Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Oilspill off Louisiana could threaten coast

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,765 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

news.bbc.co.uk said:

There are fears of an environmental disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, as efforts to clear up an oil spill have been suspended because of bad weather.

A drilling rig leased by the oil company BP exploded and sank off the Louisiana coast last week.

Posted Image Read more...
Thanks
B???

Posted Image

#2    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

This could be a tragedy that makes Katrina look like a tiny blip on the radar.  I wish the media was following it with the same intensity that they used to follow Katrina.  They're now saying this could be worse than the Exxon Valdes incident.

#3    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,762 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

Better believe it... This is NOT good.

The oil company that "dropped the ball" should pay FOR EVERYTHING.... and then some.  :angry:

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#4    Deja'Vu

Deja'Vu

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

• .....The Sexiest B*tch

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:57 PM

View PostHazzard, on 01 May 2010 - 10:19 PM, said:

The oil company that "dropped the ball" should pay FOR EVERYTHING.... and then some.  :angry:

Its horrible.. I agree with you Hazzard...being that Im living in new orleans :(

Im sexy - イムセクシー (Imusekushī)

#5    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,282 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:08 PM

View PostHazzard, on 01 May 2010 - 10:19 PM, said:

The oil company that "dropped the ball" should pay FOR EVERYTHING.... and then some. :angry:

Obama's newsconference today said that British Petroleum (BP) is paying for the clean up. All of it.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#6    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

This morning a large sea turtle and a moderately sized fish washed up at Daytona Beach covered in oil / sludge. I live in Florida as well. :(

Idiots, I cannot believe that we as a species still rely on oil. Absoultely inexcusable! The oil barons that are controlling the economy should either step down, or switch to something more eco-friendly, ethanol, sunlight, whatever, it has to be done.

Edited by SpiderCyde, 03 May 2010 - 02:37 PM.

#7    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

• "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." Carl Jung

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

View PostSpiderCyde, on 03 May 2010 - 02:34 PM, said:

This morning a large sea turtle and a moderately sized fish washed up at Daytona Beach covered in oil / sludge. I live in Florida as well. :(

Idiots, I cannot believe that we as a species still rely on oil. Absoultely inexcusable! The oil barons that are controlling the economy should either step down, or switch to something more eco-friendly, ethanol, sunlight, whatever, it has to be done.

All that is stopping them going for hydrogen fuel is the initial cost of investment required and the profits they will lose from giving up oil, whose demand and price they can control so easily. BP better pick up the tab but ultimately consumers will be the ones who pay, not to mention all animals and fishermen who are already paying the hefty price.

"I belive no thing, I follow the Law of One. I am a Man-O'-Sion under construction."

#8    J.B.

J.B.

Alien Abducter

• 5,427 posts

• Deadpan snarker in your midst: Jokers beware. I eat jokes for fun and spit out seriousness just because that's how I roll. :P

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

They've already said they will pick up the tab. I doubt this will kill our prices, but it's going to damage and/or destroy the BP market here, as other companies keep their prices low and BP either raises their prices to cover the cost or they eat the cost of repairs/clean-up and don't mess with their prices.

#9    4dplane

4dplane

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

• To study where I stand, teaches me what I have been missing.

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:42 AM

Yah, it looks like this is going to be really really bad especially if they can’t close the well. I personally can’t believe this is how the problem is playing out. I would have never thought that we poke holes in the ground in such ways that we could possible not stop the flow – unreal. Of course, if this oil was on land we would not be having this problem, but a lot of that easy oil has been removed so we look for more in places that are obviously more and more dangerous for the environment.

It seems under the Oil Pollution Act BP will have to cover all containment and cleanup costs. This act was created in Aug 1990 in large response to the Exxon Valdez spill. But it may also put a limit on Punitive damages, the ones that pay back individuals for their livelihood/jobs being destroyed, to 75 million.

[…]” holders of leases or permits for offshore facilities, except deepwater ports, are liable for up to $75 million per spill, plus removal costs.” source

Also, here is a video from “Democracy Now” of a discussion on the gulf spill and Punitive damages, if you are only looking for a 15 sec news clip this is not for you:
http://www.democracy...worsens_with_no

Anyone effected by this directly or indirectly please do not sign a sew waver for a quick 5000. It’s what people did during the Exxon Valdez spill and it greatly reduced the effectiveness of the people’s case. I know you need 5000 cuz you’re screwed but 5000 grand is not going to save you from the problems you now face.

It also seems that oil vapors are really bad for people to inhale and unlike the EV spill this spill/leak is close to a lot of people.

