Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fury as U.S. boy, 11, is to be tried as adult

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#211    Blackwhite

Blackwhite

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

• I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

There's nothing wrong with this.

In England & Wales the age of criminal responsibilty is 10.  So if you commit a crime at the age of 10 you are tried like an adult.  This is what happened to Jon Venables and Robert Thompson in 1993 when, at the age of just 10, they brutally murdered two-year-old James Bulger in Liverpool.

In Scotland the age of criminal responsibilty is 8.

However, in Pennsylvania there is no minimum age of criminal responsibility.

Edited by Blackwhite, 16 November 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#212    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,852 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

It took almost 3 years from the time of the crime for this boy's trial to come up and I pretty much forgot about it until I came across this today. He was found guilty of 1st degree murder on Friday April 13, but he was tried in juvenile court. I guess he will be released when he is 21 years old. Not so sure I'm in agreement with this. I didn't want a death penalty but the article says the boy and his father are still in denial over his guilt. Don't see how that will change now, even with a conviction.
http://news.yahoo.co...-204920885.html

Edited by susieice, 15 April 2012 - 12:31 AM.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#213    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,426 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

glad he was found guilty - hopefully (in a perfect world) he would never be released...

#214    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

It was obviously planned and premeditated.He will do it again if hes released.Hes a sociopath.

Miss me?

#215    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,130 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, we'll be hearing about him again someday. He's not just a sociopath, but a psychopathic double-murderer. Good luck to those who run into him when he's all grown up.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#216    H.H. Holmes

H.H. Holmes

Rebel Without A Cause

• 1,672 posts

• I'm going platinum...

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

View Postsusieice, on 15 April 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

It took almost 3 years from the time of the crime for this boy's trial to come up and I pretty much forgot about it until I came across this today. He was found guilty of 1st degree murder on Friday April 13, but he was tried in juvenile court. I guess he will be released when he is 21 years old. Not so sure I'm in agreement with this. I didn't want a death penalty but the article says the boy and his father are still in denial over his guilt. Don't see how that will change now, even with a conviction.
http://news.yahoo.co...-204920885.html

Susieice, I agree that he should get a much longer sentence and chance at rehabilitation than just the few years he will be in juvenile. He is a classic sociopath in my opinion, he killed in cold blood and tried to deceive law enforcement with his lies. I also don't agree that a death penalty or even a life sentence would be appropriate for this child, but he needs long, extremely intensive psychological treatment. If they kept him for 15-25 years with signs of continuous progress with his psychological problems, them maybe he should be released under a very strict parole. However, you and I both know that a sociopath/psychopath cannot be rehabilitated, especially after the link between violence and pleasure has been cemented in the brain. I will say that I am not a psychologist of any sort, so maybe he isn't a classic sociopath, but he needs some serious help with his mental issues. I just don't see how a few years in juvie is going to acheive any kind of success in turning this boys behavior around for the long-term.

Edited by H.H. Holmes, 17 April 2012 - 01:19 AM.

Knowledge Speaks, Wisdom Listens- Jimi Hendrix
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it.-Friedrich Nietzsche
The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.-Lucius Annaeus Seneca
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.-Mohandas Gandhi

#217    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,852 posts

.....Robert Frost

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

I agree HHH. I thought part of the sentencing was to balance on whether or not the boy admitted his guilt. Juvenile court must have changed all that. No chance of rehabilitating someone who won't take responsibility for what he did. He'll just deny everything. Wish this had stayed in adult court. Released from juvie probably won't even get him a period of probation much less parole. He could fool us, but I'd be watching him real close if I lived around him.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#218    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. He loaded the shotgun. Planned the murder. He knew what his was doing.

#219    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,852 posts

.....Robert Frost

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

View Postwolfknight, on 17 April 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

Hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. He loaded the shotgun. Planned the murder. He knew what his was doing.
That won't happen. He was tried in juvenile court and will be released when he is 21. Unless he does something else in the meantime.

#220    Flight

Flight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

I don't understand how anyone can think he's not guilty or didn't do it

#221    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

what the fudgesicles. the death penalty is wrong on so many levels. i just find it sad how here in england a man gets 5 years for RAPE. rape which traumatises the victim.its awful. the kid killed someone and their baby. he needs to go away for ages. he knows that shooting people is wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users