Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Decoding The Final predictions of Nostradamus


  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:18 AM

On the source-webpage (bottom of the copy-pasted section) is a link to History Channel program, one hour and 30 minutes in length, regarding the following.


Decoding The Final predictions of Nostradamus: Doomsday 2012
Nostradamus 2012 , will mark in the history of Earth suggest forces like Armageddon



History Channel The world is coming to an end on December 21, 2012! The ancient Maya made this stunning prediction more than 2,000 years ago .The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of eschatological beliefs that cataclysmic or transformative events will occur on December 21 or December 23, 2012, which is said to be the end-date of a 5,125-year-long cycle in the Mayan Long Count calendar.

Various astronomical alignments and numerological formulae related to this date have been proposed, but none have been accepted by mainstream scholarship. We'll peel back the layers of mystery and examine in detail how the Maya calculated the exact date of doomsday.

Journey back to the ancient city of Chichen Itza, the hub of Maya civilization deep in the heart of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, to uncover the truth about this prophecy.. In The Prophecies Nostradamus have compiled his collection of major, long-term predictions. The first installment was published in 1555. The second, with 289 further prophetic verses, was printed in 1557. The third edition, with three hundred new quatrains, was reportedly printed in 1558, but now only survives as part of the omnibus edition that was published after his death in 1568. This version contains one unrhymed and 941 rhymed quatrains, grouped into nine sets of 100 and one of 42, called "Centuries".

Given printing practices at the time (which included type-setting from dictation), no two editions turned out to be identical, and it is relatively rare to find even two copies that are exactly the same. Certainly there is no warrant for assuming – as would-be "code-breakers" are prone to do – that either the spellings or the punctuation of any edition are Nostradamus' originals.

The Maya were legendary astronomers and timekeepers--their calendar is more accurate than our own. By tracking the stars and planets they assigned great meaning to astronomical phenomena and made extraordinary predictions based on them--many of which have come true. Could their doomsday prophecy be one of them? In insightful interviews archaeologists, astrologers, and historians speculate on the meaning of the 2012 prophecy. Their answers are as intriguing as the questions.
Source


#2    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

    Coffee expert extraordinair

  • Member
  • 3,845 posts
  • Joined:16 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

View PostKarlis, on 01 April 2010 - 07:18 AM, said:

On the source-webpage (bottom of the copy-pasted section) is a link to History Channel program, one hour and 30 minutes in length, regarding the following.


Decoding The Final predictions of Nostradamus: Doomsday 2012
Nostradamus 2012 , will mark in the history of Earth suggest forces like Armageddon



History Channel The world is coming to an end on December 21, 2012! The ancient Maya made this stunning prediction more than 2,000 years ago .The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of eschatological beliefs that cataclysmic or transformative events will occur on December 21 or December 23, 2012, which is said to be the end-date of a 5,125-year-long cycle in the Mayan Long Count calendar.

Various astronomical alignments and numerological formulae related to this date have been proposed, but none have been accepted by mainstream scholarship. We'll peel back the layers of mystery and examine in detail how the Maya calculated the exact date of doomsday.

Journey back to the ancient city of Chichen Itza, the hub of Maya civilization deep in the heart of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, to uncover the truth about this prophecy.. In The Prophecies Nostradamus have compiled his collection of major, long-term predictions. The first installment was published in 1555. The second, with 289 further prophetic verses, was printed in 1557. The third edition, with three hundred new quatrains, was reportedly printed in 1558, but now only survives as part of the omnibus edition that was published after his death in 1568. This version contains one unrhymed and 941 rhymed quatrains, grouped into nine sets of 100 and one of 42, called "Centuries".

Given printing practices at the time (which included type-setting from dictation), no two editions turned out to be identical, and it is relatively rare to find even two copies that are exactly the same. Certainly there is no warrant for assuming – as would-be "code-breakers" are prone to do – that either the spellings or the punctuation of any edition are Nostradamus' originals.

Nostradamus does not mention December 21, 2012 directly. His quatrains are subjected to various justifications and interpretations post hoc in order to make the so-called predictions fit the actual events. Since the quatrains were written in Middle French, and because the original meanings were obscured by his word games, the modern English translations are so vague and replete with metaphor and allusion that you can conclude pretty much anything you want.

