Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Major Donald Keyhoe's UFO Archives.

karl 12

“The Air Force had put out a secret order for its pilots to capture UFOs. For the last six months we have been working with a congressional committee investigating official secrecy concerning proof that UFOs are real machines under intelligent.....”

Major Donald Keyhoe, during a live TV broadcast on CBS in 1958 in which he was pulled from the air when he began to deviate from the prepared format of the programme.

Major Donald Keyhoe's archives have now been made available free on line - for those who don't know of him he was a very important chap in the history of UFO research and co-founder of the NICAP organisation in 1956.

The archives cover a great deal of topics involved with the UFO subject such as historical and global reports, government documents, scientific papers, police encounters, newspaper articles etc.. as well as coverage of specific UFO incidents and press conferences from the Pentagon and U.N.

They also contain some very interesting interviews and comments from such people as Dr James E. Mcdonald, Hermann Oberth, Jan Aldrich, Francis Ridge, Ted Bloecher, Wendy Connors, Barry Greenwood etc.. and observations about government sponsered UFO panels like the Condon committee and Robertson Panel.

Archives:

2eb701116ea0.jpg

"The Keyhoe Archives includes significant UFO research material from Major Donald Keyhoe, Richard Hall, the Fund for UFO Research, Isabel Davis, Ted Bloecher, Dr. James McDonald, Marshall Cleaver..

Journal of UFO History - A Publication of the Donald E. Keyhoe Archives

Bio:

Donald Keyhoe graduated from the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD, in 1920, with a BS degree and a commission as a second lieutenant in the USMC. Keyhoe became a Naval aviator, piloting both balloons and airplanes in the period between the World Wars. After a flying accident in Guam he was medically retired from the military. During World War II he was recalled to active duty with the rank of major in the USMC.

When the first "flying saucer" sightings were reported in June,1947, Keyhoe, an experienced pilot, was skeptical. True asked him to investigate UFOs in 1949. He interviewed numerous pilots as well as military officers in the Pentagon. Keyhoe discovered that expert observers had seen the unexplained discs, many at close range. His article "Flying Saucers Are Real" in the January,1950 issue of True became one of the most widely read and discussed articles in publishing history, and caused a sensation. In January, 1950, the article was expanded into a paperback book. In 1957, Keyhoe became Director of the newly formed National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP) in Washington, DC. Under Keyhoe's leadership NICAP gave serious publicity to the UFO phenomena throughout the 1960s and encouraged subsequent Congressional hearings.

Link

Related Links:

Extended Biography - books and articles.

Major Keyhoe gets cut off air - USAF Censorship of TV broadcast?

Major Keyhoe - sound-clip audio collection.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl 12

• skyeagle409

• booNyzarC

Major Donald Keyhoe's archives have now been made available free on line - for those who don't know of him he was a very important chap in the history of UFO research and co-founder of the NICAP organisation in 1956.

The archives cover a great deal of topics involved with the UFO subject such as historical and global reports, government documents, scientific papers, police encounters, newspaper articles etc.. as well as coverage of specific UFO incidents and press conferences from the Pentagon and U.N.

They also contain some very interesting interviews and comments from such people as Dr James E. Mcdonald, Hermann Oberth, Jan Aldrich, Francis Ridge, Ted Bloecher, Wendy Connors, Barry Greenwood etc.. and observations about government sponsered UFO panels like the Condon committee and Robertson Panel.

Journal of UFO History - A Publication of the Donald E. Keyhoe Archives

Bio:

Link

Related Links:

Extended Biography - books and articles.

Major Keyhoe gets cut off air - USAF Censorship of TV broadcast?

Major Keyhoe - sound-clip audio collection.

Thanks, Karl! thumbsup.gif

Many people are unaware that Donald Keyhoe was cut off on the CBS, Armstrong Circle Theater on January 22, 1958.

Many people are unaware that Donald Keyhoe was cut off on the CBS, Armstrong Circle Theater on January 22, 1958.

