Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What is an "old soul", exactly?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:12 AM

I looked up what an old soul was, but I never exactly figured it out. People around me tell me that I am just like an old man trapped in a 19 year old's body. Things I have noticed that could relate are...

1. I don't enjoy the whole "party life" that normal people my age do. Sitting around talking while having a couple of drinks is good enough for me.

2. I can connect easily with those my age, I have an easy time making friends... but I find it harder to maintain those friendships than I do with those of older people (in their late 20s).

3. I have a passion and see things deeper than most. When I find something I like, I stick to it.

4. I feel like I've been around alot longer than what I have. I suffered a life of pain and suffering (almost dying twice in hospital, being reduced to 30% lung capacity). Hell, even when I was a youngster the nurses mentioned "he's just like an old man".

5. My idea of a "good time" is sitting around a camp fire playing guitars, or fishing with friends. Or laughing with friends at a kitchen party.

I dunno exactly what an old soul means, but those are the only examples I could come up with that could possibly relate to the topic. I find it easy to separate my "old life" with my "modern life", but it is a lot easier to maintain the "old life" in comparison to this one. I don't have a lot of friends, about four or five good ones. Like I said, I'm a pretty well-known guy and I can get a long well with them... I just keep the good ones close.

Edited by Mr. DeYoung, 02 April 2010 - 01:15 AM.

#2    ohio state buckeyes

ohio state buckeyes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:17 AM

Mr. DeYoung, on 02 April 2010 - 01:12 AM, said:

I looked up what an old soul was, but I never exactly figured it out. People around me tell me that I am just like an old man trapped in a 19 year old's body. Things I have noticed that could relate are...

1. I don't enjoy the whole "party life" that normal people my age do. Sitting around talking while having a couple of drinks is good enough for me.

2. I can connect easily with those my age, I have an easy time making friends... but I find it harder to maintain those friendships than I do with those of older people (in their late 20s).

3. I have a passion and see things deeper than most. When I find something I like, I stick to it.

4. I feel like I've been around alot longer than what I have. I suffered a life of pain and suffering (almost dying twice in hospital, being reduced to 30% lung capacity). Hell, even when I was a youngster the nurses mentioned "he's just like an old man".

5. My idea of a "good time" is sitting around a camp fire playing guitars, or fishing with friends. Or laughing with friends at a kitchen party.

I dunno exactly what an old soul means, but those are the only examples I could come up with that could possibly relate to the topic. I find it easy to separate my "old life" with my "modern life", but it is a lot easier to maintain the "old life" in comparison to this one. I don't have a lot of friends, about four or five good ones.
Sometimes I feel like I have an old soul , to me its just a sense  that you have been here before. I  person that seems wise beyond  their years I guess is how I would define it.

#3    Omnaka

Omnaka

Omnaka

• 7,056 posts

• Forgive the Body and love the soul, For the soul is Gods Eternal child, your Brother.
    O.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:18 AM

I dunno exactly what an old soul means, but those are the only examples I could come up with that could possibly relate to the topic. I find it easy to separate my "old life" with my "modern life", but it is a lot easier to maintain the "old life" in comparison to this one. I don't have a lot of friends, about four or five good ones. Like I said, I'm a pretty well-known guy and I can get a long well with them... I just keep the good ones close.

You most likley are an old soul, or spirit.
Imo, this is a good thing. :tu:

Love Omnaka

#4    Scimitar

Scimitar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

I can relate. Sometimes I feel like a 65 year old trapped in a 15 year old girl's body.

1. I like classic things, like cadillacs, tuxedos, cigars and leather chairs.

2.I don't like cell phones and hate texting or constantly communicating

3. I use terms like "Hot dog!" and then jump in the air and snap my feet together habitually.

4. My idea of a good time? Sitting in an old library sipping tea and writing notes on ancient leather bound books.

5. All my life I easily related to older people. I remember going to the doctor with my grandmother when I was around 8, and by the time she was finished I had a big circle of elderly patients sitting around me, conversing with me ( not pinching my cheeks or anything )

6. Sometimes I just sound like an old sea captain, period.

Edited by Scimitar, 02 April 2010 - 02:16 AM.

#5    Antimony

Antimony

Her Most Delicious Purpleness

• 1,537 posts

• It's a Pony!

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:56 AM

As I understand it, having 'an old soul' means having been reincarnated many, many times.
It also implied that this automatically means being more wise & mature than most people. I think this notion is greatly oversimplifying the 'mechanisms' of reincarnation, but that would lead to a whole other theme.

Now, according to how MR. De Young is describing himself, it sounds more like the issue is that the people around you don't think you behave according to your age, e.g. act like an old man. That's not the same as being an old soul.

I think that teenagers are the victims of stereotypes like any other age group. Not every teenager wants nothing but party, is obsessed of the opposite sex, etc, etc. For most it is a very difficult, painful time.

Sometimes people also live different phases of life at different times than most other people. Yours truly for example was an extremely serious teenager. I partied more at thirty than I ever did at 18!

