Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are We Living In a Computer Simulation?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Dr.Brain

Dr.Brain

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 04:51 PM

I went through this interesting topic that really makes yor' brain tickle!

Read This Up:

This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

INTRODUCTION:

Many works of science fiction as well as some forecasts by serious technologists and futurologists predict that enormous amounts of computing power will be available in the future. Let us suppose for a moment that these predictions are correct. One thing that later generations might do with their super-powerful computers is run detailed simulations of their forebears or of people like their forebears. Because their computers would be so powerful, they could run a great many such simulations. Suppose that these simulated people are conscious (as they would be if the simulations were sufficiently fine-grained and if a certain quite widely accepted position in the philosophy of mind is correct). Then it could be the case that the vast majority of minds like ours do not belong to the original race but rather to people simulated by the advanced descendants of an original race. It is then possible to argue that, if this were the case, we would be rational to think that we are likely among the simulated minds rather than among the original biological ones. Therefore, if we don’t think that we are currently living in a computer simulation, we are not entitled to believe that we will have descendants who will run lots of such simulations of their forebears. That is the basic idea.

If u want more on that article...Mail M euP.....This theory was given by BY NICK BOSTROM

Department of Philosophy, Yale University

#2    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 06:17 PM

philosopher= someone with nothing better to do than come up with a million other realities than the one they live in.  

we could live in a computer simulation, but then again we could be living in a giant monkey's ass too and i can make a credible case for it smile.gif                                                

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#3    Halo_Jones

Halo_Jones

Psychic Spy

• 2,067 posts

• Thanks to Universal Absurdity and The Barman for my new Groovy Dynamite Diva.....See UA & thebarman's Animated Avatar Workshop

Posted 19 December 2002 - 10:59 AM

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

What a lovely thought biggrin.gif                                                

#4    Dr.Brain

Dr.Brain

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 03:42 PM

You people are stinky blink.gif                                                

#5    Bloated Corpse

Bloated Corpse

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 02:45 AM

Sounds like the Matrix.                                                

Wabi Sabi

Wabi-sabi is the quintessential Japanese aesthetic.

It is a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent and incomplete.
It is a beauty of things modest and humble.
It is a beauty of things unconventional.

#6    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,063 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 December 2002 - 12:16 PM

I agree this does sound like something out of "The Matrix".

In the end, there isn't any real evidence at all to support the idea that we are all living in some sort of computer simulation, and as DSchwartz said above, it's possible to come up with a credible case for almost any similar theory.

I don't think it's possible for an entire civilization to exist consciously only in a virtual environment generated by a computer - somehow I think intelligent beings need something more "real" than a simulation to grow and advance as a species.                                                

#7    odinsupreme

odinsupreme

Odin

• 1,097 posts

• Yes.

Posted 26 December 2002 - 03:47 PM

It could be possible, and who cares if it's true? We never had any problems with it. You can never prove that we are living in a simulation, neither can you prove were not. Maybe if Mr. Anderson, sorry, Neo, comes and saves us, then we know what's the reality. What would you rather, live in a destroyed world where nothing is like you know it, or in a simulation where you are very happy (ok, not very happy, but with happy moments)?

I think I would choose for the "Happy Place". Why bother trying to rescue all the people in this world, when they don't need to be saved, because the live their lives withouth knowing the truth, in happiness?

Odin ph34r.gif (undercover)                                                

#8    odinsupreme

odinsupreme

Odin

• 1,097 posts

• Yes.

Posted 26 December 2002 - 03:54 PM

Another thing,

The ancient greeks already discussed about this subject, I am not sure wich philosepher it was. The were not saying that we were living in a computer simulation, but in a fake reality, where the mind makes our reality. Basically that's the truth, your mind makes the reality, who says that mentally ill people are sick, maybe they are the ones who see the truth and we are just not well enough devolped to see the truth as it really is.

Just think about colors, dogs can't see colors, but then their sense of smell is much better. Those difference have a huge impact on the way your percieve the world. Your mind makes the reality, the reality isn't real, your experiences in life and your mind makes it as it is.

Odin                                                

#9    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 05:16 PM

Good point Odin,

If we are living in a 'fake reality', maybe it's because the fake is better than real. Although I completely disagree with this line of thought, it is an interesting topic...so perhaps we were put here in this 'fake reality' to save us from the true reality eek7.gif                                                

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users