Skyeagle, good to hear from you matey - found this letter at the NICAP link dealing with Major Keyhoe's removal from the airwaves and it's pretty interesting reading considering the content of what he was saying.

6558a7582d7b.gif

Newspaper clipping and article about censored CBS programme (pdf)

Cheers.

More info on Major Keyhoe being censored on CBS interview because of 'security reasons' and 'the public interest':

AIR FORCE CENSORSHIP OF TV BROADCAST ABOUT UFOs STIRRED CONTROVERSY IN 1958.

In one of the more bizarre incidents of UFO history, a major CBS Television broadcast about UFOs, sponsored by a large corporation, was cut off the air when Maj. Donald E. Keyhoe, USMC (Ret.) departed from the script and started to ad lib.

The "Armstrong Circle Theater," sponsored by the Armstrong Cork Company of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, was a popular program at that time. The UFO discussion, broadcast on Jan. 22, 1958, was titled UFOs: Enigma of the Skies. It had been carefully scripted under the strong influence of the Air Force.

Frustrated by the continued efforts of the Air Force to control what he wanted to say, Maj. Keyhoe started to announce that NICAP (the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena, which he directed) had been working with a Senate committee to investigate UFO secrecy, when the sound level of the audio - very obviously -- was abruptly cut.

When CBS-TV was deluged with phone calls, letters, and telegrams protesting what appeared to be overt censorship, CBS justified the action by stating:

"This program had been carefully cleared for security reasons....public interest was served by the action taken by CBS."

Link

Script for the show found in Blue Book Archives

Amended CBS Television Interview:

Thanks again'Karl'!..Brilliant interview!! :tu:

Skyeagle, good to hear from you matey - found this letter at the NICAP link dealing with Major Keyhoe's removal from the airwaves and it's pretty interesting reading considering the content of what he was saying.

6558a7582d7b.gif

Newspaper clipping and article about censored CBS programme (pdf)

Cheers.

Karl, you are simply amazing the way find these reports!! thumbsup.gif

This is the first time I have seen this, but I have been aware of what happened on CBS for many years. I must add that Major Donald Keyhoe also revealed on video, Project Saucer file #75.

Back in those days, I remembered that TV shows were 'Live' and there was a Westinghouse refrigerator commercial that is a classic.

Edited by skyeagle409

This is first time I have come across Major Donald Keyhoe,

or mention of this specific CBS censoring reaction.

However, I am not surprised, to any degree. Not by a long shot.

Thank you for sharing information.

This is first time I have come across Major Donald Keyhoe,

or mention of this specific CBS censoring reaction.

However, I am not surprised, to any degree. Not by a long shot.

Thank you for sharing information.

Goes to show another way the government seeks to muzzle those who want to reveal the rest of the story regarding the UFO enigma.

Thanks for the replies- Major Keyhoe certainly was a very knowledgeable chap and, as well as compiling the archives, he did an awful lot of campaigning to get the UFO subject treated seriously.

There are quite a few documents out there dealing with his involvement with NICAP and there's an interesting letter below sent by him to President Truman in which he discusses UFO evidence, official USAF debunking policy and press censorship.

Letter to President Truman from Major Donald Keyhoe, Director of the NICAP, 3 February 1959:

PDF File

On February 3, 1959, retired Major Donald E. Keyhoe, Director of the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP), writes to former President Harry Truman about UFOs.The three page letter with attachments argues that there is a UFO cover-up and press censorship then describes the legal regulations (AFR 200-2 and JANAP 146) that officially invokes espionage laws in relation to both military and civilian pilots reporting UFOs. Here is a sampling of some quotations: "One of our aims is to expose frauds; another is to convince the press and public that this is a serious problem despite the ridicule...caused by the official debunking policy, which is now used to obscure the concerned and intensive investigation of Air Force and other agencies," or "There is a mass of evidence supporting our claims as to UFO reality and official censorship," or "As Admiral Hillenkoetter told me some time ago, the only way to break the secrecy is by means of open hearings on Capitol Hill."