Little tid bit of fact : Nostradamus's quatrains reach out to ~3790 AD. So either the world does end in 2012 and Nostradamus' subsequent predictions are wrong, or Nostradamus' predictions after 2012 are correct, and the prediction about 2012 is wrong.

Like I often say, you can't have it both ways.

View PostKarlis, on 01 April 2010 - 07:18 AM, said:

The Maya were legendary astronomers and timekeepers--their calendar is more accurate than our own. By tracking the stars and planets they assigned great meaning to astronomical phenomena and made extraordinary predictions based on them--many of which have come true. Could their doomsday prophecy be one of them? In insightful interviews archaeologists, astrologers, and historians speculate on the meaning of the 2012 prophecy. Their answers are as intriguing as the questions.
Source

Contrary to popular understanding, the ancient Meso-Americans, be they Aztec or Maya or any other group, left no oral or written “prophecy” record about what would or could happen on or about the year 2012 other than a great age of 5125 years would end and another commence.

First of all : We know that this calendar is still being used by some cultures in the highlands of Guatemala! There are no reports of preparations for doomsday.

Secondly : The B’ak’tun date 13.0.0.0.0 is not the “end of the calendar” we’ve heard so much about. It is the end of a cycle of 144,000 days, or 394 solar years. It may or may not also be the end of a higher-order cycle. If one piktun is 13 baktuns, then the 2012 solstice is also the end of a cycle of 5125 years. If one piktun is 20 baktuns (as most scholars think) then the current cycle does not end in 2012. The calendar is mostly base-20, except in the second position, which clicks over to zero when it reaches 18.

Thirdly : Some Mayan inscriptions reference dates after 2012, since the Mayan Calendar also has four rarely used higher order cycles!

And last but not least, since when does a television program cares about anything else than ratings? If you think that a tv show constitutes a valid source of information, then you're quite mistaken.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#3    Jeff Marzano

Jeff Marzano

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined:27 Feb 2010

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:20 AM

Nostradamus predicted the moon landings which I don't believe ever happened.

So that throws a monkey wrench into his predictions for me.

Jeff Marzano

#4    digitalartist

digitalartist

    Psychic Spy

  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined:21 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York State

  • I'm Done

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

View PostTheSearcher, on 01 April 2010 - 11:48 AM, said:


Thirdly : Some Mayan inscriptions reference dates after 2012, since the Mayan Calendar also has four rarely used higher order cycles!


Let's not forget the dutch researchers who have determined that the long count calendar actually ends in 220 and not 2012.


#5    Alien Being

Alien Being

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

View PostKarlis, on 01 April 2010 - 07:18 AM, said:

On the source-webpage (bottom of the copy-pasted section) is a link to History Channel program, one hour and 30 minutes in length, regarding the following.

Decoding The Final predictions of Nostradamus: Doomsday 2012
Nostradamus 2012 , will mark in the history of Earth suggest forces like Armageddon


History Channel The world is coming to an end on December 21, 2012! The ancient Maya made this stunning prediction more than 2,000 years ago .The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of eschatological beliefs that cataclysmic or transformative events will occur on December 21 or December 23, 2012, which is said to be the end-date of a 5,125-year-long cycle in the Mayan Long Count calendar.

Various astronomical alignments and numerological formulae related to this date have been proposed, but none have been accepted by mainstream scholarship. We'll peel back the layers of mystery and examine in detail how the Maya calculated the exact date of doomsday.

Journey back to the ancient city of Chichen Itza, the hub of Maya civilization deep in the heart of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, to uncover the truth about this prophecy.. In The Prophecies Nostradamus have compiled his collection of major, long-term predictions. The first installment was published in 1555. The second, with 289 further prophetic verses, was printed in 1557. The third edition, with three hundred new quatrains, was reportedly printed in 1558, but now only survives as part of the omnibus edition that was published after his death in 1568. This version contains one unrhymed and 941 rhymed quatrains, grouped into nine sets of 100 and one of 42, called "Centuries".

