Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Washed Ashore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 10:32 PM

Japanese fishermen discovered an unusual vessel on the beach at Harayadori, northeast of Tokyo, in the winter of 1803. It resembled a cooking pot for rice, 3.5 metres high and 5.5 metres in diameter, with a wide brim around the middle. The bottom half of the vessel consisted of the 'finest foreign iron'. The top was painted black, copvered with pitch and contained glass panels and a sliding door.

Inside the vessel was a woman.  According to the 19th Century classic work Dust of Japanese Apricots 'She seemed to be 20 years old....had a fair complexion like brilliant snow and wore her black hair dangling behind her back. Her beauty was beyond description.'

The woman, who was unable to communicate to her resuers guarded 'a small box and let no-one near it, for reasons unknown'.

Unfortunately nothing more is known about the story as nothing more is written.                                                

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#2    Halo_Jones

Halo_Jones

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

• Thanks to Universal Absurdity and The Barman for my new Groovy Dynamite Diva.....See UA & thebarman's Animated Avatar Workshop

Posted 19 December 2002 - 11:05 AM

Sounds very much like Venus emerging from the sea.  ponder.gif                                                

#3    Test_Bear

Test_Bear

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 07:44 AM

It reminds me of the accounts of "flying cigars" in which people communicated with very human like people who spoke odd languages. Perhaps something from the inside of the earth?                                                

"If I laugh at any human thing 'tis so I do not weep."     -Lord Byron

#4    Mystify

Mystify

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 01:47 PM

some more info on the story....

lots to read

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m2843/4_2...%22%22%3Fcf%3D0                                                

I'm here today because of the past, i respect my self and all i have become and there for i do not regret the road i've walked.

#5    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 12:04 AM

nice find, Mystify.  makes a lot of sense to me smile.gif                                                

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#6    orcafresh

orcafresh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:32 AM

Yes, nice find. Looks like a pthway to anime and manga. We know that the American sequential art culture didn't wash over the Japanese by itself without some creative imaginations there. Thanks for sharing.  smile.gif                                                  

Regards,

orcafresh

The Mighty Mini-Con

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge
orcafresh.net

#7    Sidhe

Sidhe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 05:24 PM

The more I see Mystify's avatar, the more I love Canada..  huh.gif

I think this is an example of cultural myth springing from real world circumstances.. in the early 1800s Japan was still largely cut off from the rest of the world culturally.  It makes sense, in a mythic way, that stories like this would arise having to do with caucasian looking people.. of course it's a woman, because the myth in this case has to do with the attractiveness of the Western culture.  I would be surprised if there were not counter-myths that show the fear of that culture as well.. there is a vestige of that in the incomprehensibility of the woman's language.

It does remind one of the myth of Venus..

But many cultures have the myth of white men (and sometimes women) coming out of the sea (often in ships) bringing great learning and culture with them.  I think the whole of South and Central America share at least two myths of this sort.. one is the familiar Coatzlcoatl.. dunno if I spelled that right.. but there is an even older one too.  Always some white guy for some reason..

Whatever it is, it seems to be mythic in the case of the Japanese stories, because there is no "follow up" about the woman, who would obviously been a curiosity.  You would expect her to have made a sensation..                                                  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users