The attachments to this letter are equally interesting, included is a long list of names and occupations of 120 witnesses to UFO events, mostly pilots, military officers and credible civilians; many have direct quotations about their sighting or the UFO enigma. Two short articles are also included, one on UFO censorship and the other titled "Radar Absorbing Material May Create Serious Problem.".

Link

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies- Major Keyhoe certainly was a very knowledgeable chap and, as well as compiling the archives, he did an awful lot of campaigning to get the UFO subject treated seriously.

There are quite a few documents out there dealing with his involvement with NICAP and there's an interesting letter below sent by him to President Truman in which he discusses UFO evidence, official USAF debunking policy and press censorship.

Cheers.

Yes indeed!

The Air Force is in the business of debunking UFO reports, and the use of the word; "helicopters" to explain away UFOs, is another case in point. Note, how there were those who actually believed that helicopters were involved in the incidents, which is just one example of how the Air Force has managed to fool some members of the public on UFOs over the decades.

The Air Force is in the business of debunking UFO reports...

Skyeagle, indeed they are my friend and some of their explanations on this thread are quite clearly 'concocted falsehoods' or, as one of the leading physicists of the time put it, 'absurdly erroneous'.

Dr James Mcdonald also made this statement but I think the paragraph at the bottom sums it up best. :)

"As a result of several trips to project Bluebook,I´ve had an opportunity to examine quite carefully and in detail the types of reports that are made by Bluebook personnel.In most cases, I have found that theres almost no correlation between so-called "evaluations and explanations" that are made by Bluebook and the facts of the case... "

Dr James McDonald -Senior physicist at the Institute for Atmospheric Physics and professor in the Department of Meteorology at the University of Arizona

Blue Book Cooks Its Books:

. . . What was Blue Book in 1955? It was an organization that

(1) claimed to be the sole repository of military UFO reports, but was not;

(2) was under orders to use any means necessary to identify UFOs as conventional objects, regardless of how strained the explanation became;

(3) intentionally misled the public with meaningless and even fictitious statistics; and

(4) had a barely breathing investigative capability.

The conclusion is self-evident: Blue Book was the mask worn by the Air Force for public viewing. Its UFO reports and evaluations – intellectually dishonest in the extreme – can therefore have no scientific value whatsoever. The fact that the U.S. military and other official sources continue to use them tells us more about the organizations than it does about UFOs. . . .

Link

Cheers.

Skyeagle, indeed they are my friend and some of their explanations on this thread are quite clearly 'concocted falsehoods' or, as one of the leading physicists of the time put it, 'absurdly erroneous'.

Dr James Mcdonald also made this statement but I think the paragraph at the bottom sums it up best. original.gif

Blue Book Cooks Its Books:

Link

Cheers.

There are explanations in Blue Book that are absurd.

There are explanations in Blue Book that are absurd.

Skyeagle -there sure are. :)

There's an interesting letter below from Pentagon/USAF spokesperson Albert Chop who describes Keyhoe as 'a responsible and accurate reporter' - some of incidents mentioned on the 'Clearance List' are also very intriguing and remain unexplained.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Interview with Major Keyhoe and MUFON's Bob Pratt.

Donald Edward Keyhoe was one of the most prominent people in the world of UFOs in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. His influence on ufology was great. His five books and numerous magazine articles about UFOs convinced countless thousands of people that UFOs are real. Because of him, many of those readers became UFO researchers themselves who are still active today. This article by Bob Pratt recounts his conversations with Donald Keyhoe.

Conversations with Major Donald Keyhoe

Interview with Major Keyhoe and MUFON's Bob Pratt.

Conversations with Major Donald Keyhoe

From the link.