So, I wouldn't worry too much about people having silly teen stereotypes (probably can thank Hollywood for that too!).

Just be tru to yourself and you can't go far wrong.

Posted Image
Claudine went to the Ladies to power her nose.

#6    a vampire wears my boxers

a vampire wears my boxers

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

• like empty prayers from a disentigrating throat

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:59 AM

good evening mr. de young, ohio state buckeyes, and scimitar! its nearly midnight! time for metamucil cookies! then sams gonna come in and give ya'll the sponge bath! then we'll tuck ya'll in and turn the tv to wheel of fortune! welcome to Unexplained-Acres rest home. you gonna love it!

it looks like the upper hand, is on the other foot.

i guess they would say we could set this world ablaze

i have never tried to succeed at anything, therefore i have never failed.

#7    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

"Record

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

Scimitar, on 02 April 2010 - 02:14 AM, said:

I can relate. Sometimes I feel like a 65 year old trapped in a 15 year old girl's body.

1. I like classic things, like cadillacs, tuxedos, cigars and leather chairs.

2.I don't like cell phones and hate texting or constantly communicating

3. I use terms like "Hot dog!" and then jump in the air and snap my feet together habitually.

4. My idea of a good time? Sitting in an old library sipping tea and writing notes on ancient leather bound books.

5. All my life I easily related to older people. I remember going to the doctor with my grandmother when I was around 8, and by the time she was finished I had a big circle of elderly patients sitting around me, conversing with me ( not pinching my cheeks or anything )

6. Sometimes I just sound like an old sea captain, period.
I don't go to those extremes. I still enjoy texting and all of the modern luxuries of life, I just have the persona of an old man.

#8    digitalartist

digitalartist

Psychic Spy

• Validating
  • 1,941 posts

• I'm Done

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:25 PM

If you are deemed an old soul it means you are wise beyond your years.  At least that's how I remember it.

#9    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

• dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

You are what you are - not the doubled up make up of something/one else ;)

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

#10    The Narcisse

The Narcisse

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

I have been told many times that I have an "old soul". The first that I can remember was when I was about 11. My aunt says that it's noticeable in peoples eyes. She says her brother had it(he died at the age of 11 or 12). I was even told this once by a "psychic" that was doing a reading.

I was told that having an "old soul" was a good thing in some ways, but that it usually meant that you would die young. I'm 28 now and have already faced many medical issues and came close to dying several times.

not sure if it means anything. maybe it's just a trait gained by people who suffer through such experiences at a young age?

#11    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

"Record

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

Well, if I remember correctly, I had polyps on my gall bladder back a few years ago and they had to take out the entire gall bladder to get rid of it. The docs said that such things were only found in patients in their 40s. Very weird.

#12    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

I fit in the category of what makes an "old soul" and qualify to shown a less fickle, more mellow personality for my age group as a child, with intellect in a "garden variety" of subjects. I know to lived a few past lives before the one I presently have, but the important lesson on living/existing is to focus on the now and plan ahead for tomorrow, make your life a very good one to get your plans/goals accomplished.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#13    TheResearcher

TheResearcher

Psychic Spy

• 1,060 posts

• Et tu, Brute?

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

You all just sound like normal people to be frank.  Many people are more mature than their peers when young, and equally many people are nostalgic about times before they were born.  For example, I am a very 1790-1820 person.  But it does not mean that I have to start believing in spirits, and reincarnation, to make it fit with the belief that I somehow lived during that era.

A man who will do his duty
Posted Image

#14    Antimony

Antimony

Her Most Delicious Purpleness

• 1,537 posts

• It's a Pony!

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

The Narcisse, on 02 April 2010 - 03:32 PM, said:

I was told that having an "old soul" was a good thing in some ways, but that it usually meant that you would die young. I'm 28 now and have already faced many medical issues and came close to dying several times.

That is utter BS, trust me. Don't you believe that for one minute. The number of lives lived has nothing to do whatsoever with your life-span. We are here to experience what it means to be human, with everything it entails. Sometimes we die young, sometimes not, depends entirely on the experience you've agreed/decided to make.

Anyway, being an old soul just means having been around the block more often than others. Doesn't automatically make you wiser throughout.

Edited by Antimony, 02 April 2010 - 07:37 PM.

Posted Image
Claudine went to the Ladies to power her nose.

#15    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

"Record

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

Antimony, on 02 April 2010 - 07:36 PM, said:

That is utter BS, trust me. Don't you believe that for one minute. The number of lives lived has nothing to do whatsoever with your life-span. We are here to experience what it means to be human, with everything it entails. Sometimes we die young, sometimes not, depends entirely on the experience you've agreed/decided to make.

Anyway, being an old soul just means having been around the block more often than others. Doesn't automatically make you wiser throughout.
My experiences have definitely shaped me as an individual, taking life one step at a time. I had a rough experience with hospitals, being in and out nearly every three weeks as a youngster due to chest infections and whatever else. I came to appreciate the joys of life a lot more than others as a result of my past experiences. Hell, even walking outside and seeing the sun in the sky is a miracle to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users