Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NORMALITY - The Ever elusive word

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    longlongago

longlongago

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

Is there such a thing as ' Normal '

Or is it merely a Substitute for ' Socially acceptable ' behavior ..

#2    Sthenno

Sthenno

Poltergeist

• 2,167 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

View Postlonglongago, on 16 April 2010 - 02:23 PM, said:

Is there such a thing as ' Normal '

Or is it merely a Substitute for ' Socially acceptable ' behavior ..

I don't think it's even that specific... there's plenty of socially acceptable behavior that you'd struggle to classify as 'normal'.
Particularly when it comes to mental health, there's no default setting that we all start from. It's just part of the trend to treat mental health in the same way as physical health, something which you can cure. But the difference is that the body has a normal heart rate, a normal blood pressure etc., so there's something to use as a guideline. There's no such thing as average mental health. Some people might seem more obviously 'unusual' at first, but I've never understood the point of trying to nudge them towards this obscure concept of 'Normal'.

#3    WanderingTeaCake

WanderingTeaCake

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• Intrigued...

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:03 PM

normal  :rolleyes:   :lol: haha in my opinion, normal is just a group of people all thinking that acting / behaving, living etc one way / the same way as themselves is perhaps the right way, and so the 'normal' way... if thats any use :D lol probably isn't..

Inspire and Encourage...

#4    icile_xele

icile_xele

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

When it comes to abnormality in psychology, I think the key issue is ones own ability to function in society, survive, and not harm him/herself or others in the process.

#5    longlongago

longlongago

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:03 PM

View PostSthenno, on 16 April 2010 - 02:35 PM, said:

I don't think it's even that specific... there's plenty of socially acceptable behavior that you'd struggle to classify as 'normal'.
Particularly when it comes to mental health, there's no default setting that we all start from. It's just part of the trend to treat mental health in the same way as physical health, something which you can cure. But the difference is that the body has a normal heart rate, a normal blood pressure etc., so there's something to use as a guideline. There's no such thing as average mental health. Some people might seem more obviously 'unusual' at first, but I've never understood the point of trying to nudge them towards this obscure concept of 'Normal'.

Thanks .

Isn't there some sort of ' Fear ' about opening the box of  ' what's the meaning of my life  '

Suppose we DON'T find any!

So isn't it better to push the whole thing aside and say there is nothing to find .

Edited by longlongago, 16 April 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#6    Sthenno

Sthenno

Poltergeist

• 2,167 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

View Postlonglongago, on 16 April 2010 - 05:03 PM, said:

Thanks .

Isn't there some sort of ' Fear ' about opening the box of  ' what's the meaning of my life  '

Suppose we DON'T find any!

So isn't it better to push the whole thing aside and say there is nothing to find .

I guess so... I'm not really sure how that relates to concepts of normality though?

#7    longlongago

longlongago

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

View Posticile_xele, on 16 April 2010 - 05:02 PM, said:

When it comes to abnormality in psychology, I think the key issue is ones own ability to function in society, survive, and not harm him/herself or others in the process.

and not harm him/herself or others in the process ..

Do you really think it is possible ?

It takes all sorts to make a society .

#8    longlongago

longlongago

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

View PostSthenno, on 16 April 2010 - 05:09 PM, said:

I guess so... I'm not really sure how that relates to concepts of normality though?

Haven't you seen Blinkered horses ?

Guess that's  ' Normal ' .

#9    Sthenno

Sthenno

Poltergeist

• 2,167 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

View Postlonglongago, on 16 April 2010 - 05:22 PM, said:

Haven't you seen Blinkered horses ?

Guess that's  ' Normal ' .
You mean people think they're normal because they only see a limited view of the world?

#10    longlongago

longlongago

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

View PostSthenno, on 16 April 2010 - 05:30 PM, said:

You mean people think they're normal because they only see a limited view of the world?

I guess people think they're normal because they do not see the unlimited view
of the world .

#11    Sthenno

Sthenno

Poltergeist

• 2,167 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

View Postlonglongago, on 16 April 2010 - 05:35 PM, said:

I guess people think they're normal because they do not see the unlimited view
of the world .
I suppose so. I'm not sure that 'normal' is a concept that many people give much thought to, except possibly as insecure teenagers. Personally I should hate to be normal!

#12    icile_xele

icile_xele

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

View Postlonglongago, on 16 April 2010 - 05:15 PM, said:

Do you really think it is possible ?

It takes all sorts to make a society .

Do I really think what is possible? I'm not sure what you're asking or saying.

Do I think it's really possible that we not harm ourselves or others in the process of sustaining ourselves? Obviously "harm" is a term that can vary in severity. I mean... not a murderer and not on suicide watch, basically. If an individual cannot function within society and does not try to meet his or her own basic needs, then you have an issue of abnormality on your hands. When I say function I mean able to hold a job, and various other basic things. I don't mean total assimilation.

Sure, a lot of great inventions and great changes have come from, dare I say the freaks of the world :), but I think what's most important is an individual's ability to live and adapt enough for the sake of survival. The inability to do these things is what I would consider "abnormal". Everything else, to me, would just be variation in perspectives and preferences.

Edited by icile_xele, 16 April 2010 - 09:18 PM.

#13    longlongago

longlongago

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:39 AM

View PostSthenno, on 16 April 2010 - 06:49 PM, said:

I suppose so. I'm not sure that 'normal' is a concept that many people give much thought to, except possibly as insecure teenagers. Personally I should hate to be normal!

There is a Dark side of human nature , very little known to us .
Instincts that do not meet the general approval .. and play a role throughout in
our lives .

Isn't that where one begins to wonder ?

#14    icile_xele

icile_xele

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:11 PM

View Postlonglongago, on 17 April 2010 - 04:39 AM, said:

There is a Dark side of human nature , very little known to us .
Instincts that do not meet the general approval .. and play a role throughout in
our lives .

Isn't that where one begins to wonder ?

When you speak of the dark side, would the cause need to be considered first? I think there are some things which are inherent, and other things which are learned behaviors or develop out of life experiences. I think it has more to do with how one processes information and experiences, than some dark cloud that looms over human nature. Not to say that there isn't a dark side at all, but when we're looking at normality, I think the origin of this would need to be considered. (What it is, not merely what it looks like to the varying perspectives of observers.)

#15    longlongago

longlongago

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:24 AM

View Posticile_xele, on 17 April 2010 - 03:11 PM, said:

When you speak of the dark side, would the cause need to be considered first? I think there are some things which are inherent, and other things which are learned behaviors or develop out of life experiences. I think it has more to do with how one processes information and experiences, than some dark cloud that looms over human nature. Not to say that there isn't a dark side at all, but when we're looking at normality, I think the origin of this would need to be considered. (What it is, not merely what it looks like to the varying perspectives of observers.)

Why one feels what one feels ..
Can the root of this be ever determined ?

When you look at the unknown factor in the human brain ,
' Learned behavior '  appears to be just the tip of an Iceberg .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users