deer out by yourself? If there isn't a road within 100 yards your going to need help.

Maybe the guy had absolutely no woodcraft, but I'm guessing the author doesn't hunt and is writing about something with which he has no experience. The 5 rounds chambered in the shotgun is a red flag as well. Shotguns sold in the U.S. have a plug in the magazine which limits their capacity to 2+1 in the chamber. You can remove the plug but if the game warden catches you where I live your going to lose your gun and pay a large ( 4 digit) fine. Perhaps the Game laws are different in Virginia?

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee..." - John Donne (1624)

#56    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 24 March 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:

Yep, a tank top and flip flops is all I need when I wander into the woods!

There you go! Sounds like a good day to me. There'll be Bigfoot and mosquito abound.

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 24 March 2010 - 07:31 PM, said:

interesting. so, none about 30 years ago? im just curious. i was trying to find other links, than the one i already gave, but it didnt give time frames for the bears.

That I'm aware of... I can't find a time frame for bear activity either, which may indicate that they were never removed from the area. But around here, anyway, there haven't been black bear for yeeaarrss--and I'm not all that far away, so I was only making an assumption.

#57    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

View PostDrunkenparrot, on 24 March 2010 - 07:34 PM, said:

Grouse or wood duck I'll give you. Turkey, squirrel and rabbit are hunted with .22 ( at least in my experience). As far as Deer or Bear? 12 gauge slugs right? Good luck. If deer or bear was his quarry he would have brought his sidearm. Not all kills are clean and a point blank rifle or 12 gauge slug makes too much of a mess. Someone trying for larger game just wouldn't be back there by themselves. Ever try to carry a deer out by yourself? If there isn't a road within 100 yards your going to need help.

Well, that's what I found too, on several different sites. 12 gauge can be used for anything under 300lbs. I can't imagine that he was going for anything other than fowl though, because he was going for quite a hike on his lonesome. Though he didn't indicate, so I guess we'll have to wait until he shows back up to answer any lingering questions we have.

Can't say anything about guns or gun laws, I'll leave that up to the OP.

#58    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

View PostDrunkenparrot, on 24 March 2010 - 07:34 PM, said:

Maybe the guy had absolutely no woodcraft, but I'm guessing the author doesn't hunt and is writing about something with which he has no experience. The 5 rounds chambered in the shotgun is a red flag as well. Shotguns sold in the U.S. have a plug in the magazine which limits their capacity to 2+1 in the chamber. You can remove the plug but if the game warden catches you where I live your going to lose your gun and pay a large ( 4 digit) fine. Perhaps the Game laws are different in Virginia?

many hunters go hunting by themselves, it just depends on what youre hunting for. and, if they prefer the 12 guage, thats there call and no one elses. its all about preference. arguing what gun they used does nothing for the credibility of the story (unless they said they brought a bazooka)

#59    louis_last

louis_last

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

• A lie isn't a side of a story. It's just a lie.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 24 March 2010 - 03:17 AM, said:

I"ll have to repost and rephrase so as not to hurt anyone's feelings.
OR you could always just.......you know......shut up?
It's pretty much a given that you're going to be the first person posting in any Sasquatch thread, and it's usually pretty standard, why don't you just change your signature to 'I don't believe in bigfoot because I'm smarter than everybody else' and save yourself the hassle of relentlessly hunting Sasquatch believers to debunk on the Internet. You could even do something totally radical like get a life.

money doesn't have owners, just spenders.

#60    Drunkenparrot

Drunkenparrot

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

• Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.-Major T. J. Kong

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 24 March 2010 - 07:44 PM, said:

many hunters go hunting by themselves, it just depends on what youre hunting for. and, if they prefer the 12 guage, thats there call and no one elses. its all about preference. arguing what gun they used does nothing for the credibility of the story (unless they said they brought a bazooka)

Fair enough.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee..." - John Donne (1624)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users