I have to say as mad as this makes me I’m glad that the flow oil is going to affect our U.S. shores far more greatly then Mexico or other gulf countries. It must stand that we reap what we sow. We must change our ways or face the consequences!

Here is a nice interactive link on the movement of oil
http://www.usatoday....l-spill-map.htm

And just to spread the hate – did you hear what Rush Limbaugh said about the oilrig burning down, something to the effect that is was a liberal plot so we can all b**** about and push our alternative energy view. Man I wish that leper would drop dead of all natural causes! The reason I bring this horrible person into view is because he reaches millions of listeners a week in the US. So these ideas and the media that backs it will be added to the mix and how we solve this problem and other future problems like it.

Edited by 4dplane, 04 May 2010 - 07:41 AM.

Any belief is a self protecting device through which the mind disconnects itself from truth. Only a mind that is free from any anticipation, hope, and belief can act justly and in alliance with truth and reality.
-Krishnamurti

Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand.
-Mark Twan

#10    J.B.

J.B.

Alien Abducter

• 5,427 posts

• Deadpan snarker in your midst: Jokers beware. I eat jokes for fun and spit out seriousness just because that's how I roll. :P

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

If the media didn't feed the trouble groups - I mean the ones who don't do their own research and rely solely on pundits, without trying to offer their own solutions to anything - then there would be a decrease in social problems. . . like, if the media didn't politicize this, there would be more people shouting "That's plain ****ing wrong!" Instead of "Liberals did it!"

#11    4dplane

4dplane

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:49 PM

So looking at the oilmap link I posted above I noticed there are a lot of oil rigs in the Gulf, so the question had to be asked - how many oil rigs does the U.S. have in the Gulf.

It looks like:
"Currently, the number of US structures in the Gulf is roughly 4,000, with 819 manned platforms." - source

And only more to show up right!

Edited by 4dplane, 04 May 2010 - 06:49 PM.

Any belief is a self protecting device through which the mind disconnects itself from truth. Only a mind that is free from any anticipation, hope, and belief can act justly and in alliance with truth and reality.
-Krishnamurti

Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand.
-Mark Twan

#12    4dplane

4dplane

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

Just Heard Mr. Obama might remove the 75 million dollar cap - that's right, **** you BP! **** you!

-Krishnamurti

-Mark Twan

#13    4dplane

4dplane

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

Here is a link of an interesting conversation about the idea of using explosives to close the well - like a nuke! Paul Noel, does not advocate for this idea. He then goes on the describe the potential size of the deposit.

"It is this deposit that has me reminding people of what the Shell geologist told me about the deposit. This was the quote, "Energy shortage..., Hell! We are afraid of running out of air to burn." The deposit is very large. It covers an area off shore something like 25,000 square miles. Natural Gas and Oil is leaking out of the deposit as far inland as Central Alabama and way over into Florida and even over to Louisiana almost as far as Texas. This is a really massive deposit. Punching holes in the deposit is a really scary event as we are now seeing. "

http://pesn.com/2010..._Earths_oceans/

-Krishnamurti

-Mark Twan

#14    Travelling Man

Travelling Man

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

• And you are asking... Why?

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

4dplane, you didn't read the Limits of Liability very well.  The limit is the TOTAL cost, plus $75 million dollars... and unless they were criminally negligent, they can't be held to a penny more unless the law is changed.

The TOTAL cost is going to be in the Billions of dollars... and then we can tack on the piddling $75 million.  BP has no legal choice in this matter - they have to pay ALL cleanup costs.

Isn't that enough for you?

Superior firepower will win over superior numbers - every time!  G.A. Custer
Superior numbers will win over superior firepower - every time!  S. Bull

My credentials

#15    4dplane

4dplane

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:07 AM

Am I wrong? I said, "It seems under the Oil Pollution Act BP will have to cover all containment and cleanup costs" - plus the 75 million.

Is this enough for me? - No, not 75 million for punitive damages - fisherman loose there jobs because the fish smell like crap, they need to be compensated. The grocery stores will loose money because the fisherman won't go shopping, they need to be compensated. The grocery owner fires an employer because the fisherman does not shop there anymore. The ex-employee will not go out for Friday night steak and strippers, etc ... - that's what I'm talking about.

The part that I am confused about is in this quote from the Oil Pollution Act,
"Holders of leases or permits for offshore facilities, except deepwater ports, are liable for up to $75 million per spill, plus removal costs."

I assume the oilrig was deepwater, but I heard today on the news that Obama may remove the limit.

Edited by 4dplane, 06 May 2010 - 05:11 AM.

-Krishnamurti

-Mark Twan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users