Given printing practices at the time (which included type-setting from dictation), no two editions turned out to be identical, and it is relatively rare to find even two copies that are exactly the same. Certainly there is no warrant for assuming – as would-be "code-breakers" are prone to do – that either the spellings or the punctuation of any edition are Nostradamus' originals.

The Maya were legendary astronomers and timekeepers--their calendar is more accurate than our own. By tracking the stars and planets they assigned great meaning to astronomical phenomena and made extraordinary predictions based on them--many of which have come true. Could their doomsday prophecy be one of them? In insightful interviews archaeologists, astrologers, and historians speculate on the meaning of the 2012 prophecy. Their answers are as intriguing as the questions.
Source

I think you've been had. Nostradamus predicts WW3, WW4 and the end of the World in the 3600's.

Nostradamus did not predict Hitler or many of the other claims. His verses were written in Old French not modern French so the modern meaning of many words is wrong when translated.


#6    Antimony

Antimony

    Her Most Delicious Purpleness

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
  • Joined:11 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Catatonia

  • It's a Pony!

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

View PostJeff Marzano, on 02 April 2010 - 02:20 AM, said:

Nostradamus predicted the moon landings which I don't believe ever happened.

So that throws a monkey wrench into his predictions for me.

  :D  :lol:  :D
That's one of the funniest statements I've ever read! Oh, sweet irony...You couldn't invent it if you tried!

Posted Image
Claudine went to the Ladies to power her nose.

#7    Antimony

Antimony

    Her Most Delicious Purpleness

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
  • Joined:11 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Catatonia

  • It's a Pony!

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

So as not to be accused of trolling:

I've read most of his quatrains, in original (with additional help in English). I've poured over them, pondered,got more than one headache in the process, and I can tell you that much with confidence:

Anyone who claims to be able to correctly decipher his predicitions is either bragging or delusional.

First off, unless you are simultaneously 1. a historical expert of French & European history from Nostradamus's time onwards 2. An expert historical linguist (including French, Occitane, Latin & Italian) 3. an expert in French/Italian/European literature & culture of that time, you don't even have to bother.

And even then, most of his quatrains are just too obscure to be useful.

What I could gather is that most quatrains deal with the fate of France & the Church. Nostradamus was a stout nationalist & Catholic. His worries lay with the future of his beloved country. Most predictitons deal with local happenings, e.g. within France, neighbouring countries & Europe.

It's a common mistake to think that he made predictions about the whole planet. That is just not true. He sais so himself in his letter to his good king Henry. He demarcates exactly the geographical area of his predictions. Strictly Europe (of his time) only. There's one possible exception where he might mention the US, something about an eagle?..it's been a while...

Nostradamus' world was much smaller than ours. And I also think that most of his predictions were not too far off in the future from his point of view.

He does talk an awful lot about horrible pests, famines, destruction, fire and brimstone...But dating them as WWIII, IV or V is taking awful liberties.

Maybe he suffered from indigestion??

Edited by Antimony, 02 April 2010 - 08:49 PM.

Posted Image
Claudine went to the Ladies to power her nose.

#8    Leonardo

Leonardo

    Awake

  • Member
  • 15,595 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:14 AM

View PostAntimony, on 02 April 2010 - 08:46 PM, said:

He does talk an awful lot about horrible pests, famines, destruction, fire and brimstone...But dating them as WWIII, IV or V is taking awful liberties.

Maybe he suffered from indigestion??

Nostradamus used as his source, mainly biblical prophecies. This explains why his prophecies tend to the cataclysmic in nature.

Nostradamus believed in Judicial Astrology - that the cyclical positions of the stars/planets effected a cyclical efflux of events. So, he worked from the biblical prophecies to 'predict' similar events when planetary/stellar alignments would match with the assumed date of said biblical prophecy.

He also used other classical sources, but the bible was by far his primary source.

Edited by Leonardo, 03 April 2010 - 07:16 AM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#9    Antimony

Antimony

    Her Most Delicious Purpleness

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
  • Joined:11 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Catatonia

  • It's a Pony!

