Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

the man with no face

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    xXstarzgirlXx

xXstarzgirlXx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

• see to believe

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

this story is from urban leagends website. i found it and thought it was kewl to share it with u guys!

One of the most famous intravenous drugs for generating stories about bizarre behavior was phencyclidine: "angel dust," or "PCP." Although little is heard anymore about angel dust, it was well known for its ability to both addle and confer superhuman powers upon its abusers, or so the stories went. Tales of "some guy who was dusted" going berserk and beating up six cops before fifteen more managed to subdue him abounded. In my work in the [New York General Hospital], I witnessed some exceedingly strange dust-induced behavior, including one patient whoíd done the most bizarre thing to himself Iíd ever seen or heard of in my life.

This man smoked dust one day and surprised his friends by politely excusing himself to the bathroom, bringing along his two Doberman pinschers. In the bathroom he opened the medicine cabinet, removed a straightedge razor, cut off his own facial features one by one, and fed them to his dogs. He emerged from the bathroom with no ears, nose, eyelids, lips, or cheeks, and two happy-looking dogs.

His friends, now fairly distraught, brought him to the NYG emergency room, where the plastic and head and neck surgeons pissed in their pants with excitement. They took him straight to the operating room. Jokes emerged immediately. The man lost face, the surgeons tried to save face, etc., etc.

In order to create a new face for this unfortunate patient, the surgeons did a "pectoral flap," a fascinating procedure in which the pectoral (chest) muscle is removed and reimplanted at another site on a patientís body. The surgeonís donít remove the muscle completely, but leave intact his main artery and vein. The muscle is then "flapped" to the spot where itís needed, presumably a hole that is too deep to be filled by mere skin grafting, and sewn in place. Eventually, it grows a new blood supply at the transplant site and the surgeons remove the original artery and vein. The man with no face had two pectoral flaps done, one from each side of his chest to each side of his face. Once the muscles were well established in their new locations the surgeons took him back to the OR about two hundred times to cut and shape and revise the graft to create a new face for him.

I know the story of the man with no face is true because I saw him walking down the hall a few weeks after he was admitted. He was wearing a surgical hood turned back in front, with two holes cut out for his eyes, like the "elephant man."

StarZgirl

#2    Hadal

Hadal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

• "Don't worry about a thing, 'cos every little thing is gonna be alright. " ~ Bob Marley

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:38 AM

I remember reading this before, though not on the urban legends website, it's quite an old story. Poor bloke if it's true but I doubt it.

#3    Barnacle Battlefront

Barnacle Battlefront

Death Before Decaf

• 5,468 posts

• There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A symptom of the universe

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

Sounds like that part in Hannibal :P

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy as hell.- Maca02

#4    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Alien Abducter

• 4,616 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:17 AM

At least he didn't die last night

#5    kazeol56

kazeol56

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

Heard that before. There's a picture floating around of the guy's cut-up face with a caption describing what happened (presumably from a forensic/medical textbook). Dunno if they really managed to patch him up though.

#6    Grimmace

Grimmace

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

• Laughter is what holds the soul together.

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

View PostWhisk and Plunger, on 02 April 2010 - 02:00 AM, said:

Sounds like that part in Hannibal :P

Doesn't just 'sound like,' that *is* a flashback scene in Hannibal. Now whether it is based on fact or not, I cannot say, but Gary Oldman rasps out at the end of his self-mutilation, "That's Entertainment!"

You're not crazy, little buddy. You've just gone sane in a crazy world.

#7    Ashley-Star*Child

Ashley-Star*Child

Alien Abducter

• 5,015 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

That's really horrible. Geez, what drugs can do...

Posted Image

#8    Belial

Belial

Love me grub i do.

• 4,430 posts

• We all want to go to heaven, but no one wants to die to get their.

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

Drugs are not nice  :angry2:

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

#9    TRthedude

TRthedude

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:08 AM

These are just my opinions on this story. Please, no one has to agree or disagree with me. I can't prove if the story is true, but then, I guess, neither can anyone else, short of getting actual files of the event, files that can be proved in a court of law, or by a science expert.

snopes.com also has the bulk of this story, the story with the docs "pissing their pants in excitement" over the man's medical problems, etc.

For right now, I'm going to treat the story as a fictional story.
Looking at it as fiction, there's a big hole in this story: How did the man's friends 1) find out the man cut pieces of his face and 2) how did the friends find out the pieces were in the dogs? The problems with 1) + 2) are- I don't think he could use his voice to tell them what happened, or write with a pen and tell them what happened.
Such as: How could he write them a note + tell what happened? He had the dexterity, while on PCP, to use a razor + cut stuff off, but I think he was too stoned to write anything. Using your arm + hand to write a sentence is a lot harder than slashing a peach, or a face, with a Sweeney Todd-type straight razor, I think. I don't think he'd have the complicated finger control, that most of us use to write, to write a message on a piece of paper. If he's so stoned he can't feel his own cheek being cut off...hm, you can't feel your cheek at all, so how can you feel [your hand] at all + write with it? I don't think that the human body works like that.

Not related, but he could have chosen the toilet, and not his dogs, to flush pieces of flesh away. Why would people assume that the dogs ate the parts? He could have just cut stuff off, then flush the parts down the toilet.

Could he exit the bathroom + talk, telling people what happened? That's a big part of the plot hole in the story. So, he exits the bathroom...how does he talk to people, + tell them what happened, [without his cheeks + lips on his face]?
Please do this little number, (and please don't injure or bite yourself doing it):stick your index finders + middle fingers, of both hands, inside your cheeks. Now pull your cheeks away from your teeth. Now try to talk, with your cheeks held out like that, and don't move your lips, while you talk. This lips + cheeks trick will mimic someone, who has no lips or teeth, who is trying to talk to you. I doesn't work when I do it. Try this lips + teeth trick, with your fingers, and read the "man with no face story", aloud. You'll probably be impossible to understand.