He was ousted as NICAP’s director in December 1969 but he remained on the board of governors. By then, government agents reportedly had infiltrated NICAP, and the character of the organization changed greatly in the following years. NICAP became little than a report collection agency, many members resigned, and in 1980 it was shut down for good.

Where have I heard that before?

Where have I heard that before?

SkyEagle, yes it does sound pretty familiar and I suspect it goes on quite a bit - I don't know if you've read Terry Hansen's ' Missing Times ' but it makes quite a good case for CIA propaganda dissemination techniques and covert debunking tactics - there's also an interesting article below about the man who forced Major Keyhoe out of NICAP (Colonel Joseph Bryan III) being a former head of the CIA's psy-ops division:

Major Keyhoe forced to retire from NICAP by former CIA covert agent:

By 1969, Keyhoe turned his focus away from the military and focused on the CIA as the source of the UFO cover up. By December 1969, NICAP's board, headed by Colonel Joseph Bryan III, forced Keyhoe to retire as NICAP chief. Bryan was actually a former covert CIA agent who had served as founder and head of the CIA's psychological warfare division. Under Bryan's leadership, NICAP disbanded its local and state affiliate groups.

Link

How the Real NICAP began

Cheers.

• 6 months later...

Hi Karl,

great post, along with many others you have posted recently.....

my only problem is how i keep up with them all :)

take care :cry:

Karl, it's great to have someone posting these very important interviews, etc. It's also great to have someone put them together so nice in one thread! Thanks dude!

SkyEagle, yes it does sound pretty familiar and I suspect it goes on quite a bit - I don't know if you've read Terry Hansen's ' Missing Times ' but it makes quite a good case for CIA propaganda dissemination techniques and covert debunking tactics - there's also an interesting article below about the man who forced Major Keyhoe out of NICAP (Colonel Joseph Bryan III) being a former head of the CIA's psy-ops division:

Cheers.

Yes indeed, and I have long been aware of the CIA's tactics as well.

Edited by skyeagle409

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys, Major Keyhoe was certainly a persistent chap. :)

I don't necessarily agree with all his opinions but there are some very interesting UFO incidents mentioned in the articles and Ebook below:

Articles:

Free E-Book:

The Flying Saucers Are Real by Donald Keyhoe [1950]

05f1e943e61f.jpg

This was one of the first books published about the UFO phenomena. We are fortunate that it ended up in the public domain.

It is a template for much of what would follow: the paranoia, the government disinformation, the inescapable conclusion that the saucers are not of this earth. Keyhoe, with his spare, matter of fact writing style, which also conveys a profound sense of wonder, has to be the prototype for the deadpan Fox Mulder of the X-Files.

On one hand we can see the birth of a key modern mythology. On the other, there is a body of almost naive evidence in this text unpolluted by that very mythology. The case studies are real. The witnesses were highly reliable. These cases are still unexplained.

link

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

More info on Major Keyhoe being censored on CBS interview because of 'security reasons' and 'the public interest':

Amended CBS Television Interview:

I remember reviewing a video interview of Donald Keyhoe years ago where he revealed Project Saucer, File #75.

• 2 weeks later...

Free E-book authored by Major Keyoe issued on the 13th anniversary of the NICAP web site:

d3d5861f27ef.jpg
Three years ago, in a book entitled The Flying Saucers Are Real, I reported the results of my first investigation into this world-wide mystery. At that time I stated my belief that the U.S. Air Force knew the answer and was hiding it from the public.

Since July, 1952, in a new investigation of the saucers, I have been privileged to cooperate with the Air Force. Because of my present understanding of their very serious problem, and certain dangers inherent in the situation, I have been given information unknown to most Americans.

Scores of impressive sighting reports by service pilots have been cleared for me, with the conclusions of Air Technical Intelligence—some so incredible they would have been ridiculed two or three years ago.

As a result of this close association, this book reveals, I believe, all that the Air Force has learned about the flying saucers. It also explains the contradictions that have come, from time to time, from various Defense officials, as well as the reasons for official silence.

link