Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What Is Community Psychology?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

• c^2= (d/t)^2 = d^2/t^2 = (d^2) x (1/t^2)...Time is squared

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:49 AM

To read any introductory text in the field of psychology, one would guess that the typical psychologist spends all of his or her time dreaming up and conducting arcane laboratory experiments, often of questionable relevance to pressing real world concerns.  On the contrary, however, most psychologists work in naturally occurring situations and settings.  In addition to the clinical and testing psychologists, with whom the public is most familiar, many people--at all levels of professional training--are entering a relatively new field called community psychology.  Community psychology is fundamentally concerned with the relationship between social systems and individual well-being in the community context.  Thus, community psychologists grapple with an array of social and mental health problems and they do so through research and interventions in both public and private community settings.

One of the most exciting aspects of community psychology is that the field is developing rapidly and is still in the process of defining itself.  It is not easily reduced to the traditional. content categories in psychology for several reasons.  Fist, community psychologists simultaneously emphasize both (applied) service delivery to the community and (theory-based) research on social environmental processes.  Second, they focus, not just on individual psychological make-up, but on multiple levels of analysis, from individuals and groups to specific programs to organizations and, finally, to whole communities.  Third, community psychology covers a broad range of settings and substantive areas.  A community psychologist might find herself or himself conducting research in a mental health center on Monday, appearing as an expert witness in a courtroom on Tuesday, evaluating a hospital program on Wednesday, implementing a school-based program on Thursday, and organizing a community board meeting on Friday.  For all the above reasons, there is a sense of vibrant urgency and uniqueness among community psychologists--as if they are as much a part of a social movement as of a professional or scientific discipline.

Rest of link

Any thoughts?

Time is a form of communication
Consciousness transcends all states
that can be perceived as matter
Matter communicates its existence
to consciousness through time        
Man is infinite
God is more
Black Hole Creates Spectacular Light Show

#2    Amberlight

Amberlight

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:15 AM

I believe it is always an advantage to take a problem in both a micro and macro context. For psychology to open itself up it to look at both only serves the population better. There are many reasons people find themselves in the problems they face, it's rarely one single event.

Today on my walk I passed by this old lady who was sweetly calling to her cat. She said, “Here Sylvester, here kitty kitty, come here.” But while she said it she was holding this large broom. This made me wonder what she knew about Sylvester that the rest of us didn’t. - Amberlight

#3    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:24 AM

I chose this link because it addresses the topic well. But it also suggest that Community psychology is new?? I took courses on this specific subject when I was in college. For me, I like Jung but in truth? I like this better.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Triad, 12 April 2010 - 01:25 AM.

Man is infinite
God is more

#4    Black Hound

Black Hound

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the explaination. Never heard of Community Psychology, though, I am a practicing psychologist but in the field of mental healt so somethings  do slip by me. As for doing arcane things in labs. We gave that up in undergraduate school, and didn't have the time due to reading and internships while working on our M.A.s and Ph.D.s. I'l check with some community MH types and find out more about the treatment of the general pop.goes and not just the rich, neurotic ones that the paractice I am in treats. :tu:  :tu:  :tu:

Edited by Graveyard Hound, 12 April 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#5    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:49 AM

View PostGraveyard Hound, on 12 April 2010 - 07:02 PM, said:

Thanks for the explaination. Never heard of Community Psychology, though, I am a practicing psychologist but in the field of mental healt so somethings  do slip by me. As for doing arcane things in labs. We gave that up in undergraduate school, and didn't have the time due to reading and internships while working on our M.A.s and Ph.D.s. I'l check with some community MH types and find out more about the treatment of the general pop.goes and not just the rich, neurotic ones that the paractice I am in treats. :tu:  :tu:  :tu:

Homeboy, it just worked out that way.

Any thoughts?

Man is infinite
God is more

#6    grehamjones

grehamjones

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:39 AM

Generally community psychology deals with the relationships of the individual to communities and  society. It is generally  concerned with the relationship between social work group system and individual in the community context. It is not a professional and scientific discipline.It is also an  value orientation that is applicable to virtually any field or profession.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users