Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hadron Collider could form black holes

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: Wikimedia Commons</strong>
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons
New calculations based on equations devised by Albert Einstein support the idea that the LHC can form black holes. Some people expressed great concern over the idea that a black hole formed by the collider would swallow up the whole planet  however in reality such black holes would be both extremely small and disappear extremely quickly.

"One of the concerns that has been voiced about the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), is that it could result in the formation of black holes that could destroy the world. While most scientists dismiss claims that anything produced in the LHC would destroy the planet, there are some that think that black formation could be seen with LHC collisions of sufficiently high energy. "

Posted Image View: Full Article | Posted Image Source: Physorg

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Lizardian_guy

Lizardian_guy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Location:Undefinable variable entered, system failure imminent. Please contact your administrator.

• I think, therefore I am. Does this mean I can discard the existence of mankind?

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

Those aren't new calculations at all. Except those "black holes" can't harm anything.

You know why they're not spreading the news? Because people are morons. People don't know what a black hole is, and if they told them that the LHC can generate micro black holes, news media everywhere would understand it as "MAD SCIENTISTS DESIGN BLACK HOLE MACHINE, STILL NO NEWS FROM THE PENTAGON".

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Trying to explain the unknown as the work of God is equally stupid as trying to explain it as the work of the human mind.
~ Myself

#3    Shuriken

Shuriken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

• Can't you see
    It all makes perfect sense...

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

View PostLizardian_guy, on 17 April 2010 - 11:07 AM, said:

Those aren't new calculations at all. Except those "black holes" can't harm anything.

You know why they're not spreading the news? Because people are morons. People don't know what a black hole is, and if they told them that the LHC can generate micro black holes, news media everywhere would understand it as "MAD SCIENTISTS DESIGN BLACK HOLE MACHINE, STILL NO NEWS FROM THE PENTAGON".
"black hole" is one of the most popular sci-fi terms out there and it's hardly an unknown astrophysical term known only by some "inside" people... :)

Jesus is cuming back and boy, is he mad!

#4    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

Earth gets pummelled by forces much greater than the lhc can generate...I think, and we are still here.

#5    Agent Darkbootie

Agent Darkbootie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, this was all discussed in the hype around the LHC's activation. Either the black holes would be so dense that they'd fly right through the planet or they'd disintegrate from insufficient mass.

#6    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

Black holes? again? this topik has been discussed over and over again...this is oooooooooooold

Edited by ~C.S.M~, 17 April 2010 - 03:08 PM.

Finally got my black belt....

#7    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,779 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

Think about what we could do if we could harness the power of a black hole. I am thinking about the object the found that is moving at four times the speed of light. I think it was in galaxy M23 on another thread here. I say let the mad scientist out of the box. :)

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#8    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 17 April 2010 - 03:28 PM, said:

I say let the mad scientist out of the box. :)

*with crazy psychotic laugh included*

#9    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:42 PM

View Postchaoszerg, on 17 April 2010 - 03:38 PM, said:

*with crazy psychotic laugh included*

Ah, I just got a image of Crazy Scientist ™
With your new crazy scientist, you to can threaten world governments for large sums of cash!

Igor sold separately.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#10    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 17 April 2010 - 03:28 PM, said:

Think about what we could do if we could harness the power of a black hole. I am thinking about the object the found that is moving at four times the speed of light. I think it was in galaxy M23 on another thread here. I say let the mad scientist out of the box. :)

It only appeared to be traveling at four times the speed of light; it was an illusion of sorts. You'd have to defy physics to travel faster than light.

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" ~ George Carlin
Are you a cynic?

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,298 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

Any significant black hole created by LHC experiments is ridiculous.
The energy created is like 1-trillion-billionth less than required for anything significant.
I think we are safe... VERY safe.

#12    kobolds

kobolds

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

what a joke. up until now we don't even know what is black hole really is or how it form.

#13    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,395 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:59 PM

The gravity of a black hole is strong as its mass is big. Mass doesn't just come from nothing. A simple collision of quartz can't materialize enough mass to destroy the world.

#14    Em Jay XII

Em Jay XII

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:02 AM

Well, consider, too, that it is accepted that black holes are the ones that keep galaxies together, and (in that case) have done so for millions of years. Beside, this isn't new, they've talked about it for a long time, not to mention that it is a cooperation between many different countries and their scientists. It's just the ordinary media scare/hype of small stories made big.

#15    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• 1,814 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

actually I hope they create a black hole. That would be a unique opportunity to study one close.

Finally got my black belt....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users