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

Yes, that's correct. I personally do believe however, that he did see things when he was in his trance. But as to what exactly was the nature of his visions is a whole other theme.

Posted Image
Claudine went to the Ladies to power her nose.

#10    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

View PostTheSearcher, on 01 April 2010 - 11:48 AM, said:

Nostradamus does not mention December 21, 2012 directly. ...



...


Thirdly : Some Mayan inscriptions reference dates after 2012, since the Mayan Calendar also has four rarely used higher order cycles!

And last but not least, since when does a television program cares about anything else than ratings? If you think that a tv show constitutes a valid source of information, then you're quite mistaken.
The program would not have been aired if the management thought that it would not rate well enough.

Regarding, "Nostradamus does not mention December 21, 2012 directly": As I understand it, the producers simply used Nostradamus as a focus for advertising their program = "cashing in on the name". A lesson in how to gain publicity, -- valid or not, is not their worry. B)

Concerning, "If you think that a tv show constitutes a valid source of information..." they said that themselves, at the end of the program. :tu:

Just a few passing thoughts,
Karlis


#11    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

    Coffee expert extraordinair

  • Member
  • 3,845 posts
  • Joined:16 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

View PostKarlis, on 03 April 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

The program would not have been aired if the management thought that it would not rate well enough.

Regarding, "Nostradamus does not mention December 21, 2012 directly": As I understand it, the producers simply used Nostradamus as a focus for advertising their program = "cashing in on the name". A lesson in how to gain publicity, -- valid or not, is not their worry. B)

Concerning, "If you think that a tv show constitutes a valid source of information..." they said that themselves, at the end of the program. :tu:

Just a few passing thoughts,
Karlis

Well, if you know all this, I fail to see why you posted it in the first place? I mean it's hocum, not even worth the bandwidth.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#12    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 06 April 2010 - 08:40 AM, said:

Well, if you know all this, I fail to see why you posted it in the first place? I mean it's hocum, not even worth the bandwidth.
It's an interesting and well-produced presentation imo.

Karlis


#13    Freddie AppsHero

Freddie AppsHero

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined:09 Mar 2009

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

Personally, I haven't seen a quatrain yet that could genuinely line up with history.

My personal favourite misinterpretations are "Hister" as "Hitler" and "Normans" as "North Americans".


#14    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

    Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

  • Member
  • 15,163 posts
  • Joined:08 Feb 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:london, ontario

  • ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

like most (if not all) prophecies, theyre all open to interpretation, from being so vague and not restricted to actual events.
and people only seem to notice the prophecies After they apparently happened, then people try to connect some dots here and there. but no prophecy seems to have any specifics. and if a prophecy didnt come true "oh, well it hasnt come to pass yet". BS.

the truth is out there....

#15    eclectic 1

eclectic 1

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined:30 Oct 2009

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:53 AM

Nostradamus does NOT predict that the end of the world will occur in 2012. He makes predictions for things that will happen well past the year 3700 AD...so the world has to be here for that if he is to be believed. The Mayan prophecies do NOT predict the end of the world for 2012. They call for an end to a cycle...the way that Saturday ends a cycle we call a week, and Sunday begins a new cycle...or December 31 ends a yearly cycle, and January 1 begins a new cycle. The Mayan Calendar is ROUND, because it turns, and does not end. As once cycle ends, another begins. The alignment of the Earth/solar system with the galactic center will not destroy the world, as it has so aligned tens of thousands of times in the past, without being destroyed...so this time won't be any different. Christ will NOT return in 2012 to fulfill Bible prophecies of Armegeddon...because Bible prophecies say that no one-not even Christ-knows when he will return. Only The Father knows, and He has told no one. 2012 will no more end the world than did: 2000, 1988, 1968, 1925, 1888, etc, etc, etc. The End has been often predicted...but never fulfilled. If you waste time worrying about the end of the world, you deserve the misery you will give yourself, and you will feel like a real fool when the big day arrives, and nothing happens. End Of The World hoaxes are perpetrated by religious wackos, and by publishers of movies/books/magazines/newspapers...to gain power, and make a lot of money. Don't be a sucker all of your life.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users