So, no, since the story doesn't say how the man told his friends what he did, + the story doesn't doesn't tell us how his friends, or anyone else, found out what he did, I choose not to believe this story.
Yes, he could have cut up himself, then walked out of the bathroom, but then how did anyone, in the story, find out what he did with the parts, like feeding the parts to the dogs?
This sounds like the "gross out" stories that me + my friends would pass around, when we were 12.

Or like the [really hard to believe stories], that people stop believing, when they are nine. These are stories like: "never put an orange seed in your ear! If you do, the seed will grow, and an ORANGE TREE will come out of your EAR!"

By the way, yes, don't put orange seeds in your ear. You won't get a tree, but that's unsafe to do with orange seeds.
So, because I see no way that the man could tell people about feeding stuff to his dogs, I choose to think that it's fake.
Once again, these are just my opinions of the story. Please, no one has to agree or disagree with them.
Cheers, TRthedude

#10    greywolf

greywolf

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:21 AM

View PostAshley-Star*Child, on 04 April 2010 - 10:22 AM, said:

That's really horrible. Geez, what drugs can do...
I Agree.  :cat:

#11    Ruby04

Ruby04

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

• "You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - Christopher Columbus.

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:34 AM

It is possible to not be able to feel your face. Such as when you go to the dentist also someone I personally know who used to smoke Cannabis went to the doctors panicing because she couldn't feel her face because she smoked some that was super strong. She ended up being fine.

In life you have to go after what you want, not sit around and wait for things to come to you.

#12    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

There's actually a guy with no face, because his face got burnt of by fire. There's a video of him on youtube.

#13    Dis Pater

Dis Pater

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostTRthedude, on 19 June 2011 - 05:08 AM, said:

These are just my opinions on this story. Please, no one has to agree or disagree with me. I can't prove if the story is true, but then, I guess, neither can anyone else, short of getting actual files of the event, files that can be proved in a court of law, or by a science expert.

snopes.com also has the bulk of this story, the story with the docs "pissing their pants in excitement" over the man's medical problems, etc.

For right now, I'm going to treat the story as a fictional story.
Looking at it as fiction, there's a big hole in this story: How did the man's friends 1) find out the man cut pieces of his face and 2) how did the friends find out the pieces were in the dogs? The problems with 1) + 2) are- I don't think he could use his voice to tell them what happened, or write with a pen and tell them what happened.
Such as: How could he write them a note + tell what happened? He had the dexterity, while on PCP, to use a razor + cut stuff off, but I think he was too stoned to write anything. Using your arm + hand to write a sentence is a lot harder than slashing a peach, or a face, with a Sweeney Todd-type straight razor, I think. I don't think he'd have the complicated finger control, that most of us use to write, to write a message on a piece of paper. If he's so stoned he can't feel his own cheek being cut off...hm, you can't feel your cheek at all, so how can you feel [your hand] at all + write with it? I don't think that the human body works like that.

Not related, but he could have chosen the toilet, and not his dogs, to flush pieces of flesh away. Why would people assume that the dogs ate the parts? He could have just cut stuff off, then flush the parts down the toilet.

Could he exit the bathroom + talk, telling people what happened? That's a big part of the plot hole in the story. So, he exits the bathroom...how does he talk to people, + tell them what happened, [without his cheeks + lips on his face]?
Please do this little number, (and please don't injure or bite yourself doing it):stick your index finders + middle fingers, of both hands, inside your cheeks. Now pull your cheeks away from your teeth. Now try to talk, with your cheeks held out like that, and don't move your lips, while you talk. This lips + cheeks trick will mimic someone, who has no lips or teeth, who is trying to talk to you. I doesn't work when I do it. Try this lips + teeth trick, with your fingers, and read the "man with no face story", aloud. You'll probably be impossible to understand.

So, no, since the story doesn't say how the man told his friends what he did, + the story doesn't doesn't tell us how his friends, or anyone else, found out what he did, I choose not to believe this story.
Yes, he could have cut up himself, then walked out of the bathroom, but then how did anyone, in the story, find out what he did with the parts, like feeding the parts to the dogs?
This sounds like the "gross out" stories that me + my friends would pass around, when we were 12.

Or like the [really hard to believe stories], that people stop believing, when they are nine. These are stories like: "never put an orange seed in your ear! If you do, the seed will grow, and an ORANGE TREE will come out of your EAR!"

By the way, yes, don't put orange seeds in your ear. You won't get a tree, but that's unsafe to do with orange seeds.
So, because I see no way that the man could tell people about feeding stuff to his dogs, I choose to think that it's fake.
Once again, these are just my opinions of the story. Please, no one has to agree or disagree with them.
Cheers, TRthedude
The only part you may have right is in him feeding it to his dogs....if you search hard enough(pretty easy actually) you will find pictures and testimony of him after he did it and also pictures of him when he went into ER...will warn people that they are not pretty so only look if you are not squeamish

#14    nyuk

nyuk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

Oh god,
If this is true, its horrific to think about.
People do awful things when using drugs. I guess at least he only did damage to himself (if its true)

When i was about 15, one of my  friends lived across road from me.
After school one night we were watching tv  while his mum was cooking tea.
A copper knocked on the door and asked to speak to his mum. I noticed a police woman came in too.
My friends brother had simply walked off the top of a multi storey car park after dropping acid (lsd)
I left soon as i could.
He was 20 yrs old :(
Bad news

#15    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

PCP is some crazy stuff.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users